Growing hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmastertim

Reaction score
I am trying a second attempt at hops this year planted four plants last year and only one survived. I have really bad soil almost all clay so I was wondering if any one has tried to grow their hops in a pot? If so what type of soil etc. did you use?

Miracle grow potting mix and peat moss mixed together. You need very good drainage. The other key is to have tons of room because they spread very quickly. I grow mine in half whiskey barrel planters which provide quite a bit of room but I still think that three years is your max before you need to start fresh... I'm on yr two so I haven't gotten far enough to say that definitively though!

i grew first years in 5 gallon pots so i could keep a better eye on watering and pests . potting mix works great.

they can be killed by overwatering without letting the soil dry some, over fertilizing directly on the roots or drying completely

I use an earthtainer. It worked great last year and only needed water every 3 or 4 days in the Georgia sun. Very easy to make and holding water makes it easy if you travel a decent amount. Google earthtainer and there is a website devoted to it by a guy who grows tomatoes.

Latest posts

Back