Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although, to be fair, this is a pure assumption on my part. If I really cared, I could look at his other posts and see what he is complaining about. Today I just don't care that much.

No one has ever offended me directly, however there's a lot of rudeness and close mindedness. We are supposed to be having fun right?

A review of Black Racer. Overall, spot on, except for one glaring error:

"Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a very dark, almost black coloring with ruby highlights around the very edges and a thin, filmy, light tan coating of surface head. Aromas of roasted hops, resiny and slightly charred, and a touch of tropical fruit sweetness. Flavors of dark, sweet malt in the backbone, both fruity and a touch of molasses, with a resiny, bitter, slightly fruity hops overlay and a kiss of smoke and roast. Very balanced, on a full, smooth body. Tasty brew. The aftertaste has smoke, bitter hops, and roast, as well as a touch of chocolate. Very layered and dynamic. Slightly bitter, roasty finish that lingers long enough to entice more drinking."

A review of Black Racer. Overall, spot on, except for one glaring error:

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a very dark, almost black coloring with ruby highlights around the very edges and a thin, filmy, light tan coating of surface head. Aromas of roasted hops, resiny and slightly charred, and a touch of tropical fruit sweetness. Flavors of dark, sweet malt in the backbone, both fruity and a touch of molasses, with a resiny, bitter, slightly fruity hops overlay and a kiss of smoke and roast. Very balanced, on a full, smooth body. Tasty brew. The aftertaste has smoke, bitter hops, and roast, as well as a touch of chocolate. Very layered and dynamic. Slightly bitter, roasty finish that lingers long enough to entice more drinking.

Haha he repeats a lot too, especially the aftertaste/finish. Roasted hops? I always roast mine with my grain :s. Or put them in my smoker

Just being a noob... but what would happen if you did roast or toast some leaf hops? would you kill the essential oils? Could good things happen?

This weekend my brother in law wanted to help me brew. His mother told me that she doesn't understand how this can be legal. It's just like making moonshine. I just stared at her for a minute and went back to the kettle.

Pm sent, didn't want to post on here due to me not knowing if I can post something like that on here.

This takes the cake... watched a Swedish beer documentary. Kind of dissapointed, but at the very end something odd happens. After going all over Europe, from Czech to Italy. He then returns to Sweden, visits an old man who is unhappy that the stores have removed his favorite dark light ABV beers from their shelves.

And this old man decided to take things into his own hands. I thought to myself... "Oh, he made his own beer? Cool." but nope. Of course not. He poured three glasses... one dark christmas beer, two from the same bottle of light lager. He proclaims "Even a blind person can see which is tastier."

Then he takes a friggin' bottle of soy sauce on pours it into one of the glasses with the light lager. WTF?! That's apparantly his solution...

Apparently she's never seen moonshine being produced. Distilled like any liquor. Beer it ain't. I'd have told her the difference. Simple difference between the two.

I have noticed, particularly with older folks but its pretty epidemic on the whole... people say stupid crap because they want the attention. Im not talking a silly rant, I'm talking something offensively stupid like "this is just like making moonshine." I guarantee she felt abandoned or otherwise lonely and decided to push your buttons to make you engage.

Its just that at that point she had already said something so stupid that it would have pissed me off, but if in the same situation I knew that she was feeling left out I'd try to get her involved somehow. Even if its "hey Mrs. Martin, its a nice day why dont you grab a beer and hang with us... we're probably gonna use bad language though."

unionrdr said:
Apparently she's never seen moonshine being produced. Distilled like any liquor. Beer it ain't. I'd have told her the difference. Simple difference between the two.

After several comments about the legality of the subject I did explain to her the difference. I was simply so annoyed by her comment that at first I didn't even want to answer her. She is known for always having to be right and for her questioning the safety or legality of things everyone does. She was later nervous cause while doing and addition I had the kettle an entire 2 feet from the propane tank which she thought was just too close for comfort. Last time I brew at my brother in laws house.

Also she only drinks bud light. She doesn't like anything darker than that.

Had a pt yesterday going to a psych facility. Cool guy was a leukaemia pt also said he hadn't had friends to his house for awhile because he can't drink more than 2 beers. So we got into a beer discussion. He was a BMC drinker which is fine. Then asked if I had heard of pumpkin beer. I said yes I plan to brew one this year. He had never heard of that until his brother told him about it a few weeks ago. No problem. He then goes on to claim Budweiser is "too bitter" for him.

Had a pt yesterday going to a psych facility. Cool guy was a leukaemia pt also said he hadn't had friends to his house for awhile because he can't drink more than 2 beers. So we got into a beer discussion. He was a BMC drinker which is fine. Then asked if I had heard of pumpkin beer. I said yes I plan to brew one this year. He had never heard of that until his brother told him about it a few weeks ago. No problem. He then goes on to claim Budweiser is "too bitter" for him.

Sad state of affairs when the only reason to have guests is to drink with them. Social lubricant is nice and all, but sometimes you gotta... um... ride rough?

I brewed a pilsner a while back, and one of my friends a BMC drinker said "It's good but it taste to aleish for me though". I could've snorted. I didn't bother to explain.

Now why you gotta make fun of a dude with cancer? For shame. :cross:

My mother on learning that I homebrew.

"Your Grandfather used to make his own wine. He would collect grapes and berries, make the juice out of them then after a couple weeks decide it was done and add some vodka to it before corking. I think there are still a few bottles of it around here."

Homemade fortified wine or was he bottling mixed drinks?

My father in law has tons of stories of his dad making beer and then adding a bottle of vodka to it to give it "some kick". I guess that used to be fairly common.

My grandma used to make sour mash keg charred moon. clear & smooth. She was good. Even her sour cherry wine was tasty,but strong. She'd keep refilling your 16oz glass with more cherry wine. but go out for one beer,she'd freek out about how you're gunna get drunk!...:drunk:

I brewed a pilsner a while back, and one of my friends a BMC drinker said "It's good but it taste to aleish for me though". I could've snorted. I didn't bother to explain.

"Well, actually..."

A pilsner is a lager- so if it's "too ale-ish", perhaps you didn't keep your temps under control?

Oh, right... everyone posting in this thread makes perfect-to-style beer each and every time.

I always forget. ;)

Was watching the movie Cocktail today and he aluded to the beer being bad at Pat's place because he served "flat beer from rusty pipes".

A buddy of mine said he wanted to make a HB version of budweiser because "all those craft beers are too dark". I may need to educate this man on good beer..

Latest posts

Back