Craft Beer MAW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TNGabe said:
Well I'd take his beers. Mine are old, or at least one is and who wants old beer.

Lol some people like their beers a little older ;)

Edit: Plus it hasn't been a week for me.

Ok, TNGabe heres your list..

Heady Topper (never had it and want to propgate the yeast also)
3F-Dark lord,
CCB Huna,
Surly- Darkness
De Struise Brouwers: Black Albert
Perennial Artisan- BA Abraxas, Abraxas
Upright- any sours
Upland- any sours
Kuhnhenn- Blueberry eisbock,
Cantillon- ANY
Odell- Friek
Logsdon Farmhouse- Seizon, Seizon Bretta
GI- BCBCS, BCBS,
Bells- Black Note
Founders- KBS, CBS
Igotsand

What yeast is used for Heady Topper. I haven't opened mine from my MAW yet, I know crazy right, so I figure I'll jump on the opportunity to propagate it too. I'd love to use it for my Badfish IIPA.

KeyWestBrewing said:
What yeast is used for Heady Topper. I haven't opened mine from my MAW yet, I know crazy right, so I figure I'll jump on the opportunity to propagate it too. I'd love to use it for my Badfish IIPA.

It is called Conan. It is John Kimmich's proprietary yeast stain. I've read some awesome stuff about its attenuation and the flavors it provides.

Looks like I'm gonna have to jump on the bandwagon.

There is a monster thread here where a bunch of guys are trying to clone Heady Topper:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/heady-topper-can-you-clone-390082/

Seems like a moving target for them, but one thing they all appear to agree on is that Conan is a huge contributor to the flavor and aroma characteristics of the beer. Throws some big, unique esters--so much so that there is quite a bit of debate over whether certain characteristics are contributed by the hops or by the Conan.

I'd say if you have Heady in your possession, it'd definitely be worth it to build up starter from the dregs. :mug:

There is a monster thread here where a bunch of guys are trying to clone Heady Topper:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/heady-topper-can-you-clone-390082/

Seems like a moving target for them, but one thing they all appear to agree on is that Conan is a huge contributor to the flavor and aroma characteristics of the beer. Throws some big, unique esters--so much so that there is quite a bit of debate over whether certain characteristics are contributed by the hops or by the Conan.

I'd say if you have Heady in your possession, it'd definitely be worth it to build up starter from the dregs. :mug:

Thats the idea. Then turn that starter into 2 or 3, from there I can wash cakes to get even more.

igotsand said:
Ok, TNGabe heres your list..

Heady Topper (never had it and want to propgate the yeast also)
3F-Dark lord,
CCB Huna,
Surly- Darkness
Perennial Artisan- BA Abraxas, Abraxas
Upright- any sours
Upland- any sours
Kuhnhenn- Blueberry eisbock,
Cantillon- ANY
Odell- Friek
GI- BCBCS, BCBS,
Bells- Black Note
Founders- KBS, CBS
Igotsand

Back down to one. Guess I had a second stringer on the last one.

nedvalton said:
I think he means he didn't disclose what beers he was sending. I don't either and don't wanna know what's headed my way. Its a nice surprise

That's exactly what we did, I wanted to be surprised! And Damn!!! I was very surprised!!! Thanks again Rob, this is awesome!

00B79886-FE87-4116-B264-8F36AB1D06EE-121-00000001CE5533DA_zps76998a59.jpg

Is it weird that I am more excited about the 3 Homebrews than the commercial beers? The Rustic Saison in the champagne bottle has me licking my lips!

Nice hit Rob!!! That Guava Grove is really good stuff. I was fortunate enough to go to a CC beer dinner some months ago where they brewed a special 5gal batch of a Strawberry Saison just specifically for the beer dinner. You can't go wrong with anything they brew.

Coff said:
Is it weird that I am more excited about the 3 Homebrews than the commercial beers? The Rustic Saison in the champagne bottle has me licking my lips!

No, it's not weird. I felt the same way after a negotiated trade with Matt (igotsand). As a matter of fact his trade is why I include homebrews now! Hope you enjoy!!!

Just curious did the snifter survive the trip? That was the only thing I wasn't sure would make it packed in with the beers.

Drinking it now. It's fantastic! Feel free to include any Homebrew of yours in future MAW packages. :)

Thanks man. I love the feedback, good or bad. I am almost out of that one I gotta brew it again. Guess I will double batch. I have a 14%abv imp stout going. Its gonna age on Madagascar vanilla beans, cocoa nibs, ancho & chipotle Chile's

Thanks man. I love the feedback, good or bad. I am almost out of that one I gotta brew it again. Guess I will double batch. I have a 14%abv imp stout going. Its gonna age on Madagascar vanilla beans, cocoa nibs, ancho & chipotle Chile's

This guy really hopes that nedvalton is sending him some of his homebrews..

Updated list...

Heady Topper
3F-Dark lord
CCB -Huna
Surly- Darkness
Perennial Artisan- BA Abraxas, Abraxas, any sours
Cascade- Blueberry
Ithaca- Brute, LeBleu
Shorts-key lime pie
Upright- any sours
Upland- any sours
Kuhnhenn- Blueberry eisbock, any Meads
Cantillon- ANY
Odell- Friek
Crooked Stave- any
Hill Farmstead- any ipa or sour(I can wait if need be)
Lawsons finest- any ipa/iipa
GI- any of the Bourbon County series
Bells- Black Note
Founders- KBS, CBS
Allagash-Coolship Cerise
Dieu de Ciele Peche Mortel
Jackie O's Dark Apparition

Igotsand

This guy really hopes that nedvalton is sending him some of his homebrews..

If you don't mind waiting till Monday for me to ship I will include a few home brews. I only have one in the house and the others in my cellar. I had surgery and can't get in my cell at till Sunday. Its your call

InityBrew said:
Brewing has taught me patience . I will gladly wait.

Ha!!! I completely misread "This guy". I'm trying to figure out why someone is giving me a hard time for appreciating another fella's Homebrew. My wife is right. I need to do a better job of looking for the good in folks. Especially in this thread.

Updated list...

Heady Topper
3F-Dark lord
CCB -Huna
Surly- Darkness
Perennial Artisan- BA Abraxas, Abraxas, any sours
Cascade- Blueberry
Ithaca- Brute, LeBleu
Shorts-key lime pie
Upright- any sours
Upland- any sours
Kuhnhenn- Blueberry eisbock, any Meads
Cantillon- ANY
Odell- Friek
Crooked Stave- any
Hill Farmstead- any ipa or sour(I can wait if need be)
Lawsons finest- any ipa/iipa
GI- any of the Bourbon County series
Bells- Black Note
Founders- KBS, CBS
Allagash-Coolship Cerise
Dieu de Ciele Peche Mortel
Jackie O's Dark Apparition

Igotsand

Hmmm... think I need to take a quick trip down to the store.

Rob_B said:
Just curious did the snifter survive the trip? That was the only thing I wasn't sure would make it packed in with the beers.

Whoa, how did I miss that? That's awesome! It made it here safe and sound, can't wait to use it.

Maybe down the line we'll put together a thread where everyone collectively makes a giant yeast bank. That way you just say what your looking for and someone hooks you up. As a group the amount of strains that could be collected and kept on hand would be quite impressive.

Maybe down the line we'll put together a thread where everyone collectively makes a giant yeast bank. That way you just say what your looking for and someone hooks you up. As a group the amount of strains that could be collected and kept on hand would be quite impressive.

Or a MAW for brewing equipment! Wanting to step up to all grain, but I'm broke! Lol

Or a MAW for brewing equipment! Wanting to step up to all grain, but I'm broke! Lol

I converted a 48qt igloo cooler using a CPVC manifold and bulkhead from bargainfittings.com and am in the process of converting a keggle. I like the freedom of all grain.

Glad it didn't find it's way to the trash by accident!!!

Very nice score on that Conan slurry, I'm a little jealous right now!

I gave some to a friend to plate and he hasn't had the time. Whenever he does, I'd be happy to send out a few vials.

My buddy is supposed to be opening his nano in a month or two. I wanna see if I can culture what I've got from the can and turn it into enough for him to possibly use. I pitched the idea of making a yeast bank of really good limited yeasts and he sounded up for it.

Rob_B said:
Glad it didn't find it's way to the trash by accident!!!

Very nice score on that Conan slurry, I'm a little jealous right now!

I can ship you a vial of slurry if you want.

Especially after the haul you hooked me up with.

Blizzard is up!
I'm taking a surprise MAW!!
I just know it will be awesome!!
Igotsand

I gave some to a friend to plate and he hasn't had the time. Whenever he does, I'd be happy to send out a few vials.

Thanks for the offer, think I'll take Ed up on his offer right now.:mug:

I can ship you a vial of slurry if you want.

Especially after the haul you hooked me up with.

Thanks Ed!!! I'd love to get my hands on some. You still have my address?

Latest posts

Back