Who here doesnt hate BMC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeastMaster

Reaction score
While they arent my favorite beers I still drink BMC products. There are times when it's convenient and even *gasp* enjoyable for me. I play league pool every week and some of the spots we play at dont have much in the way of craft beer and/or the pricing of BMC makes for a decent choice. Also a nice light beer still tastes delicious to me after any strenuous activity for some reason a nice RIS doesn't sound appealing when I am drenched in sweat, where as a Rolling Rock or Budweiser hits the spot.

I'm sure I will get tons of hate from the anti-BMC mafia for this, buy I'm ok with that. I live in a beer world where everyone gets along and the population of my world seems to be rather sparse.

For those of you who still drink this terrible swill, what do you like and when do you like it?

BeastMaster,

Good luck.

Jipper.

Just kidding. These beers aren't terrible in the absolute perfect environment. Example: Hot day by the pool, and your dumb friend (who doesn't homebrew) has nothing in his / her fridge except for Coors Light. He brings me one, I look at the mountains but am color blind, so can't tell if the beer is cold or not. I open it, have a sip, turns out it was really cold (thanks a lot mountains), and enjoy a refreshing (though flavorless) beer.

They are refreshing, but so is lemonade. I do have the occasional BMC beer, but really try to stick to homebrew or craft whenever possible!

Cheers!

BeastMaster,

Good luck.

Jipper.

Just kidding. These beers aren't terrible in the absolute perfect environment. Example: Hot day by the pool, and your dumb friend (who doesn't homebrew) has nothing in his / her fridge except for Coors Light. He brings me one, I look at the mountains but am color blind, so can't tell if the beer is cold or not. I open it, have a sip, turns out it was really cold (thanks a lot mountains), and enjoy a refreshing (though flavorless) beer.

They are refreshing, but so is lemonade. I do have the occasional BMC beer, but really try to stick to homebrew or craft whenever possible!

Cheers!

lmao

I'm also a little color blind. I always thought the mountains thing was kind of dumb, but a neat marketing idea. I mean really it's an aluminum can you cant touch it and tell that it's cold?

How severe is your color blindness? I just have a mild red-green deficiency.

I like some BMC. I don't like Budwieser/Bud Light, but did enjoy the Budweiser Project 12 variety pack. Miller High Life and Icehouse are options when I'm too cheap to buy something more expensive. Coors and Michelob are quite tasty. I drink Miller Lite when I visit my sister, because that is what is in her fridge. I enjoy most every style of beer, although not every example of the style, and sometimes a BMC type beer is what I want. I have been perfecting my homebrewed american lager, and it gets rave reviews from friends who only drink BMC, but most of it gets drunk by me.

hate is a strong word. I do despise the base, light, and lighter versions though. I do enjoy a PBR on occation though.

I see a lot of negativity towards these beers here and while they arent the greatest thing in the world, I believe they have their place. The constant negativity that some would refer to a "beer snobbery" discourages people from trying craft beer IMO.

I was recently at a LHBS and someone came in who obviously had no knowledge of brewing and if I was to guess, little knowledge of craft beer. He asked some EXTREMELY basic questions about homebrewing and then asked if he could replicate a beer like PBR or Coors Light. Instead of taking a reasonable approach and possibly making a sale and/or introducing the idea of trying some more complex brews the employee of the shop scoffed the at guy and made him pretty uncomfortable to the point that he left. I was so impressed by the owners attitude that I left and I wont be returning.

What I'm trying to get at is that while I dont necessarily seek the approval of my friends for my hobby, it does bother me that others make a bad impression for homebrewers as a whole. I can only imagine what the average BMC drinker interested in brewing their own beer must feel like when stumbling across alot of the posts on this site.

I always have 2 kegs of homebrew on tap and a case of Busch Light tall boys in my kegerator. A 3% abv beer is refreshing after a few homebrews... and It keeps me level during a brew.

I don't have a problem with some BMC.

I have a huge problem with InBev, and the reason I won't buy an InBev product is the same rationale I use for not shopping at Wal-Mart.

It's not the quality of the products that are the issue (although with Wal-Mart, I would say the quality can be sub-par), it's the companies themselves. I will not buy anything from InBev. And that's hard, since they own most of the beer companies/labels in the world.

I'm all for free enterprise, capitalism, and making a profit. But I won't patronize companies that break laws to get their product to market.

I will definitely chug down a cold Miller on a hot day, and if someone offers me a Genny Cream ale, I'll chug that one down also.

I think the BMC makers make a quality product and I will not deny that.

I used to drink BMC out of being social. When college mates or friends used to hang, we always drank some version of BMC. When we went to bars or a club, we all passed around BMC. I never liked it, but drank it down because that is what was there at the time. I never knew the enjoyment from a good craft brew for a long while.

Now I don't ever have to drink another if I don't want to. My days of going to loud clubs or beer and shot joints are over. If I go to a bar, I go to brew pub for the good beer and/or food.

I keep some cans of BMC in the garage for shoving up a chicken's hoo-ha. They are good for that.

I don't have a problem with some BMC.

I have a huge problem with InBev, and the reason I won't buy an InBev product is the same rationale I use for not shopping at Wal-Mart.

It's not the quality of the products that are the issue (although with Wal-Mart, I would say the quality can be sub-par), it's the companies themselves. I will not buy anything from InBev. And that's hard, since they own most of the beer companies/labels in the world.

I'm all for free enterprise, capitalism, and making a profit. But I won't patronize companies that break laws to get their protect to market.

I will definitely chug down a cold Miller on a hot day, and if someone offers me a Genny Cream ale, I'll chug that one down also.

I think the BMC makers make a quality product and I will not deny that.

As a St. Louis area native, I have some distaste for InBev as well. The only product of theirs that I pay money for is Rolling Rock and that's only at one specific bar due to pricing.

I am not a fan of some of the InBev/BMC type practices...... as far as their product - I like "craft" beer and my own homebrew better, most of the time..... but, if I am camping/fishing/sitting around drinking all day long .... Milwaukee's Best Light is my "go-to" swill. Drank it all through college because it was cheap, and can still drink a case or two of it over a weekend fishing/camping trip. It is cold and it does the job.... plus it helps keep me hydrated:)

I see a lot of negativity towards these beers here and while they arent the greatest thing in the world, I believe they have their place. The constant negativity that some would refer to a "beer snobbery" discourages people from trying craft beer IMO.

I was recently at a LHBS and someone came in who obviously had no knowledge of brewing and if I was to guess, little knowledge of craft beer. He asked some EXTREMELY basic questions about homebrewing and then asked if he could replicate a beer like PBR or Coors Light. Instead of taking a reasonable approach and possibly making a sale and/or introducing the idea of trying some more complex brews the employee of the shop scoffed the at guy and made him pretty uncomfortable to the point that he left. I was so impressed by the owners attitude that I left and I wont be returning.

What I'm trying to get at is that while I dont necessarily seek the approval of my friends for my hobby, it does bother me that others make a bad impression for homebrewers as a whole. I can only imagine what the average BMC drinker interested in brewing their own beer must feel like when stumbling across alot of the posts on this site.
I am a beer snob, I suppose. I won't drink a Bud, Miller, Coors, or any of their light offerings. I don't like them. if someone hands me one, I say "no thanks." and hand it back. I understand and agree with what you're saying though. especially the owner/operator of a LHBS. you'd think they'd want the business and possibly turn them on to different style along the way. personal taste is a hell of a thing. mine just doesn't like most American rice/corn lager.

I'm afraid I'd rather go thirsty/hungry than drink/eat sh1tty drink/food.
And that also goes for a lot of "craft" brews.
I also agree with Yooper. I'd rather spend more money at a TJs than set foot in the black hole of humanity that is walmart.

On a hot summer day working in the yard, ice-cold Bud-in-the-can works just fine. It's extremely sessionable and is refreshing without being too dehydrating.

Homebrew is definitely tastier, but sometimes it is just too heavy. I've made a batch of Sclenkerla's Miller Lite Clone and another of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde with the hopes that these or something like them will fill the "light and quaffable yet very tasty" void between BMC and typical homebrew.

Balancing hops with such low amounts of malt seems to be a challenge - there isn't any place for excessive hop bitterness to hide. If you err to the malty side you wind up with a malt liquor. Say what you will, the millions of cases of BMC sold every year (and drunk even by homebrewers) testifies to their success in pulling this off and filling a need.

I used to drink BMC out of being social. When college mates or friends used to hang, we always drank some version of BMC. When we went to bars or a club, we all passed around BMC. I never liked it, but drank it down because that is what was there at the time. I never knew the enjoyment from a good craft brew for a long while.

Now I don't ever have to drink another if I don't want to. My days of going to loud clubs or beer and shot joints are over. If I go to a bar, I go to brew pub for the good beer and/or food.

I keep some cans of BMC in the garage for shoving up a chicken's hoo-ha. They are good for that.

I do love beer can chicken.

I dont *hate* these type of beers. they're just not my first choice. But, If I'm in a bar or restaurant, or at a friends house, and that's all they have, then I drink it, and usually enjoy them for what they are, sure, I find them generic, maybe a little bland and uninteresting, but I dont think they're terrible.

OK, maybe not coors light...if that's all there is then I would pass. but I dont think I've ever been in a situation where choice was *that* limited.

There are a couple of companies that have been bought by BMC that I'll still drink. Fox Barrel Ciders were bought by Crispin, who was bought by Coors. Because I can't find decent Perry from anyone in the USA, I still buy it. I still love Hoegaarden, even if it's owned by InBev. A traditional Wit is my next project, so I might tone that down if I can successfully match Hoegaarden's quality.

I guess that if I can find a similar product of similar or better quality for slightly more money, I'll buy it. In general, I can find an as good or better product in a smaller company, so I'll buy that.

I just took a tour of the Molson Canadian factory here in Vancouver. I'm not a fan of their beer, but man are they impressive in terms of technique. It would be Super super hard to make a beer like that and have it ready that quickly.

Props to the boys for technique and a damn fine beer to mix with clamato juice and lime!

I always have 2 kegs of homebrew on tap and a case of Busch Light tall boys in my kegerator. A 3% abv beer is refreshing after a few homebrews... and It keeps me level during a brew.

If you live in a small town, showing up to a buddy's house with a Dark Mild or a Kolsch is like going to a Super Bowl party with brie and a baguette.

Sometimes splitting a case of Busch Light while fishing is enjoyable, even if an APA would be better. My wife rips on me, but I drink Old Milwaukee Light as my light lager of choice. The company is American owned and it gets consistently good reviews (see BeerAdvocate). Also not BMC.

Michelob amber bock was my gateway beer. Came home from the army last may and went to Jacksonville Florida to pick up something I had bought. While waiting for the people to get off work decided to google what there was to do around there. First thing popped up was the Budweiser plant so me and the wife took a tour. They poured a beer of your choice at the end. Naturally I had an amber bock and WOW it was good being that fresh. So at least in that respect no I don't hate BMW either. Btw I did the free tour lol.

Its hard to start drinking 9% dipa at noon and plan on drinking past 4 lmao so when ever I'm going to be drinking all day like sporting events, holidays, birthdays or out at bar for extended times then I'm a def bmc lover. Will drink miller light or pbr till I can't stand lmao. But I will drink anything with liquer and still not my prefrence. Nor does any place here serve a session beer i can drink all day without going broke... mug.

Its hard to start drinking 9% dipa at noon and plan on drinking past 4 lmao so when ever I'm going to be drinking all day like sporting events, holidays, birthdays or out at bar for extended times then I'm a def bmc lover. Will drink miller light or pbr till I can't stand lmao. But I will drink anything with liquer and still not my prefrence. Nor does any place here serve a session beer i can drink all day without going broke... mug.

I didn't understand a floccin' thing you said. what does "Its hard to start drinking 9% dipa at noon and plan on drinking past 4 " mean?

I tried to make a light American pilsner as my first lager. It's a hard style to brew because there is so little flavor for your flaws to hide behind. Mine was drinkable and refreshing, but the time and effort involved, it's too easy to drive to the gas station and buy some.

It (BMC) has its place, and I buy it and drink it from time to time, because I too find it "hard to have a 9% dipa and drink past 4 lmao" (couldn't resist!).

I went to visit Ireland a couple years back and they serve Budweiser and color light at many pubs. You know what? It tastes good! I think it's the water. Seriously. I believe that the James Gate brewery makes it under license, at least that what the bartender said.

Anyways,

Signing off.

TD

If you live in a small town, showing up to a buddy's house with a Dark Mild or a Kolsch is like going to a Super Bowl party with brie and a baguette.

Sometimes splitting a case of Busch Light while fishing is enjoyable, even if an APA would be better. My wife rips on me, but I drink Old Milwaukee Light as my light lager of choice. The company is American owned and it gets consistently good reviews (see BeerAdvocate). Also not BMC.

Sometimes trying to turn people on to good beer is just a flat-out waste, I'll agree to your analogy. I like me some Heilmann's Old Style, Olympia, Stroh's, and even (duh duh duh) Schlitz! Keeps filthy roommates from drinkin' mah ***t.

I agree with situational awareness. Living in what is generally considered a HUGE ****ING DESERT I have had my fair share of all kinds of cheap light lager. When it's 130 degrees outside I can't say I've seen anyone really aching for an ice-cold imperial stout that cost 10 bucks for a bottle. Many folks who say they'd never touch a BMC product haven't woken up in a searing hot tent in the middle of the desert with only MGD or Coors light that's icy-fresh and numbing enough to dull the cumbersome heat of the desert (Lake Powell anyone?). Most of the time's we make jokes about what we're drinking but face it, it's icy cold, and you're goddamn hot. Most of the time when we call for a "Perrier" it's subtle humor for a Coors light, since the two are similar. Also the watery light lagers are good for, well, hydration and recreation all in one convenient light package so it's not a PITA to haul out.
Sometimes when the mood strikes me and I'm not doing R&D (wink wink) I'll settle for a nice Mexican lager or similar domestic just out of pure cost/convenience. Nothing says classy like tall cans of Tecate before noon on a hot June day while you tend to the green chile pork slow cooking on the stove, then when you're sure it's steady, siesta time!

I really love wine too and I see it all the time at local vineyards. Charlatans and fools playing at the conoisseur, saying there above large-production wines and only drink this and that of such and such years, even though their opinions are false and clouded with the know-it-all attitude. Unnecessary pretentious malarky if you ask me. Enjoy all the good aspects, even the "cheaper" stuff, cellar the really fine bottles, keep sipping.

"Stay thirsty, my friends"

I didn't understand a floccin' thing you said. what does "Its hard to start drinking 9% dipa at noon and plan on drinking past 4 " mean?

Meaning like its hard to drink higher percent craft alcoholic beverages all day starting at noon amd not be crawling on floor in couple hours. Least it is for me. Was a little drunk last night when posting.

There is a time and place...but for me not often and in few locales.

Basically reserved to some tailgating and more so outdoor activities where cans are a must. Although SNPA in cans will take over some of those places. Since distribution sucks in WV and needing canned beer is typically a short notice thing so I cant go to MD or PA to buy cans of good beer.

While I definitely agree every beer has it's place (i.e. a nice chocolate stout on a cold winter night, an ice cold bud light with some wings at the beach, etc.), I even enjoy BMC just because sometimes that's what I crave. Sometimes I just want to sit back and have a few Milwaukee's Best Ices, because that's what I'm craving. Other times I'm craving a good Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Other times I'm craving a Lime-A-Rita, Twisted Tea, or Bud Light Lime. Other times I'm craving a good Belgian Triple.

Not only do I feel certain beers have their place, I just have a wide variety of tastes and crave different things often. Some people will only drink single malt neat. I'll drink that, or the bottom shelf plastic 1.5L for $4.99 with a bucket of ice and Cherry Coke.

I just have too much love to give. It's a curse...

It's funny, my friends are usually surprised when I drink a Bud Light, or order a regular old Budweiser or Coors. What I usually tell them is that they all have their place and are very good representations of their styles. Plus, they make for a good beer by the pool on a hot Texas day (well, not today, it's 47 degree's here in Arlington right now:p).

And, well, sometimes they're the only option or the most cost effective. :mug:

Let me put it this way. If I go to someone's house and they ask "I'm getting a beer, do you want one?" I will say "sure! thanks!" and whatever it is, BMC or no, I'm gonna drink.

I have to hand it to the major brewers, these guys can churn out a bazillion gallons of product day after day and maintain consistency in taste.
The Bud you drink today will taste exactly the same the next time you drink one.
I only wish I could maintain that quality and consistency between my 5 gallon batches.

I have said before so here goes again...

I don't hate BMC in fact I have admiration for the advancements in overall brewing processes they have attained which has trickled down to craft brewers. The science involved has done great things for all brewers so there is no denying that at any level.

That being said, I don't enjoy the majority of the beers they produce, not out of snobbery but just not a fan in general of lagers or the crystal clear and relativley flavorless beers they produce. If someone hands me one I will drink it, but I don't put it anywhere near my cart when shopping because it doesn't appeal to me.

Yes. I'll drink Bud Light tailgating or at baseball games or concerts if there's no other alternative. I still like my Amberbock which was my gateway beer.

I say it's like enjoying a nice rare steak. That steak is better in every way than a hamburger, but I still eat hamburgers.

Me, I don't hate BMC.

Years ago, I bought stock in InBev. They've since merged with/bought Anheiser-Busch to become AB-InBev. It's been a very profitable stock for me.

If you meant the beer, then no, I'm not a fan, but if it's a hot day and nothing else is available, I'd drink it.

I save my hate for terrorists & groundhogs (it's been a long winter). PBR, Miller High Life & Coors Banquet have been know to pass my lips a few times.

Back