(casual talk) any one name their wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woozy

Reaction score
Among bakers, it's a cultural thing (pun unintended) to name one's sourdough starter. So do any brewer's name their wort.

I don't mean name as in "i call this 'redeye IPA'". I mean name as "good morning, Simon; you're bubbling away nicely, Good boy"

Name it, afraid I do not.

However I do treat that plastic pail/glass carboy as if it or they are the alter of the gods, beer gods that is! :cool:

Name it, afraid I do not.

However I do treat that plastic pail/glass carboy as if it or they are the alter of the gods, beer gods that is! :cool:

So, when not in use, do you prefer to bathe them them in chicken or lamb blood? Or do you spring for the human virgin?

Difference between a sourdough starter and wort is the starter goes on for years if treated right and you only use a small portion of it to bake your bread, and kinda becomes a part of the family. The wort eventually ferments out and will relatively quickly be consumed.

Sorta like with animals on a farm you intend to slaughter, as it will be harder to do if you previously named it, if you name your wort, it's hard to drink something that has a personal name :)

Difference between a sourdough starter and wort is the starter goes on for years if treated right and you only use a small portion of it to bake your bread, and kinda becomes a part of the family. The wort eventually ferments out and will relatively quickly be consumed.

Sorta like with animals on a farm you intend to slaughter, as it will be harder to do if you previously named it, if you name your wort, it's hard to drink something that has a personal name :)

But then it goes to your beer belly and you can spend the rest of your lives together!

All of my beers lately have been named after Tolkien characters. I just brewed Galadriel, a Kolsch, and bottled Mandos, a Biere de Garde, yesterday.

All of my beers lately have been named after Tolkien characters. I just brewed Galadriel, a Kolsch, and bottled Mandos, a Biere de Garde, yesterday.

Nice. I just named my Belgian Pale "Aeluin". It's fun. A series of the Valar would be awesome...they have cool and less-well-known names.

Also, as a matter of terminology, I always name my wort "beer" as soon as the yeast is pitched...

Nice. I just named my Belgian Pale "Aeluin". It's fun. A series of the Valar would be awesome...they have cool and less-well-known names.

Also, as a matter of terminology, I always name my wort "beer" as soon as the yeast is pitched...

I have geeked out way more than is probably healthy. I have a Fellowship series, a sour hibiscus saison named Yavanna, a Dortmunder named Celeborn (brewed two days before Galadriel), etc. All my English beers are named for different hobbits from history, stouts for dwarves, strong Belgians for the Valar/Valinor themed things, I could go on, but most people have no idea what I am talking about.

I just call them all "buddies". They don't stick around long enough for a proper introduction.

I have geeked out way more than is probably healthy. I have a Fellowship series, a sour hibiscus saison named Yavanna, a Dortmunder named Celeborn (brewed two days before Galadriel), etc. All my English beers are named for different hobbits from history, stouts for dwarves, strong Belgians for the Valar/Valinor themed things, I could go on, but most people have no idea what I am talking about.

That is awesome. I applaud you. Wow. I love it

I'm impressed... and a little scared.

Oh, and the mash paddle I just crafted has Tengwar inscriptions on the handle reading "brandbaradh" and "faelbaradh," "nobelsteep" and "generoussteep" respectively.

Still not sure if "baradh" means steep as in soaking grains in water or steep as in not gently sloping. I enjoy my interpretation.

Among bakers, it's a cultural thing (pun unintended) to name one's sourdough starter. So do any brewer's name their wort.

I don't mean name as in "i call this 'redeye IPA'". I mean name as "good morning, Simon; you're bubbling away nicely, Good boy"

I learned young that you don't name livestock.
A "good morning yeasties" is as far as it goes.

Oh, and the mash paddle I just crafted has Tengwar inscriptions on the handle reading "brandbaradh" and "faelbaradh," "nobelsteep" and "generoussteep" respectively.

Still not sure if "baradh" means steep as in soaking grains in water or steep as in not gently sloping. I enjoy my interpretation.

I'd like to see some pics of those :)

I learned young that you don't name livestock.
A "good morning yeasties" is as far as it goes.[/QUOTE]

Same here

Back