FG possible with no OG ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonianBrewer

Reaction score
I didn't get a OG because the hydrometer kept sticking to the side if the tube , so can I get a accurate FG not knowing my OG?

Are you brewing allgrain or extract? If it's extract just brew and go by what the recipe says. If you're topping off to the correct final volume then your beer will be what the recipe says.

Sure. But without an OG, it might be a bit difficult to know what your FG is supposed to be. If you brewed an extract recipe, it's probably safe to assume that your OG was in the neighborhood of where it was supposed to be, also with the assumption that your wort volume in the fermentor was correct.

It's a dunkelwizen from extract its near bottling time can I check it then and get a somewhat accurate idea !

Yes, you can.

If you used all of the extract and hit your volume of beer, then your OG *has* to match the recipe. Take a FG, and you're good.

Do be sure that gravity is stable before you bottle. Take a reading, skip a day, take another reading. If they match, you are okay.

FG and OG are two completely separate measurements. Without both you won't know how much alcohol you have or what percentage of attenuation your yeast completed. You will only know if your fermentation is finished--and this only with at least two stable FG measurements since you can't calculate what your FG should be. You don't need the first to get the second, but without the first the second is pretty useless.

Latest posts

Back