Pickles in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryfi

Reaction score
I work at a pub in Albany NY and a couple from S. Dakota just ordered two bud lights with a dill pickle spear in each. They said that's the way they drink it in S Dakota can anyone elaborate on this? Where/when did this tradition start?

I just googled and can't find anything that directly mentions doing that......Except this thread.

Only thing I can think of is Cheladas in Mexico, which are kind of like Beer Bloody Marys and they sometimes have pickled vegetables and peppers, but not gerkins....

Interesting

Sounds like something you would find in Mississippi, and having lived there for a year, I don't mean that in a bad way. Dill pickle sunflower seeds are pretty tasty, well as are dill pickles themselves, so this might be interesting. Not to great a leap from people putting salt, lime, or tomato juice in their beers.

It mentions in this article about pickles and beer pairings that straight up dill pickles pair really well with a pilsner. So it's not in retrospect too far a stretch to see how folks would serve them in there.

As a longtime home canner and even longer pickle enthusiast, this combination struck a flavorful note. What do beer and pickles have in common? Why do they go so well together? And, can you actually make pickles with beer? Since beer flavors and the ingredients in beer offer so many different tastes, and knowing that you can pickle an almost unlimited variety of vegetables, fruits, and other foods…the tasty conundrum is how do you go about it? Enter: Brooklyn Brine Co. and Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales

Beer and Food Extra: Principles of Matching

All pairings boil down to a few considerations, primarily: what kind of flavor profile do both the pickle and the beer offer? What kind of flavor experience do I want to have? What is the pickle made from; vegetable, fruit, other? And what are the major flavors in the beer I want to complement and enhance with the pickle?
Craft Beer and Pickle Pairings

Doppelbock | spicy pepper pickles
Kolsch or pilsner | dill pickles
Kriek lambic | Pickled beets
Nut brown | curried carrot pickles
Wit | pickled ginger
Porter | preserved roasted red peppers

Craft Beer and Pickled Fruit Pairings

Abbey ale | pickled spiced lemon rinds
Belgian-style ale | sweet watermelon rind pickles
Hefeweizen | spiced orange slices

The International Gherkin

While researching this topic, I learned that beer and pickles is a universal idea. Restaurateur and Chef Sanaa Abourzek shares that going for “beer and pickles is a common social outing in places like Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Italy.” Beer and pickles both have somewhat fluid boundaries for what defines them and their making in different parts of the world. It’s great to see such common goodies as beer and pickles bring the globe together!

A lot of us have been experimenting with IPA pickles lately.

It mentions in this article about pickles and beer pairings that straight up dill pickles pair really well with a pilsner. So it's not in retrospect too far a stretch to see how folks would serve them in there.

A lot of us have been experimenting with IPA pickles lately.

Well that's it, I'm going to have to go make that IPA pickle recipe now. See what you did?!

Thanks for the replies! I got a chance to talk to the couple they didn't have an answer as to where or when it started but they said they even drink it with pickled eggs, sliced no less. Do people from SD hate beer...well they must if they are drinking bud light ( haha)

Only thing I can think of is Cheladas in Mexico, which are kind of like Beer Bloody Marys and they sometimes have pickled vegetables and peppers, but not gerkins....

When I was a kid :D , a shot or two of tomato juice in the beer was a tasty and popular drink.

Flavoring a BMC with the salty, sour tang of a good dill pickle doesn't sound all that bad!

Yep, tomato juice, lime, a dill pickle and green olive, splash of tabasco sauce, salt and pepper. It's a hangover cure in the southeast USA. I know this from working as a bartender in my younger years, the tradition has carried on. Normally vodka would be used, but if you are treating a beer hangover, then you use cheap beer instead of vodka. Straight up pickle juice works great for a hangover, that is where the tradition came from.

Hair of the dog that bit you. Called a bloody beer.

I dunno, whenever I'm in Mexico and the beer choices are very very few (Corona, Pacifico, Estrella, Leon, etc.) I usually throw a lime and pickled jalapeno in them.

Otherwise they just taste bleh....

Keep in mind, we are talking about a state where a drug store is one of the top three places to visit.

Wall_Drug_t658.jpg

11748457-wall-south-dakota--september-26-2008-famous-wall-drug-store-in-south-dakota.jpg

WallDrugAnimalQuartet.jpg

So, pickles in Bud Light doesn't seem extraordinary.

Latest posts

Back