sanke conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcog

Reaction score
I happened to find a used sankey keg at a yard sale so I bought it to try my conversion...........
I started by taking out the split ring that holds the ball valve in

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107727&stc=1&d=1363309654

Then with a twist of the ball valve to line up the tabs in the slots the ball valve pulled straight out

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107728&stc=1&d=1363309654

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107729&stc=1&d=1363309654.

I purchased a 2" tri clamp cover and clamp and drilled and tap 2 1/4"npt holes at approx 10 degrees

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107730&stc=1&d=1363309654

then spot faced a 3/4" dia x approx .100 deep on the bottom of one of those holes and silver soldered a 3/4 stainless tube in the spot face and cut it to the same length of the total length of the original ball valve and tube seems to work great :mug:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107731&stc=1&d=1363309654

I did add a relief valve as you can see in the pics just for added safety

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Now I have the ball lock fittings so this keg will attach to most any homebrew system

Ive had lots of compliments on this from my friends on how simple ans nice this setup looks thanks:ban:

Looks great! Good idea and well done!

How much $$ do you have in the conversion?

Could be used as a fermenter if you make one with a shortened dip tube.

I didnt really keep track.............The most expensive parts are the fittings I bought them from midwest brewing. The tri clamp parts were bought from MSC. So fittings total was about $22 Tri clamp cap and cover about $15. I did machining myself ...so Im guessing I have under $40 in it.. and fermenting would be a grest idea too

then spot faced a 3/4" dia x approx .100 deep on the bottom

Lost me here? Have a pic of that?

I don't have a pic of the spot face. But in the last pic where you see the silver solder joint for the stainless tube that is where it is.. Basically its just a 3/4" cut .100 deep so the tube can slide in and make a better solder joint

looking at getting more sankey kegs............ looks like Ill be building more

Almost done with a new version. This one has a relief valve in the tri fitting....Ill post pics soon....

Almost done with a new version. This one has a relief valve in the tri fitting....Ill post pics soon....

I can see a side business in your future :D
Any reason why you couldn't go for a smaller diameter diptube? or do you need to use all the meat in the TC to thread?

Yes I need the large diptube cause the threads are at an angle causing an eliptical hole. There is not much extra room...

What gasket did you use? I'm using the black rubber one with a lip, and it doesn't compress enough to get the clamp on.
I've also got an o-ring that fit's perfectly in the groove, and it clamps well, but the notches are dangerously close to the seal.
I'm wondering if the silicone gasket without the lip would be the way to go?

I have used a o-ring with sucess, also Ive used a specially made tri clover tri clamp gasket that is flat on one side to seal a 2" tri clover cap to a Sanke Keg Ferrule. This is a replacement seal for a Sanke Keg Fermenter Kit from Brewers Hardware

Sorry last pic is blurry guess i got a little to close lol

Going to fill today wit my habanero banana beer for first fill with this upgrade

oh man that is pretty slick. I have been thinking about making the switch or at least starting to make the swtich and this would be a great way to connect the sanke kegs without changing everything over at once.
Very Nice!

Yes the dent in the tube is for the lower lip in the neck of the keg. I might be able to adjust the machined holes but with the relief valve things are pretty tight..but the dent wont anything either :D so I might just leave it well enough alone....

Nice conversion! Being that I had a kegerator system before I got into homebrewing, however, all my couplers are all D-type sankey couplers so I have been on the hunt for 1/6th barrel sankey kegs so I don't have to convert my whole system to the soda keg couplers. At first, taking the ring out was a pain, now it takes about 30 seconds to take off and 30 to put back on. I like it this way because I am the only person in my group of friends who homebrews but I have lots of friends with kegerators.

sure I just made a smooth nut brown and last 5 min of boil I added 1/8 cup habanero powder. then added 5oz of banana extract in the secondary. I also waited an extra week in the secondary so I could soak 4 cut bananas in there.. so far it tastes great. Now I'm naturally carbonating in my sankey keg

I have 2 extra adapters for sale at $85 each includes shipping

Just wanted to give an update.. I have used this adaptor for two batches and it works beautiful. No problems with holding pressure and is much easier than trying to reinstall the original spear and collar.

I JUST SEEN YOUR POST SORRY FOR DELAY... I don't have any made at this time but hope to soon thanks for your interest Ryan

thats an awesome idea you have there! It's funny I was just thinking about the kegs I just acquired and was thinking about a fermentor cover and tri clamp for a fermentor and I thought that I didn't see anyone with your idea for home-brew.
Removing the spear to clean a snake keg seems like a hassle every time but your idea really rocks and I've got to give you two thumbs up. I was thinking that I could just use the gas in valve to relieve pressure but just pulling the pressure relief valve would be easier yet! I think you will sell a whole lot of these. :mug:

Great job! I have a keg that I'm wanting to do something similar with. Your thread says that you used a 2 inch tri-clover clamp but my keg has a 2.5 inch opening. I'm assuming that they are all a standard size. Does the 2 inch clamp fit the 2.5 inch opening?
THANKS, MIKE

Latest posts

Back