Crisp Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How do you make the beer crisp? Finally drinkin Yoopers Cream Ale..tastes great, but just does have that crispness......it's too smooth

I make a recipe that is 2-row, carapils, and minute rice that comes out very crisp. I mash it at 148.

Can you brew lagers? Mash reeeeeally low (146ish) and use about 20% corn or rice, and use an American lager yeast.

never brewed a lager, but I have the means to. I'm gonna brew the Centennial Blonde(Bier Munchers Recipe) tomorrow or Monday....will think about mashing it a few degrees cooler?

I made a light hybrid lager with WL029 German ale/kolsh yeast. I used german & Czech hops for that light spicy thing that,mixed with the profile created by the yeast,made a light crislpness that's been pretty good. The best part is the yeasts' ideal range is 65-69F! Makes a light malt profile that's pretty well balanced with the hops.

today.....strike water @ 160 , added grain bill, mashed at 148-150 for 75 mins. Efficiency looks to be 70% (OG1.044) time will tell for crispy beer

PackerfaninSanDiego said:
today.....strike water @ 160 , added grain bill, mashed at 148-150 for 75 mins. Efficiency looks to be 70% (OG1.044) time will tell for crispy beer

Grain bill?

Lower your OG. Low gravity beers taste like crap until they've carbed for a couple of weeks, then they shine, and they are "crisp". Keep the crystal malts to a minimum.

To make a truly crisp beer though, a german pilsner with pilsner malt and noble hops, fermented cold, with a LOT of lager yeast will do it for you. Every spring I make a metric ton of the stuff, get it in kegs, and lager for the summer. I've got a bunch going right now.

+1.. I didn't get really crisp beers until I started making lagers. I've made a few kolsch's that were pretty crisp, but it's not the same as a nice crisp clean German lager..

+1.. I didn't get really crisp beers until I started making lagers. I've made a few kolsch's that were pretty crisp, but it's not the same as a nice crisp clean German lager..

will see after this batch of yellow fizzy beer,,,,,if I'm not happy. I'll go the lager route,,but according to Yoopers recipe, it's supposed to be crisp

I'd look at your water chemistry. Even with a low FG, if your chlorides are high you get a soft, rounded malt character. Add a tsp of gypsum per 5gal to your next mash--should help significantly (if you are getting a low FG already, that is).

I'd look at your water chemistry. Even with a low FG, if your chlorides are high you get a soft, rounded malt character. Add a tsp of gypsum per 5gal to your next mash--should help significantly (if you are getting a low FG already, that is).
I will take a look at it.......wouldn't hurt either way
He knows, he was being a smarty pants...

I doubt it

Back