Beer has a yeasty flavor to it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psuhammer14

Reaction score
Hello all! First post here, :) first batch of beer made, :) and 1st problem encountered :(

I brewed a Heffeweisen with my Mr. Beer kit and fermented for 2 weeks, then bottle conditioned for 2 weeks, then cold conditioned in the fridge for 2 weeks. When I tasted the beer yesterday it had a pretty pronounced yeast flavor to it.

I didn't use the yeast they included in the kit, I bought new dry yeast from the home brew store and used the same weight (the new yeast packet was a lot larger than the packet in the kit)...

I used 15.1 oz grolsch swingtop bottles and 1 tsp of regular sugar to bottlle prime with.

I have read a few posts here and there that said this might be due to the fact the beer needs more time to age in the fridge, is that possible? I'm also wondering if for some reason I used too much yeast, or this particular yeast needed to be pitched before adding it to the fermenter. Mr. Beer kits tell you to just sprikle the yeast on top of the wort after it is all added, so I did that.

Any help here would be awesome.

Cheers!

Hey, I also started on a Mr. Beer. I would say that the yeast you used was too pronounced for the mr beer kits. They include their yeast probably because it was made to pair specifically with their kits. Thats the only thing because based on what you did, you bottle primed good and you fermented and conditioned good. I would say the yeast. Hope that helps!

Be careful with how you pour the beer. With 2 weeks in the fridge the yeast should be well settled in the bottom of the bottles. When you pour out the beer to your glass, pour nice and slow and leave the last bit of beer in the bottle. With some practice you can leave all the yeast behind.

I have this problem with Mr. Beer too. Tastes like I'm drinking bread. I'm going to open one tonight that's been lagering since February 1 to see if it has corrected itself.

depending on the yeast you used it might not settle if its a hefe yeast. those are usually cloudy and some have some yeasty flavor to them. Being mr beer i assume its a 2.5 gallon batch so if its a 15g package of yeast you probably over pitched it a bit but i cant imagine that would effect it that much.

i assume when you say pitching the yeast prior to pitching it to the wort that you mean rehydrating. That shouldnt effect the beer that much. Ive done both with fine outcomes.

What temps did you ferment at? And what yeast did you use? Give us those and thats a good starting point. Also, have you had a commercial beer of the style your trying to brew?

depending on the yeast you used it might not settle if its a hefe yeast. those are usually cloudy and some have some yeasty flavor to them. Being mr beer i assume its a 2.5 gallon batch so if its a 15g package of yeast you probably over pitched it a bit but i cant imagine that would effect it that much.

i assume when you say pitching the yeast prior to pitching it to the wort that you mean rehydrating. That shouldnt effect the beer that much. Ive done both with fine outcomes.

What temps did you ferment at? And what yeast did you use? Give us those and thats a good starting point. Also, have you had a commercial beer of the style your trying to brew?

It looks like it was dry yeast, and only a portion of that. A dry package of quality yeast comes in 11 gram packages. That's usually about right for a 5 gallon batch. Half a package of the 11 gram package would be the correct amount, about 5.5 grams.

I suspect that the yeasty flavor comes from too little yeast, and a too high fermentation temperature (over 66-68 degrees beer temperature). A stressed yeast will often result in yeasty flavors.

It looks like it was dry yeast, and only a portion of that. A dry package of quality yeast comes in 11 gram packages. That's usually about right for a 5 gallon batch. Half a package of the 11 gram package would be the correct amount, about 5.5 grams.

I suspect that the yeasty flavor comes from too little yeast, and a too high fermentation temperature (over 66-68 degrees beer temperature). A stressed yeast will often result in yeasty flavors.

thats what i thought. i couldnt remember if thet were 11 or 15 gram packets :drunk:

Back