Chocolate Cherry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebrew

Reaction score
Yes I did type Chocolate Cherry Wheat, and I am wondering why non of us have tried paring these flavors in a wheat before, as the flavor is awesome. I put this on tap and it didn't even make it a week everyone loved it that much.

[size=-1]BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com[/size]
[size=+2]Recipe: Choc Cherry Wheat[/size]
Brewer: Chris Stocker
Asst Brewer:
Style: Witbier
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (47.0) Nice Chocolate and Cherry at the Nose
Starts with a nice cherry flavor and traditional wheat feel
Slight sweetness balanced out by Choco and Cherry bitters
Clean finish with Chocolate bitterness at the end

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.27 gal
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 6.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
Code:
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
5.7 oz                Pale Malt, 2 Row American (MaltEurope) ( Grain         1        4.9 %         
5.5 oz                Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)                       Grain         2        4.7 %         
3 lbs 0.3 oz          Wheat Dry Extract [Boil for 60 min](8.0  Dry Extract   3        41.7 %        
0.98 oz               Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min     Hop           4        13.8 IBUs     
3 lbs 0.3 oz          Wheat Dry Extract [Boil for 30 min](8.0  Dry Extract   5        41.7 %        
2.00 lb               Cherry Pie Filling (Boil 10.0 mins)      Flavor        6        -             
1.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis - Bull C Yeast         7        -             
8.0 oz                Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM)           Sugar         8        6.9 %         
4.00 oz               Cocoa Nibs Cracked (Secondary 1.0 weeks) Flavor        9        -             
4.00 oz               Maraschino cherry juice (Bottling 0.0 mi Flavor        10       -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 7 lbs 3.8 oz
Code:
Notes:
Steep at 152F for 30 mins
Rinse with 1 Gallon of 170F water

Puree the Cherry filling into a smooth liquid
Lactose is added at the end of the boil for residual Sweetness
Soak the Coca Nibs in Vodka for 4 days prior to adding to Fermintation Bucket
Cocoa Nibs should be added after 1 week of beer in the primary

Beer should be in Primary for 2 weeks

ForumRunner_20130404_165717.jpg

On a 1-10 how strong are the chocolate and cherry flavors?

I'll say Sam Adams Cherry wheat is a 7.5 for comparison.

Pretty sure it's going to be my next batch after I try this watermelon wheat

If you like wheats the base recipe for this is a good one. I use it and add devinchis sugar free peach syrup for an awesome summer brew. About 4 ozs to a 5 gal batch makes the right balance.

I'll check it out. I have been consistently brewing wheats with extract and am finally transitioning to partial mash.

I am in same boat been doing extract for years, then started mini mash and now just ordered a bag to do biab for all grain. Its a great hobby enjoy it. And let me know what you think of the beer.

Ironically I'm drinking a cherry wheat as I type. Priced the cacao and lactose. Going to do a watermelon wheat next. Here's the ingredients for that

ForumRunner_20130406_185239.jpg

I wish I liked ipas. I've tried a few from breweries and not my thing. Going to do the deception cream stout...once I'm finished up all these fruit Wheats.

I just checked that recipe and the label alone makes me want to try it. Damn you, Darth Vader!

Back