2013 NHC first round results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or, like in my case, where a 30 squeezes it's way into mini BOS (judged by recognized and certified) and gets 1st place in Mini BOS which had a Grand Master III judging....something funny going on there.

Grand Master: it's what the BJCP has in common with rap music circa 1980. :mug:

Had to be a bad bottle. That's a tough break man. At least you know for certain that you've got one through.

Yeah..... it got compared to "asparagus" a little more than a beer really should:) And, I am happy to get one through - that was a goal of mine, and I can check that off.

we are still talking about the national homebrew competition, correct? If you're looking for the best of the best of the best, sounds like its time to go pro and hit gabf. Otherwise, last time i checked, its still an amateur competition, and i pay aha dues and entry fees just like everyone else.

+1

Or, like in my case, where a 30 squeezes it's way into mini BOS (judged by recognized and certified) and gets 1st place in Mini BOS which had a Grand Master III judging....something funny going on there.

That's another example of what I am talking about. If a 30 point beer can ultimately win 1st but a 45 point beer gets shut out....that's a huge problem with the judging system. Why assign numerical scores at all in the first flight? A judge can just write down comments/feedback and if they like the beer they can move it into the mini BOS all without giving it a score. You only receive a score when it is in the mini BOS or higher. That would eliminate any discrepancy....the highest scored beer gets first place.

That's another example of what I am talking about. If a 30 point beer can ultimately win 1st but a 45 point beer gets shut out....that's a huge problem with the judging system. Why assign numerical scores at all in the first flight? A judge can just write down comments/feedback and if they like the beer they can move it into the mini BOS all without giving it a score. You only receive a score when it is in the mini BOS or higher. That would eliminate any discrepancy....the highest scored beer gets first place.

That's why I posted it.

Regardless of the scores, I'm just happy I got a couple through to the second round.

Given the large volume of entries to the NHC regional contests, I strongly doubt any beers less than a 35 are making it to the mini-BOS, and that is being conservative. I also doubt you'll see a beer less than a 35 make it a mini-BOS at a regular competition.

As for filling out mini-BOS scoresheets...what is the point? There has already been scoresheets completed for each entry in the mini-BOS and the mini-BOS is simply to assign ribbons. Completing a score sheet to an acceptable standard takes me about 15 minutes. You seem to be hung up on score = ribbon, and in a single flight with the same judges, yes that is correct. The mini-BOS is supposed to take scoring differences from multiple sets of judges, set them aside, and choose the ribbon winners as a consensus.

i wish, i got a 30.5 and no place marked on the score sheet, i'm still holding my breath....

Given the large volume of entries to the NHC regional contests, I strongly doubt any beers less than a 35 are making it to the mini-BOS, and that is being conservative. I also doubt you'll see a beer less than a 35 make it a mini-BOS at a regular competition.

As for filling out mini-BOS scoresheets...what is the point? There has already been scoresheets completed for each entry in the mini-BOS and the mini-BOS is simply to assign ribbons. Completing a score sheet to an acceptable standard takes me about 15 minutes. You seem to be hung up on score = ribbon, and in a single flight with the same judges, yes that is correct. The mini-BOS is supposed to take scoring differences from multiple sets of judges, set them aside, and choose the ribbon winners as a consensus.

You're right I am hung up on the score. It just seems that if we don't need a score to determine the winners in a mini bos why do the judges need a score to determine the winners in a flight? They can just do what the judges in a mini BOS pick the ones they like best. I don't see the purpose of assigning a score if ultimately it means nothing and just causes confusion. Just check the appropriate overall impression instead of assigning a score.

Phunhog said:
You're right I am hung up on the score. It just seems that if we don't need a score to determine the winners in a mini bos why do the judges need a score to determine the winners in a flight? They can just do what the judges in a mini BOS pick the ones they like best. I don't see the purpose of assigning a score if ultimately it means nothing and just causes confusion. Just check the appropriate overall impression instead of assigning a score.

Not being flippant, but if you don't like it, don't enter. I think bjcp is a joke, but I entered anyway. It will be fun to see my scores, but I doubt I'll go through all the hassle again.

Not being flippant, but if you don't like it, don't enter. I think bjcp is a joke, but I entered anyway. It will be fun to see my scores, but I doubt I'll go through all the hassle again.

I feel the same and have a love/hate relationship with comps. They serve a useful purpose....getting useful feedback I just think they need revisit handing out scores. I wonder if people would enter if they ONLY got feedback and not a numerical score unless their beer placed?

I don't totally understand why we must wait to hear back results until all centers are judged. In local comps I enter, even the larger ones with 700-1000 people, they put the results online the night of or day after. I can't figure out why they are making us all wait until May 4th to hear the results.

Does anyone have any insight? I understand it's a big process to manage these events efficiently and timely, but if the local ones can always pull it off, how come the AHA can't? There's so much effort involved in the brewing/registering/shipping plus the very high cost per entry, it would be nice to receive feedback and/or the winner list in a timely manner.

Something about how those who enter regional competitions that are judged earlier would have an unfair advantage over those who have to wait a couple weeks to get their results, even though there are several examples of people on this board already aware of whether their beers placed or not.

Something about how those who enter regional competitions that are judged earlier would have an unfair advantage over those who have to wait a couple weeks to get their results, even though there are several examples of people on this board already aware of whether their beers placed or not.

That makes sense, I suppose, but as you mentioned a lot of folks have already received score sheets back. Additionally, all judging is done now (or at least is scheduled to be done) so hopefully they release the winners soon.

I don't totally understand why we must wait to hear back results until all centers are judged.

It's just something else for folks to ***** about, IMO.

it would be nice to receive feedback and/or the winner list in a timely manner.

The perceived issue is that because this isn't a one time comp, but just the first round; those receiving advanced notice will somehow have an advantage in advancing to the final round. I guess.

Yeah; the perceived advantage is a crock, IMO. Many styles can still be rebrewed with no issue between May 4th and the end of June, and for those styles that can't (meads and big ol' beers especially), the extra couple of weeks isn't going to matter anyways.

Bottom line, if you think you have a beer that's worthy of the final round; you better already have planned to save a couple extra bottles or fit it into your brewing schedule so that it's peaked at about the end of June.

Speaking of which, I better get that starter going today.

The Atlanta judging dates listed in the AHA website (4/12 - 4/14) are incorrect. They were actually judged this past weekend. AZ, I agree you with that most beers will likely be fine for end of June if brewed in the next few weeks. I have a couple lagers that I entered that I'd rather not have to re-brew unless they move as they'll more than likely take up my sole fermentation chamber.

Yeah; the perceived advantage is a crock, IMO. Many styles can still be rebrewed with no issue between May 4th and the end of June, and for those styles that can't (meads and big ol' beers especially)

The problem is the entries for second round will be due in Philly around May 28th or so. Still time to rebrew one batch but what if you have more than one going to the second round?

There's arguments for both side but it should be consistent. Some are getting just scoresheets back, some are getting whether they placed or not, and some aren't getting anything (i.e. me, and my region was judged on April 5th).

It is my understanding that the winners are usually announced on site when the judging is complete. This practice might give a little re-brew heads up advantage to those who volunteer to judge and steward. I don't have a problem with that.

The problem is the entries for second round will be due in Philly around May 28th or so. Still time to rebrew one batch but what if you have more than one going to the second round?

There's arguments for both side but it should be consistent. Some are getting just scoresheets back, some are getting whether they placed or not, and some aren't getting anything (i.e. me, and my region was judged on April 5th).

Where are you seeing the May 28th deadline for 2nd round entries?

Second round entries are due beginning Monday June 3 with the final receiving deadline being Monday June 17.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.o...competition-information/rules-and-regulations

Whoops...I was looking at the date that Janis would have the instructions out by. I thought they had to be in earlier last year when I sent mine, but NHC is a week later this year too.

Sorry...didn't mean to make anyone's heart skip a beat.

I've been checking the mail everyday for my scoresheets and have been disappointed each time. On the bright side, I only have to wait a maximum of 12 days before seeing the results. Hopefully the "by May 4th" indicator means they will get them out sooner. I think this new registration system was supposed to make it easier on Janis to process the results when they came in.

come on!! i want to hear more scores, the lows and the highs...

sorry some of you have to wait so long.... its not really fair.

All locations are reporting either "Completed" or "Processed" now, so I suspect we'll know soon.

That would be great. Then I can decide which beers taking up space in my fridge need to be saved...or which ones I can use to drown my sorrows :cross:

That would be great. Then I can decide which beers taking up space in my fridge need to be saved...or which ones I can use to drown my sorrows :cross:

Haha, I hear that. I'm sitting on a handful of each that I entered. If they don't pan out I can put them into the 'serving' fridge. My wife hates that there's a selection of beers that are off-limits.

I have to be honest, this is a great thread showcasing the problems within the AHA. As the current rules state, everyone is allowed to enter this completion and everyone who entered should receive good/great feedback from the judges. Problems arise when the different locations do things out of line with the AHA guidelines. Some with place awarded marked, some without. Mailing and/or posting the results change show an underlying problem with the leadership.

The AHA needs to strive to be consistent more than anything. Going into a debate about grading the best of show is a hole different animal. We all understand or should of understood the rules before entering this competition. After the dust settles, the AHA should release a statement addressing these issues.

The rebrewing only really effects a couple of categories within this competition. Mostly the IPA and Pale ales. No one is going to rebrew a Pilsner, Bock, Belgian Dark Strong, etc. So holding back the results in my opinion is pointless. Plus, if it was that important for me having early results, I would of entered the region with the quickest score sheet turn-a-round. At this point in time, withholding the results only negatively effects the regions who followed the rules.

Speaking of problems within the AHA, someone should forward this thread to Fred Bonjour or Justin Crossley as they are on the AHA Governing Committee and they deal with issues just like this. It's their job to make things better. Anyone know their email addresses?

Speaking of problems within the AHA, someone should forward this thread to Fred Bonjour or Justin Crossley as they are on the AHA Governing Committee and they deal with issues just like this. It's their job to make things better. Anyone know their email addresses?

These are the members of the Competition Committee:

Tom Schmidlin (Chair),Harold Gulbransen, Susan Ruud, Paul Schick, Curt Stock, Gordon Strong and Jamil Zainasheff

Their email addresses are on the AHA site:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/membership/aha-governing-committee

edit: I forwarded off an email to Tom Schmidlin

All locations are reporting either "Completed" or "Processed" now, so I suspect we'll know soon.
That's interesting, but what does it mean?

Does "completed" mean that the competition is over, but they haven't "processed" the results?

If the results are "processed" does it mean the the AHA has the results?

If NY is "processed" where are the f#!$!$#g score sheets?

Does "completed" mean that the competition is over, but they haven't "processed" the results?

I was going to ask the same thing, I'm not sure. It's progress, that's the important thing.

The better question is how long does it take someone to enter the winners for each region into the website? Three or four hours?

*sigh*.

I know I'm complaining and need to be patient, but I'm not feeling patient today.

AFAIK,Completed means the judging is done and sent to the AHA. Processed mean inputing the results into the database. I believe Janis Gross pretty much runs the whole show (with help I'm sure) and does all the database work herself.

Mailing of scoresheets is the responsibility of the site organizer.

Here is a reply from Tom Schmidlin, who is on the AHA Governing Committee, on the message I sent him:

The instructions to the different regions were clear, but some of the
organizers either did not read, did not remember, or ignored them. Since we
rely on these volunteers to actually run the competition, we don't want to
give them too much of a smack down when they break the rules.

We'll talk about how to address this in the future, maybe increase the
number of places where we explain things, reminders judging weekend, or
something like that.

AFAIK,Completed means the judging is done and sent to the AHA. Processed mean inputing the results into the database. I believe Janis Gross pretty much runs the whole show (with help I'm sure) and does all the database work herself.

Mailing of scoresheets is the responsibility of the site organizer.

Here is a reply from Tom Schmidlin, who is on the AHA Governing Committee, on the message I sent him:

The instructions to the different regions were clear, but some of the
organizers either did not read, did not remember, or ignored them. Since we
rely on these volunteers to actually run the competition, we don't want to
give them too much of a smack down when they break the rules.

We'll talk about how to address this in the future, maybe increase the
number of places where we explain things, reminders judging weekend, or
something like that.

At least it is something.

We'll talk about how to address this in the future, maybe increase the number of places where we explain things, reminders judging weekend, or something like that.

how about not having a big fat "PLACE AWARDED" box on the cover page? they could even go so far as to print on that cover page "Placement will be announced at a later time, once all judging is complete". seems simple to me.

The better question is how long does it take someone to enter the winners for each region into the website? Three or four hours?

*sigh*.

I know I'm complaining and need to be patient, but I'm not feeling patient today.

Completely agree!! Especially since some of the winners have been known for weeks(but kept secret). I would think only the winners from the regions that went last should have to be entered. It's not like somebody can protest or anything....it is what it is.

Latest posts

Back