Aluminum Vs. Stainless brew kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard rumors that aluminum can spot leaks; told to me by people that deep fry turkeys on the reg. I personally bought an 8 gallon SS pot and have never looked back. Just make sure that whatever you get is over 1mm thick throughout though, that's important.

There is no such thing as "better" in most of these questions, just a matter of preference. Read the FAQ that was posted above, and you decide for your self. I use both and there is no difference.

There is nothing wrong with aluminum, I just like stainless for the fact that you can clean it with just about anything. Aluminum can be more reactive. I actually use a 7 gallon aluminum pot for heating all my strike water though. I'm just more of a fan of stainless and it's properties. IF you think you are in this for the long haul, I would go with stainless.

Stainless is better, aluminum is good enough. I'm sure my old turkey pot would have a hole in the bottom by now if I had brewed as much beer in it as I have with this fryer. The stand is not doing so well. My cheapo SS pot shows little signs of ware. It may last a lifetime.

10517341_820108704690193_6400602713476083841_o.jpg

The decision to use aluminum vs SS is really up to you. I had reservations about using aluminum pots because of all the crap we were fed during the 90's about aluminum causing alzheimers. All bull**** apparently. Restaurants use aluminum all day, every day. If it works for them, it'll work for you. :)

I bought my 15 gallon aluminum stock pot from bass pro 5-6 years ago. Dented, stained, ugly, beat to **** and I love it. No plans on replacing it anytime soon.

***damnit! old thread. :)

I started with aluminum for extract. It came with a burner. After moving to all grain soon after, I bought a nicer SS kettle, since I knew I was a fan of the hobby and wasn't just going to blow a bunch of cash on something I would do a couple times and then get bored of. I now use my aluminum pot to heat up most of my water.

I only own stainless and I'm a BIABer. I almost don't even have to wrap my kettles to maintain a constant mash temp.

I think investing in quality stainless kettles is totally worth it.

I have all MegaPots from Northern Brewer.

/Will always still be figuring it out/

Latest posts

Back