I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, They're are those who pay and those who get paid. You and me are in the former...

It can bring on some "PissedOffedNess" :D

Pappy how'd your date go?..
Man by now you ought to be either getting it on or sleeping blissfully. Or just hanging for a bit on HBT

I've always run my own businesses so no tax refunds, it's always paying out the ass. A few years back, found out I owed over 10K. Been hell paying that off along with everything else they say I owe them, year after year.

I've always run my own businesses so no tax refunds, it's always paying out the ass. A few years back, found out I owed over 10K. Been hell paying that off along with everything else they say I owe them, year after year.

Know what bugs the **** out of me?

Pappy how'd your date go?..
Man by now you ought to be either getting it on or sleeping blissfully. Or just hanging for a bit on HBT

None of the above. My 15-yr-old invited 2 of his friends to sleep over. They are watching a movie.

I did a bunch of testing on my fish tank (another of my OCD hobbies) and I'm about to call it a night. We'll see if the wife is frisky tonight in a minute.

None of the above. My 15-yr-old invited 2 of his friends to sleep over. They are watching a movie.

I did a bunch of testing on my fish tank (another of my OCD hobbies) and I'm about to call it a night. We'll see if the wife is frisky tonight in a minute.

Pappy, with out sanding homosexual. You I consider a really good freind. Hop you have a wonderful nigh with the wife. Blink, blink.

You ought to go to bed now... One last thought.. You ever played a James Bond roll? If not. Hmm. You could. To bad I don't have a Hollywood underhand. Or you would be James Bond...Pappy style.

Pappy, with out sanding homosexual. You I consider a really good freind. Hop you have a wonderful nigh with the wife. Blink, blink.

You ought to go to bed now... One last thought.. You ever played a James Bond roll? If not. Hmm. You could. To bad I don't have a Hollywood underhand. Or you would be James Bond...Pappy style.

Bwaaah! Druck azz post if I ever saw one, or you're typing on an iPhone.

Dan, you are awesome. I am going to check out now. See you all in the AM.

Okay, this text roll is a bit weird..MAYBE...**** caps...

Ahem,, WTF was it I was trying to say>

Suggestions welcome...............

Just because someone approaches you in an uncomfortable manner, does not mean you should throw sand in their eyes. Sand in the eyes is very painful no matter your sexual orientation.

:tank:

So I told the chicken people that I think my chick has a tumor growing out of it's ass. Yuck, sounds like it might be protruding intestines. Who else just almost puked a little?

Forgive me, as I copied and pasted this post from a post a made on Beerforum.com... I thought I'd share here as well.

So, my poor dog has been really sick for a couple days. Purging from all ends. I started to stress about it a little today, because she was turning down food. She's never done that. Ever! We got her some Pedialite, and I've been trying to get her to eat all day. Tried rice, boiled chicken, egg white, spent grain, and even dry cat food. She just nibbled on some of it. Now, tonight she seems to have gotten an appetite, as she's eating her dog food again. She's also been drinking the Pedialite all day, so maybe that helped. Sometimes our pets can be like part of the family. Like children almost...

Have you ever had or made hard root beer?
I did, a long time ago. I remember it resembling root beer, but being a little bitter and a little odd tasting. Sorry, I can't be more specific. That was around 14 years ago, and my palette wasn't particularly developed at that point.

I've been wanting to get a baseball cap with those kind of lights on them. They sell them at Lowes. It would be great for my old, aging eyes when I'm doing detailed carpentry at work.
Why not get a bonking cap?

Brewing, kegging, napping. I'm feeling left out. Dang, I bet you all even have your taxes already done. Homework tonight and taxes tomorrow. I did manage to fit in a two hour bicycle ride and start my first batch of sonofgrok's rice wine. I'm also very interested in how Leadgolem's RYR project will turn out.
My taxes have been done since about 12 hours after I got the last document I needed, but I did get money back this year.
Well BobbiLynn. You could have slammed an old 2 x 4 on a Rooster's head like my big brother did. Didn't work out well though. Darn rooster was meaner than ever after that.

I think domineering presence is your answer.
Oh, there is a definite cure for the attitude problem. It involves a 2x4, 2 large nails, and a hatchet...

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you who speak Geek...

I wanted to import and index my music from my network drive in exaile. Exaile won't use a nautilus shortcut to a network folder, hmm ok. I was trying to link my network shares into my home folder last night and discovered you can't create symlinks to network shares. I ended up mounting the shares in my fstab. One of the mount points has a space in the folder name. Protecting the path with quotes or double quotes did nothing. I discovered that in order to enter a special character as part of a path in your fstab you have to escape the character and then enter the hex code for it... Ok. Mental note, try not to use folder names with spaces in them as mount points... All setup and indexed now. It's nice to have a 2tb network drive.

One of my pet peeves is when people put spaces in file names or folder names. No spaces in file names or folder names, ever!!!

Will you guys girls consider safe using a co2 extinguisher as a co2 bottle for carbing beer? I got a couple of brews that I want to keg today.

For those of you who speak Geek...

I wanted to import and index my music from my network drive in exaile. Exaile won't use a nautilus shortcut to a network folder, hmm ok. I was trying to link my network shares into my home folder last night and discovered you can't create symlinks to network shares. I ended up mounting the shares in my fstab. One of the mount points has a space in the folder name. Protecting the path with quotes or double quotes did nothing. I discovered that in order to enter a special character as part of a path in your fstab you have to escape the character and then enter the hex code for it... Ok. Mental note, try not to use folder names with spaces in them as mount points... All setup and indexed now. It's nice to have a 2tb network drive.

Have you compared Exaile and Clementine?

I've got 2 filled RAID5 NAS's on my home network. All the music, photos family video, and hollywood movies are on there. The first NAS I got was 1TB, the second is 4TB. Now I've got to get another. The next one should be a monster.

Will you guys girls consider safe using a co2 extinguisher as a co2 bottle for carbing beer? I got a couple of brews that I want to keg today.

I'm not quite sure what that means. Did you discharge a fire extinguisher and refill it with CO2?

Hold on. My Tall Tales meter is going nuts. ::rockin:

I did, a long time ago. I remember it resembling root beer, but being a little bitter and a little odd tasting. Sorry, I can't be more specific. That was around 14 years ago, and my palette wasn't particularly developed at that point.
I received a bottle in a beer trade a couple weeks ago. It tasted like, well, root beer. I was pleasantly surprised. It was 5%abv, but you couldn't taste alcohol much at all. It would have made an excellent ice cream float!

Good morning!

Mornin' buddy!

Coffee is coursing through my veins. Dog is feeling better. The sun is shining. It's looking like it will be a good day!

Oh man what a weekend so far. Started cutting that wood and buggered my back on Friday but had to go and pump a septic tank yesterday for a buddy. I have been on the hot pad all morning long and I think I am headed right back to it.

Dan I think we are going to need some young blood in our town. I just cannot do as much as I used to be able to :(

EDIT: Wow, was I on a ramble or what. I think I kept repeating the instructions so I could understand. Sorry for the long post.

Top of the text edit. I have been writing this awhile now. I ramble. Hope you might get some help from this

Okay, here is a little math. I realize I'm in the presence of people with more math skill than me, engineers and mathematicians, so throwing this out is probably akin to a 1st grader talking about life.

Anyway..

I calibrate my brewing vessels by adding a specific amount of water and then making a measurement mark.. Sight glass or stick.

It takes to much time and is a hassle. I found a better way

Find the cubic inches in a pot and work from there.

Measure the height of the pot, usable height. Might not be the top of the pot. It's (H)

Measure the diameter. That's (D)

Divide the diameter (D) by half and it will give you the radius (R)

D/2 = Radius

Take the radius and multiply it by itself
R x R

Multiply that by the usable height
Times it by Pi or 3.1415... (it's pretty much a never ending number. A couple digits after the (.) will work just fine for our use

I use inches. Metric it easier

Radius X Radius X Height X 3.1415 = Cubic Inches

There are 231 CI per gallon.

Now you can divide the cubic inches by 231
to find out how many gallons your pot holds.

Example

I have a brew pot that I only fill to the 15 inch mark and is 11" wide.

(Height) H = 15

(Diameter) D =11

(Radius) R = 5.5 (D/2)

Multiply the radius by itself

Radius times Radius (R x R)

Multiply that by the usable height (R x R x H)

Multiply that by 3.1415 (or Pi) (R x R x H x 3.415

I'm doing this in inches so final outcome is inches. Metric is easier.

Here goes..

R * R * H * 3.1415 = Cubic inches

There are 231 cubic inches to a gallon

Divide total cubic inches by 231 to equal gallons.

So for my examle

Lets just do basic math

Again

R * R * H * Pi = Cubic volume

My pot is is 11" wide and 15" tall

5.5 x 5.5 x 15 x 3.1415 = 1,425

Now divide that by the usable height of the pot

Mine is 15 inches usable

Total cubic inches / by height = inches per gallon.

I think.

If there are any, and I know there are. More proficient people at math and make my long post much simpler I ask your help.

Hmmm.. the kettle I use the most is marked, little lines saying how many gallons I got. Well, I didn't get around to brewing last night, so brewing today. Time for a happy brew day dance.

:ban:

I've got 2 filled RAID5 NAS's on my home network. All the music, photos family video, and hollywood movies are on there. The first NAS I got was 1TB, the second is 4TB. Now I've got to get another. The next one should be a monster.

PP,

Is this the Clementine your talking about?

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_74&products_id=482

** EDIT **: Whoa, where did that link come from. I don't think AHS has any product called a clementine. Here is the correct link:

http://www.clementine-player.org/

Tell me about your NAS devices? I'm shopping for something and would be interested in your experience.

PP,

Tell me about your NAS devices? I'm shopping for something and would be interested in your experience.

Clementine is a music player, a replacement for Itunes.

A NAS is Network Attached Storage. It's just a box that you can slide a number of standard SATA drives into. The NAS makes the drives look like one single drive (at least in the RAID5 configuration). Then you plug it into your router at home and you can see all the content (wifi, or wired ethernet). I wired my house since WiFi doesn't do well with HD video.

I love my NASs. They are both DNLA compliant, which means when I turn my TV, playstation, computer, iPhone on, I can stream all the content from the NAS. DNLA is a standard for media streaming. Not all NASs to this. Many of the home models do, but the business models mostly don't.

I have a Buffalo and a QNAP. The QNAP is a much better unit. My next will likely be a Synology box.

My family (even my wife!) can turn on the tv and choose my Photos, Music, or Movies folder. Under each folder is all the family photos, video, and music we've ever had (I converted everything, CDs, video tape, to digital a long time ago). I've even ripped most of the movies we own onto the NAS, even at least 100 HD movies. So, the NAS makes all that content instantly available. Note that you need a "smart" tv to make this work, or at least something connected to it that is DNLA compliant (i.e., Playstation, Xbox).

Sorry, I could go on and on.

Have your ever had a thought in your head but can't get it out.. For instance.

I just had a very deep, detailed dream. I was snoozing and when I woke up didn't remember a dam thing. All I know is the dream was good.. Thats it

I hate it when I can't remember good dreams.

Well, forgot I'm doing a mini-mash extract kit and failed to add the extract. Was looking and smelling good without it. Had already added my first hops, just turned off the heat, added the LME, and now bringing it back to a boil.

:drunk:

I guess I was to tired last night. It's actually a 3TB NAS. I haven't played with clementine. I'm going to try and get my fedora 17 system to talk to my Iphone. No service on it now, but my new phone doesn't output enough power to really run the headphones I like.

I received a bottle in a beer trade a couple weeks ago. It tasted like, well, root beer. I was pleasantly surprised. It was 5%abv, but you couldn't taste alcohol much at all. It would have made an excellent ice cream float!

Mornin' buddy!

Coffee is coursing through my veins. Dog is feeling better. The sun is shining. It's looking like it will be a good day!
Hmm, that would be an interesting rootbeer float. I might have to make some eventually.
I calibrate my brewing vessels by adding a specific amount of water and then making a measurement mark.. Sight glass or stick.

It takes to much time and is a hassle. I found a better way

Find the cubic inches in a pot and work from there.
I would think that making the measuring stick would be the simpler way to do this. Pick up some sheet stainless steel at the hardware store. Bend the end over so it hooks onto your pot, but doesn't quite hit the bottom. Then add water, and use a pair of tin snips to cut notches out of it.

PP,

This is the one I bought. I'm very happy with it. My only real gripe is that using the bit-torrent client on it murders it's data transfer rate to anything else.

DNLA, multiple shares, user account management, all accessible via a pretty simple web interface.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clementine is a music player, a replacement for Itunes.

I wired my house since WiFi doesn't do well with HD video.

I have a Buffalo and a QNAP. The QNAP is a much better unit. My next will likely be a Synology box.

Note that you need a "smart" tv to make this work, or at least something connected to it that is DNLA compliant (i.e., Playstation, Xbox).

Right there with you. When we built in 2000, I ran Cat 5e everywhere. There is even a connection behind the main floor fridge. I think I saw a CNET show on smart refrigerators.

On to the important questions. Why Synology over Buffalo and QNAP?

I see that Clementine can play music stored on the Google Drive, but cannot play music stored in Google Play. Hmmmm.

Last year the boy and his roommates created a Google account separate from their main email accounts that they would all share and where each one of the four roommates would push as much of their music up to Google Play. I think they got close to 15,000 songs. And with unlimited voice/data on their phones, its no big deal to stream a couple hours of music a day from the shared account.

Back