Show me your tap handles!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is one I just cooked up today. This was the shifter knob from my first Mustang!!

image-2761579339.jpg

My buddy made me this one from an old shovel handle and one piece of rope...he's good with knots.

P2112855.JPG

Nice!

I got a book on knots and I'm sure that kind of knot is in it, but honestly some of those knots look pretty hard to do right.

I have made a monkey's fist years back so I could throw a rope over a high branch easily.

Here is a Sam Adams tap handle that I turned into my own by scanning the marker card into photoshop and had is printed a Walmart as a photo. I can just change the card out for the current beer I have on tap.

They are all very interesting. Any recomendations for the maximum weight one should use on a handle/pull? Found some interesting resin figurines, but at 10" tall I suspect they may be a tad heavy...

I made these 2 chalkboard tap handles from staircase parts I got at Homedepot.

535965_626904586456_345703403_n.jpg

I used a pre-primed 36" Baluster that I cut to length for the handle itself.
I used a poplar staircase oval rosette for the "signage" portion.
Used some wood glue and a few brads to attach the rosette to the trimmed baluster. Woodfiller in the brad nail holes. Quick sanding. Drilled holes in the bottom of the baluster/handle for the bolts. Then taped and painted the handles, Dried, taped and painted the chalkboard.

The squared off portion of the Baluster is behind the rosette.

I painted them with 4 coats of a textured off-white spray paint. The rosette was painted with 8 coats of chalkboard paint.

Bill of Materials :
Baluster = $3.98 (home depot)
Rosette = $5.98 (home depot)
Ferrule = $3.50 (kegworks)
Bolt = $2.25 (kegworks)

Cost per Handle = $15.75 before paint

Chalkboard Paint = $6 (home depot)
White Textured Paint = $6 (home depot)

Plenty of paint per can to make several handles, so I don't really include it in the cost of the handles themselves.

Here is my tap handles on my still tower! The handles are made from cherry and the rings slide up and down just to make people wonder how it was made! Beeswax and mineral oil finish. The keezer has 1/8 inch cork on it with walnut from my woodlot which holds the beer glasses on the left and the controller for the tower on the right with a hidden copper pipe hidden out through the back for CO2 line and electrical lines for fan inside tower head. The copper pipe is filled with foam and sealed with silicon. The tower is divided so the cold air comes from the keezer bottom through a flex tube , Blows through a computer fan up at the 2 taps and down the other side past the temperature probe which is attached to a freezer pack (for thermal mass) and back into the keezer via another hole in the tower. The tower's nameplate says: "Barnstead Still and Sterilizer Co., Forest Hills, Boston, Mass" The unit works great.

The drip trays are magnetic stainless steel parts trays from The John Deere dealer as a promotional item! The trays have acrylic plastic glass holder inserts added to cork spacers underneath with stainless steel screws. Easy to clean and easy to remove but they never slide!

The tower is 14 1/2 inches high without the handle and 10 1/2 inches in diameter. I used custom made walnut spacers behind the taps to connect to the tower's round surface.

Brew Team photos 003.JPG

Here is my tap handles on my still tower!

Damn! That's so frickin pretty.
This is how far i got, which was throwing a bunch of crap onto my pingpong table. I will some day build a tap wall of sorts with this junk. I would really like to make my own taps but i think the physics of a carbonated beverage elude me.

wish i knew how to make my pic bigger.

1.jpg

I made this one for a friend. The glass vial came with a vanilla bean I bought for a stout I brewed a while ago. I added a tap handle ferrule and some cascade hops.

2015-07-22.jpg

Can someone link me to the thread with the guy who made the leg lamp tap handle? (A christmas story) I can not find it anywhere...

I haven't built any but I have ended up collecting a bunch that I need to sort through and sell some off lol but you guys have given me some ideas for building handle to the toy store I shall go :mug:

14914983_1499155343434595_549687094_n.jpg

14957956_1507537462596383_793472918_o.jpg

taps.jpg

I soldered the caps on and drilled one end to attach to the faucets so they are empty. They're definitely sturdy enough for everyday use. I thought of using galvanized pipe too, which would look more industrial.

These aren't mine, but I intend to do this. Someone else mentioned connecting rods earlier and said to use aluminum, which is sage advice, but it looks like all of these are steel rods, of various types. Motorcycle rods would probably be better. I had some from a 350 I was going to try, but they might be too big. Several taps were also made from used camshafts, they were either small motorcycle shafts, or larger ones cut into pieces.

0219171150_zps8zkaps6d.jpg

It was at a place in Coeur D'Alene called "crafted". A cool spot any homebrewer would enjoy for both food and drink. They had about 70 brews on tap, many of them local.

Latest posts

Back