Carbonated Taste That Fades

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerandguitars

Reaction score
Hello All,

Well I just tried some of my first Oatmeal Stout last night and it was pretty good except for a couple things. I kegged the beer Monday night and let it sit at 30PSI overnight in the kegerator, released the valve on the keg and then set it to 5PSI for serving last night.

At first, the beer has a bit of a carbonated-tasting edge to it...hard to really describe well. But, as the beer sits, losses a bit of carbonation, and warms up that tastes disappears and is replaced by more complex flavors from the beer itself.

Has anyone had something like this happen? I'm wondering if the beer simply hasn't reached it's proper carbonation point which is why I taste...I think carbonation-y tastes? Right now I am letting it sit at 5 PSI for the next week to see if that helps.

Are you carbonating it cold? yes-- I agree that it is likely that it has not fully carbonated to your desired psi. I have had this happen before, and it is solved by setting co2 and letting it sit for a week or so.

The carbonationy taste that disappears is the CO2 escaping the beer as it warms up. Warmer liquids don't hold gases as well as colder liquids do. I had a scottish heavy that had the carbonic acid bite from overcarbing when i first started kegging. My solution now is to set it at 10-15 psig and leave it for a week, carbs up perfectly now. The hardest part is waiting.

The beer was carbed at 30-35 degrees. I think then it seems the beer / keg is over-carbonated. Would a good solution be:

1. Let out the CO2 from the keg using the valve
2. Let the beer sit overnight to release some CO2
3. Re-apply 5-10PSI for the next week until the beer corrects itself?

Or should I just lower the PSI to 5-10?

Or is there no fixed for over-carbed keg beer???

That sounds good, when i overcarbed i took the co2 off of it, bled off some pressure so it wouldnt foam out and just drank the beer until it equalized out. You definitely have to depressurize the keg otherwise the problem wont go away.

Back