I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got thinking, but can't remember now what it was about. This oregano beer, I am already trying some, is over the top, insane good. Must trade some. I bottled some in 22 oz PET, to safely trade and not send bottle bombs in the mail. Is this legal? You just can't send through the USPS, has to be a private company like UPS or FEDEX?

Cool! My 8 year old sons little advertisement for a local bank was chosen to be in the paper today. All the little things that make us glad we feed them ;) keep up the good work!

Thanks!
It is indeed the little things, and yet she's totally lucky I still feed her at her age!

Your son has talent! I'd let him write an ad for my business!

You just can't send through the USPS, has to be a private company like UPS or FEDEX?

Exactly! With UPS being the more lax of the two. I recently sent some beer via UPS. They dropped the box and broke a bottle, but quickly removed the broken glass and re-packaged and fulfilled the delivery. All without ever giving me a hard time about shipping beer. I've heard that FedEx is not as friendly in a similar situation...

Exactly! With UPS being the more lax of the two. I recently sent some beer via UPS. They dropped the box and broke a bottle, but quickly removed the broken glass and re-packaged and fulfilled the delivery. All without ever giving me a hard time about shipping beer. I've heard that FedEx is not as friendly in a similar situation...

No worries about breaking a bottle, PET plastic will travel and does not affect the taste of the beer. If I can work out a couple trades, I'll send mine safely.

Stauffbier said:
From my recent studies I'd say start by letting a gallon of whole milk expire for a week. Then use the instructions from the mozzarella video I posted a few pages back (I'll re-post if you like). The spoiled milk seems to always end up making ricotta instead of mozz...

On another note...
I know to other people it isn't anything special, but my daughter made a coffee mug in her art appreciation class in college. I think it's super cool, and I'm very proud of her creativity. I raised her by myself since she was 6, so I get a little excited at how far she has come in life. Even if today it's just something simple from an elective class.

Nice! I also have a tiny A&W mug :)

bottlebomber said:
Cool! My 8 year old sons little advertisement for a local bank was chosen to be in the paper today. All the little things that make us glad we feed them ;) keep up the good work!

Also nice!

From my recent studies I'd say start by letting a gallon of whole milk expire for a week. Then use the instructions from the mozzarella video I posted a few pages back (I'll re-post if you like). The spoiled milk seems to always end up making ricotta instead of mozz...
Lol, it has to do with the acid denaturing the proteins when they have been heated. You could follow this. Though it's a bit involved. I think it's more a matter of temperature rather then acid type. Between 135-140f you get something stretchy like mozzarella. Around 165-185f you get ricotta. Though there is a gremlin in there someplace that sometimes gives you one when you wanted the other.

The short version is, heat your milk between 165f-185f in a non-reactive pot, then add vinegar and stir gently until the curd and whey separate. The whey will turn yellow, and won't be as opaque. This can take between 1/2 cup and 1 1/2 cups vinegar depending on the milk. Pour the curd and whey through a clean undyed dish towel in a colander.

Bunch up the dish towel around the curd, and rinse it under cold water in the sink. The acid level from the vinegar is going to be a little high, and if you leave it in there it's going to be pretty tangy.

Wait for it to drain, 20 minutes or a bit longer is what I usually do. Then salt, about 1/2-1 tsp for each gallon of milk you used. Stir it all up. Stick it in something like a tupperware container in the fridge.

Heating the milk takes the longest. You need to do that over no more then medium heat, and stir regularly. If you try to heat it to fast, or don't stir, you will end up with scorched milk on the bottom of your pot. It's a pita to scrub out.

If you use milk that has soured it's already got lactic acid in it, so you don't need as much acetic acid from the vinegar. It also is a little more reliable if you want ricotta. Fresh milk sometimes goes stretchy, I've never had that happen with sour milk. Sour milk also retains some of it's tang, in a good way, no matter how well you rinse it.

Hmm thinking about the music and my childhood. In high school we had cowboy hall, jock hall,stoner hall and such.Most of the kids pretty much stayed in the hall with their peer group but not I. I was a cowboy hall guy but spent as much time in the other halls as I did in cowboy hall. I listened to all different genres of music and still do. The old country and classic rock are still my go to music :mug:

Hmm. A 22 ounce beer does not weigh 22 ounces, :smack: Weighs just over 2.25 pounds. With packaging say 3 pounds and UPS wants $15.00 to ship that!! Dang, I want to trade some beer but this may not be worth it. :mad:

Probably be better to trade in larger quantities. Or just suck it up and pay the price to ship one. Or wait until I have at least 6 of these big boys to ship out. Oh, the dilemma.

Hmm thinking about the music and my childhood. In high school we had cowboy hall, jock hall,stoner hall and such.Most of the kids pretty much stayed in the hall with their peer group but not I. I was a cowboy hall guy but spent as much time in the other halls as I did in cowboy hall. I listened to all different genres of music and still do. The old country and classic rock are still my go to music :mug:

I remember high school and the way kids would group together in different areas of the halls. I would usually hang with the nerd crowd, but would also wander over to the stoner crowd to talk to some friends there. Neither one of these groups got along with the jock / preppy crowd. I had an arch rival in the preppy crowd. Though I can't remember her name now. She thought she was so popular but surprise, there are more nerds and stoners than jocks. She was voted president of the vocational school and I was voted vice-president as a freshman. First freshman to hold the position. She put up posters and ran for it, I didn't. I was just nominated, then people voted for me. She won but it was close and she wanted to win and I didn't give a crap. After I won vice-president, I stepped down, let the runner-up have my spot. Highschool sucked. I only went the one full year than quit. Seemed like a waste of my time.

BobbiLynn said:
Hmm. A 22 ounce beer does not weigh 22 ounces, :smack: Weighs just over 2.25 pounds. With packaging say 3 pounds and UPS wants $15.00 to ship that!! Dang, I want to trade some beer but this may not be worth it. :mad:

Probably be better to trade in larger quantities. Or just suck it up and pay the price to ship one. Or wait until I have at least 6 of these big boys to ship out. Oh, the dilemma.
Never worth it to shop one... The cost to add another beer in the package would be probably $3 more. Try USPS! They're far cheaper for small packages, probably by half. If anyone asks, you're shipping live yeast cultures.

I typically ship about 7 to 9 twelve ounce bottles for about $25 with UPS. Keep in mind they also charge by how large the package is. Their shelf space is like real estate.
If anyone asks, you're shipping live yeast cultures.

That's what I always ship! ;)

So moving the larger chickens to the bigger brooder, should have waited until hubby not here. He's yelling, catch him, catch him, that chicken is getting away!! No, calm down, chicken is not going anywhere. They are scared because they are chickens, flew out of my hands but he's not going anywhere. They just land somewhere and you pick them back up. They are too chicken to try and run away. They realize they don't know where they are at and freeze, scared stiff. Chirp, chirp, squawk, squawk, and just wait there to be picked back up. They are saying, help, help, I'm loose, put me back in my cage where I can be safe again! Hubby said okay, he is going to his barn to work on some stuff. We will free range some of them once they get big enough. And they learn how to run from danger instead of just standing there squawking, like a target. Or maybe they will never be smart enough for that. Bird brains.

I am starting self defense classes tomorrow. The YMCA. Woo hoo, after tomorrow do not try to attack me in a parking lot, I will be ready. Years ago I was mugged in a parking lot. Still afraid of parking lots so my head doctor said take some courses in self-defense, it will make me more confident, and not scared, like a chicken.

I am starting self defense classes tomorrow. The YMCA. Woo hoo, after tomorrow do not try to attack me in a parking lot, I will be ready. Years ago I was mugged in a parking lot. Still afraid of parking lots so my head doctor said take some courses in self-defense, it will make me more confident, and not scared, like a chicken.

I started my self defense classes yesterday. I will always be two days ahead of you so I just may attack you in a parking lot now that I know I will have the advantage;)

BTW, best wishes to hubby. I think he is in good company.

Just be careful not to teach any of your tactics to the chickens. Might backfire on you....:)

I started my self defense classes yesterday. I will always be two days ahead of you so I just may attack you in a parking lot now that I know I will have the advantage;)

I am a quick learner so don't be so confident just because you are 2 days ahead of me. I might have to think about this "attack" some more. :rockin:

lschiavo said:

Ha! Top shelf prattle right there :D

I am a quick learner so don't be so confident just because you are 2 days ahead of me. I might have to think about this "attack" some more. :rockin:

I'll be two days more defensive which will technically make you more offensive than me so you will be the attacker. If you do catch up and our defensive skill should match, then I guess nothing will happen...then we'll go get a beer.

Went and got a streaming player for my tv today. Just started a netflix account. Logging on now. Was pretty easy to get going actually. Took longer on the phone to cancel my satellite. Now......what to watch. :pipe:

I'll be two days more defensive which will technically make you more offensive than me so you will be the attacker. If you do catch up and our defensive skill should match, then I guess nothing will happen...then we'll go get a beer.

Never thought about it like that, but so true. Good idea, just drink a beer and think it over some more. :ban: Maybe dance then I catch you off guard and attack. :ban:

Yeah, ouch. That's way to steep.

I was a TA in high-school. People can be jerks. Mostly that wasn't a problem for me though. I helped more then one person pull there GPA up over a full point. You do that a few times, lots of people owe you favors. Most of the time people didn't really need my help, they just needed a smack in the head. Stop telling yourself you can't do something just because it's hard.

I have some news that may rock the foundations of the universe. I ordered ingredient to make...drum roll please.....beer. :)

I've actually never made beer before. Wine and cider sure. Beer, no. I ordered a 5 gallon hefeweizen extract kit. I'm planning on splitting it into 1 gallon batches and trying something a little different with each one. I also got a couple ounces of chinook, an ounce of US fuggle, a lb of torrified wheat, and a pound of fawcett oat malt. Along with some other odds and ends.

I have some news that may rock the foundations of the universe. I ordered ingredient to make...drum roll please.....beer. :)

I've actually never made beer before. Wine and cider sure. Beer, no. I ordered a 5 gallon hefeweizen extract kit. I'm planning on splitting it into 1 gallon batches and trying something a little different with each one. I also got a couple ounces of chinook, an ounce of US fuggle, a lb of torrified wheat, and a pound of fawcett oat malt. Along with some other odds and ends.

It's all downhill from here!

It's all downhill from here!
With no brakes. :D

Here are the plans for each mini-batch.

1. Made according to the instructions, only scaled down.
2. Omit the bittering hop entirely.
3. Replace the hops with the chinook and fuggle. Recalculate IBU target to about 50. This is supposed to be a little like an IPA, so I'll probably use some of the DME I bought a while ago. That, and replace the yeast so it can handle the higher gravity. The other batches are getting safbrew WB-06.
4. Add 1lb of torrified wheat.
5. Add 1lb of fawcett oat malt.

I almost forgot you do not drink beer, LG! Aww, you would like the oregano beer I made. Still going over in my head how much it is worth to me to be able to share this wonderful creation. Hubby says, they don't have your taste buds, they will think it is terrible and make fun of you. He just doesn't want me to spend $15.00 to ship one bottle of beer.

I think most kids I went to highschool with needed a slap in the head. Some got one when they made me mad. :cross: If I had not quit when I did, probably I'd have been kicked out. Never went back for a GED or anything, no college. I am uneducated. Typical redneck with a name like BobbiLynn.

I take that back, I am not uneducated, I am self-educated.

I'm diggin the netflix :ban:

Makes me wonder though.....how does a movie load and play so fast, but yet 70% of the time when I type in the text box on HBT I get a lag? :pipe:

Ok, I'm off to see if there's any updates to Malfet and his magic beans.

I'm diggin the netflix :ban:

Makes me wonder though.....how does a movie load and play so fast, but yet 70% of the time when I type in the text box on HBT I get a lag? :pipe:

Ok, I'm off to see if there's any updates to Malfet and his magic beans.

Netflix rocks. :rockin:

So now I think I probably have appendicitis, because that is the only organ that seems to be located where it hurts so much. Hubby says I pulled a muscle, let it heal. Stop picking up heavy things. But then he says, oh, we have to move these limbs so we can walk through here. Grab that, pick this up, drag that over there. He says tomorrow is a bad time for self defense class, you are going with your back still hurting? Um, yes, I don't think attackers care if my back hurts. And anyway, it doesn't hurt everyday, just some days. And stop making me have to lift heavy things.

Tomorrow I will be kung fu fighting, fast as lightning. Parking lot attackers beware.

I don't really think I have appendicitis, just being a hypochondriac. Some people worry when their airlocks don't bubble, I worry about every little ache and pain, think it's something way worse than it is.

A friend of mine made a ukulele from scratch, no kit or anything. Took her 6 weeks. I just don't know what to say, she says it has 9 coats of shellac on it. Nicer than the teddy bear I sewed together for my dog.

uke1.JPG

uke2.JPG

Holy stinking barf batman! Please re-assure me that this sour mash I'm boiling will taste like a good sour beer after it ferments and not some kind of vomit drink. My entire house smells like the local landfill at the moment!

I'm sure it will be fine post-fermentation, but right now.... Wow!

A friend of mine made a ukulele from scratch, no kit or anything. Took her 6 weeks. I just don't know what to say, she says it has 9 coats of shellac on it. Nicer than the teddy bear I sewed together for my dog.

That's a fine piece of craftsmanship. Your friend has talent!

My dad used to run a guitar repair shop out of our garage when I was little. He also built a couple. I used to love to watch him. Maybe that's why I've been a carpenter for the last 25 years...

I just finished up the boil on my sour mash. I named this batch Wild Berry Rye Saison. Soured mash, using saison yeast, and added berry juice at flame out. 22 IBU's to balance yet let everything else shine.

It smelled awful during the boil, but the wort tasted fantastic! Tart, sour & sweet berries with plenty of the malt flavor coming thru. I can't wait for this one to be ready for drinking!

Just got back from my self-defense class and feeling a little nauseous. I didn't really expect it to be like an intense workout. Keep my eyes on the combatant, hands up in a surrender type posture, but also to protect self, how to fall, how to get up from a fall, how to get out of a strangle hold, some other things too. I think I need a nap now.

Holy stinking barf batman! Please re-assure me that this sour mash I'm boiling will taste like a good sour beer after it ferments and not some kind of vomit drink. My entire house smells like the local landfill at the moment!

I'm sure it will be fine post-fermentation, but right now.... Wow!

Hah. I dump my grains in the woods behind my house. A couple of days later it smells really bad back there. Sour mash is nasty.

Back