Another US-05 experiment... temperature fluctuations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a cream ale...cream of three crops with more rice and less corn...

I have been worried about the dreaded peach at my ferment temp of 60..via thermowell.

I am starting to think the peach aroma/flavor would be more closely related to pitching temps because people might be under pitching at 60 degrees vs 67 etc. a hybrid beer.....at 60 degrees would need more yeast than the same beer pitched at a higher temp. So is the off flavor...if you call it that, from the temperature only or a combination of that and under pitching.

My cream of three crops was blowing off madly at 60 degrees. I rehydrated 3 packs for twelve gallons.....the og is 1.055.

This is just a thought, I am very interested in the results!

So is the peach flavor coming from using only one package a 60 degrees? Would it still be there with more yeast. Good experiment.

Subscribed.

I've had the peach flavor/smell only when I've fermented at 65 degrees. I've never had it at 60 or 68. I've also only had it with gravities less than 1.050. I also do 10 gallon batches and have had the peach ester in one 5 gallon carboy but not the other. Figure that one out.

iowabrew said:
subd. I've had the peach flavor and i did not like at all. This was fermenting around 60F

I get this too when I use S-05 and hate it. Others that taste the beer say they don't notice it but its undrinkable for me. I tend to ferment low because of this. It'll be interesting to see what happens here.

Man! I hope there is "NO" big difference...

I have been waiting for the wether to warm up and it did, but not gradually.

We were freezing last week and yesterday it was 85 out... I was hoping for so 60 degree weather so I could brew a few batches without worring about the temp...

Weird Spring...

So this weekend I will still go for two batches but I think I am going to have to cover them with wet towels...

DPB

I read in another post that some one put a wet tshirt on their fermenter and kept it in their spare bathroom with the light off and fan on. Another option is put the fermenter in a big tub of water with frozen bottles of water to keep the temp where you want. I cannot wait to try it myself.

subscribed. I feel like Notty vs. SF05 is an interesting topic, and would like to see this replicated with a 60, 64, 68, same recipe, substitute for notty, side by side.

How strongly people feel here about the peach/apricot taste is how i feel about the banana esters that I got in an irish red ale using mounton and fison ale yeast, so anything I can do to limit that would be nice.

Well I just tossed in a packet of US-05 in to a fermentor that had gone 24 hours with two packs of BRY-97.... I have heard BRY-97 take a while to get going but I am paranoid and would hate to lose 13 gallons of beer...

We will see...

subscribed. I feel like Notty vs. SF05 is an interesting topic, and would like to see this replicated with a 60, 64, 68, same recipe, substitute for notty, side by side.

How strongly people feel here about the peach/apricot taste is how i feel about the banana esters that I got in an irish red ale using mounton and fison ale yeast, so anything I can do to limit that would be nice.

Wow, you are exactly the same as me. The banana/clove ester is the single reason why I NEVER use nottingham. I've found any temps higher than 65 with nottingham = fruity esters. I've ruined a pale ale before figuring it out.

US-05 IMHO is more temperature resilient than Nottingham. This experiment is to quantify how much resilience it really does have though.

I have a cream ale...cream of three crops with more rice and less corn...

I have been worried about the dreaded peach at my ferment temp of 60..via thermowell.

I am starting to think the peach aroma/flavor would be more closely related to pitching temps because people might be under pitching at 60 degrees vs 67 etc. a hybrid beer.....at 60 degrees would need more yeast than the same beer pitched at a higher temp. So is the off flavor...if you call it that, from the temperature only or a combination of that and under pitching.

My cream of three crops was blowing off madly at 60 degrees. I rehydrated 3 packs for twelve gallons.....the og is 1.055.

This is just a thought, I am very interested in the results!

So is the peach flavor coming from using only one package a 60 degrees? Would it still be there with more yeast. Good experiment.

Subscribed.

Please keep in mind- I have not noticed any fruity esters in either sample right now. The only significant difference I have witnessed in terms of nose is a more prominent sulfur smell from the 60 sample. Otherwise, the noses smell the same for the most part right now.

Regarding pitching rates, 1 package of dry yeast properly hydrated will yield up to 230 million cells, which is more than enough for 5 gallons of average gravity wort. I would not expect to see any evidence of underpitching in this case. If anything, I overpitched.

Gravity readings and notes from the weekend-

60 degree sample- Friday (5 days from pitching)- 1.012
64 degree sample- Friday- 1.008
68 degree sample- Friday- 1.007-8 It's tough to tell. Reallllly slightly lower gravity than the 64 sample, but it's nearly indistinguishable.

Sunday samples-
60 degree- 1.010
64 degree- 1.008
68 degree- 1.008

Notes-

I looks like both the 64 and 68 samples are finished. there is very little airlock activity and the kreusen is only about .5" thick in both beers. The 68 sample is clearing at a faster rate than the 64, however, and has a decided cake already, while the 64 is still quite hazy. both noses are mild and pleasant right now.

The 60 sample is proving to differentiate further from the 64 and 68 samples. I still have measurable airlock activity and a thick kreusen that, while falling, is still substantial. The sulfur smell has dissipated and is subtly clean on the nose.

I finally tasted the samples as well on Sunday. I only tasted just for the sake of trying to identify esters, DA, or any off flavors, not the actual quality of the beer-

68 sample- No fruity esters that I could notice, slight DA production but that should clear soon.
64 sample- No fruity ester taste or DA at all that I could pick up. Slight yeast taste due to being pre-flocculating.
60 sample- Prominently more young than the rest of the samples. A little cloying due to the sugars still to be fermented. There is a slight fruity/tangy aftertaste to this sample that I'm not sure what it is. I wouldn't describe it as peachy or apricot... more tart or citrusy than that. Kind of wierd. No DA that I could taste.

We'll see what happens on Tuesday.

I pitched a rehydrated pack of US-05 into a 22l batch of 1.066 IPA about 72 hours ago. Maintained until a few hours ago, the temperature was between 63 and 66. Took about 10 or 12 hours to start, but a really vigorous fermentation, which has now stopped. I'm hoping that on Friday or so I can check to see if it's finished.

Subscribed, thanks for putting in the effort here, good info!

Thanks much for doing this. I also use US-05 for some brews and keep it banked.

Interesting independent of US-05 too because you can see the importance of temp control and the diff small temp differences make.

JABBY said:
And how would one try to detect these?

Try googling "professor beer" he has a great way to learn how to detect the presence of DA. Its a very good article. Cheers

Back