Portable keg rig ideas and questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostie

Reaction score
So, second post in 2 years! Anyways, I'm looking to do a portable kegerator home-build project with my dad in the next couple of weeks. I'm bringing at least one keg of homebrew to my friend's 4th of July picnic this year, and want ya'lls opinions on the best way to hold/chill/serve the beer. From looking around, it seems like the best ways to do this would be either a jockey-box, or a cooler conversion (based off these two designs).

The pros of each:
Jockey box:
  • Easier for two+ kegs (no switching out and re-chilling)
  • Don't need to buy a new CO2 tank (I have a 5 lbs)
  • Can use for any keg size (Corny or commercial).
Cooler:
  • More of a DIY feel for me
  • Self contained (no tubing running around)
  • Tubing and installation I'm already knowledgeable with (no metal tubes)

Now, the questions:
for the Jockey box:
  • Almost every rig I've seen used stainless steel coil coolers instead of copper. Since copper is so much cheaper and easier to use in DIY, is there a trade off in taste going with copper?
  • Do you have to keep the keg in a trashcan of ice when using, or would just the shade do? Keep in mind I'm going to mostly be using this in the Texas summer.
  • How much cooling efficiency/ice lifespan does it lose if you upgrade to two or three coils/taps/kegs?
  • Is it better to put the CO2 canister inside the box or outside?
for the cooler:
  • How long does it take to cool down a keg (corny or 1/6 barrel)
  • Anyone know how easy it is to fit a 5lb CO2 tank and regulator in with the corny keg? The example I linked to above used a specialty, smaller canister.

Also, last random question: is there a difference in the CO2 quality that you would get from a paintball shop vs LHBS?

Thanks for the help guys

Here is my solution:

wp_000046-2-56856.jpg

On its maiden voyage last summer, it kept three pre-chilled cornys cold for the entire day in South Louisiana HEAT.

Other photos of the build here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/albums/portable-kegerator-7163.html

Very nice, i almost did the exact same thing, except found a cheaper garbage can, a little easier to move in my opinion, and i didnt have to insulate the tower. Very fun easy build. Definitly a conversation piece at a picnic party or a tailgate. Can fit a full half barrel, or variety of pony and cornys if needed.
Take a look.

Photo 2013-04-10 10.00.28 AM.jpg

The downside to copper, is that alcohol will cause the copper to patina with moderate contact, that patina is toxic, so you need to thoroughly clean before and after use

Did yall insulate the trash cans?
I didn't bother, except for the tower and lid. I had a long hot day with 15 gallons poured, cold from beginning to end, with the keg outside in the shade.

Plan B would have been to get another can, one size larger, and use pour-in urethane insulation in between, which should keep ice easily through a weekend.

Back