Introducing the topless beer can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does look promising for those times where a glass doesn't fit. But you still miss the color & all that goes with the visual part of the experience.

If you want to enjoy beer, get a glass. If you just want to drink beer then do what you must.

So it's the wine in a glass thing that was on Shark Tank, only it's for a beer. Litter Bug Police will be out in full force at all gatherings.

Hopefully it smells like tennis balls when you open it too. You know you like that smell...

That's a pretty good idea. My two concerns are 1) sharp edges, and b) where to put the big tennis-ball-can lid. Those things are a hazard.

Well if you're a stupid drunk college football fan at a tailgating party, the ground is where you put it, because the Earth is our waste basket.

I like this idea, even though I'd probably just pour it into a glass anyway. But if I'm in a park drinking beer, sometimes I don't care about the presentation, I just want to drink a beer. So I guess I'm not fully comprehending the point of this or seeing the need.

It's a great idea for camping, the beach, picnics, etc. where you cannot bring glass stuff usually. Then you are stuck using plastic cups if you really want to pour it into a receptacle anyway.

At least half of the enjoyment I get from drinking beer is from the aroma, which is one of the big reasons I always pour mine into a glass. I like looking at it, too, but smelling it is way more important to me. This style of top would really go a long way towards improving my disposition when drinking from a can.

Sapporo a Japanese brewery did that years ago in the 90s at least you could get it in the UK. I'm not sure they still do, it's not really my kinda beer. Sorry I couldn't find a picture of it. I think it was a steel can, it was pretty tough. It was good if your on the move, but I normally pour my beers in a glass given the choice.

First thought was slicing your mouth up on the sharp edge, second thought was that I pour into a glass anyway, so what's the point? I applaud them for trying something new, but I just don't see who this is for.

I think this would make pouring in to a glass even better. You wouldn't get that "glugging" that happens when air going in tries to get past the beer coming out. You'd get a much smoother pour.

And as far as there being sharp edges, I would hope that's something they took in to consideration when they designed these. I'm sure it's a non-issue.

These would be perfect for places that glass bottles aren't allowed either. Most of the lakes around here are glass free. And having glass around a pool is always a bad idea.

I hate drinking out of cans (bottles aren't very far behind) because you will never know what has come in touch with the top of the can. The goober at the store that scratches his ass, sneezes into his hands, or picks his nose and then promptly stacks them into the cooler rack for you to pick from one by one and put it up to your face???

Society is so clean and sterile about some things and then slobbish on others. Please drink responsibly by pouring it into a glass, THEN you can smash the can on your head.

I ordered a Hedy topper recently at a beer/wine/cheese place and they brought me the can. I asked for a glass, poured the beer, then spent the next 5 min reading the story about how they think it smells better in the can...

Going to have to try another one from the can. Next time I've got $11 to spend on a beer anyway...

eric19312 said:
I ordered a Hedy topper recently at a beer/wine/cheese place and they brought me the can. I asked for a glass, poured the beer, then spent the next 5 min reading the story about how they think it smells better in the can...

Going to have to try another one from the can. Next time I've got $11 to spend on a beer anyway...

They don't want you to pour it because you'll see how damn hazy it is..but with that amount of hops, I guess it's inevitable.

It does smell better from the can though.

I think it is a good idea. I just wish it comes to my area and the beers I drink. Aroma out of a can, ingenious. Also, I wish pull tabs would come back too.....

I really need to try some Sly Fox beer. I'm from PA and have been enjoying the likes of Troegs and Victory for years, but have never had a single brew from Sly Fox. A local distributor carries their 113 IPA, Phoenix, Christmas, Cantacular variety pack, and Pikeland beers. Are any of those beers worth buying for $30 a case? They also carry Odyssey, but it's a little out of my price range.

y2jrock60 said:
I really need to try some Sly Fox beer. I'm from PA and have been enjoying the likes of Troegs and Victory for years, but have never had a single brew from Sly Fox. A local distributor carries their 113 IPA, Phoenix, Christmas, Cantacular variety pack, and Pikeland beers. Are any of those beers worth buying for $30 a case? They also carry Odyssey, but it's a little out of my price range.

Odyssey is worth the price IMO, but the 113 is a decent brew as well.

Back