Wiping my bunghole!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
What a fantastic title!
But seriously folks, Once I add juice to my glass carboy the inside of the neck gets wet... Is it safe (bacteria wise) to wipe this down the inside of the neck with a paper towel before I stick the rubber bung in? I need to have the inside of the neck dry so the rubber bung will not slip its way out but I don't think paper towels are sterile? ?

If you are worried about it dip a rag in star san and wipe that nasty old bung hole with that.

cfonnes said:
If you are worried about it dip a rag in star san and wipe that nasty old bung hole with that.

Yes but then the surface is wet with starsan and not dry and the rubber bung will slip up out of the neck of the carboy...

unionrdr said:
Uh huh huh,huh,...he said bunghole...I'd use starsan on that dirty bugger.

I need the inside of the neck dry so the bung will grip, If I use any liquid the neck will be wet and the rubber bung will slip out

Yes but then the surface is wet with starsan and not dry and the rubber bung will slip up out of the neck of the carboy...

So let me see if I get the gist of this conversation....

You want to wipe your bunghole but don't want contamination, if you wipe your bunghole with starsan then your plug will slip right out, but if you don't then you risk a dirty contaminated bunghole and your plug stays put.

Sounds dirty when yiu type it out....I would take a clean paper towel and wipe it and quit worrying about my bunghole.

I had a similar slimy bunghole problem in the past... really. I realized the solution was using distilled water with the star san, rather than any other type of water. Not sure if that's your problem, but now now my airlocks stay put without incident. Also, I used the distilled h2o with star san in a spray bottle before plugging my bunghole.

This thread seems so dirty.... better spray myself with some star san... eww.

I do isoproponol wipe or idophor sprayed paper towel, as long as the plug is saturated and sanitized good you should be good to go. And Im talking about my carboy bunghole not mine.

Its probably best to keep your bunghole clean.:D

I think I know what your talking about though, I used a regular plug with hole on my carboy once and kept slipping-out( I was like WTF?), you need one of those hollowed out plugs,they dont seem to slip out. If you have a carboy cleaner that attaches to a drill,they come with those type plugs,although you can get them seperatley also for less than a buck.

Btw in the future stick a clean funnel in your bunghole then pour addition through funnel...no more slimy bunghole issues.

Ok thats it I can't type without laughing maniacally anymore :ban:

using a clean paper towel to dry the sanitizer in your bunghole will probably not put your beer at too much risk.

What I'd do is:

Put a sheet pan and rack in a 300 deg oven for 30 minutes
Cotton rag soak in starsan
Put the wet rag into the oven until it dries completely.

Then you can wipe your bunghole without lubrication on the rag so that the plug stays in by friction when you force the plug into the hole.

Concerning your bung plug: did you get wood or silicone, or are you using rubber?

I love this thread!

You could always flame it too,like you do a fart? On your bunghole. s.

Nightshade said:
Btw in the future stick a clean funnel in your bunghole then pour addition through funnel...no more slimy bunghole issues.

Ok thats it I can't type without laughing maniacally anymore :ban:

GOOD IDEA!!! I guess my bunghole is going to be fresh and clean, BLAAAHAHAHAHA....

mysteryshrimp said:
Concerning your bung plug: did you get wood or silicone, or are you using rubber?

Rubber...
Ewww, Rubbers for my bunghole...?!
The girlfriend will not be pleased if she finds that out....
HAHAHAHA

+1 on wiping with a paper towel dipped in StarSan...........I heard it'll stop the burn and itch as well.....

Im taking a drink everytime a read the word bunghole. :drunk:

I just take a dry paper towel and wipe the bunghole down.Make sure the bung is sanitized well then replace.

I'm still thirsty..................bunghole

I use toilet paper to wipe my bunghole and have never had an infection. Oh...wait...

I guess if you used Starsan on your bunghole it might be too slippery for the plug, but if you used Iodophor you'd also have a bright red bunghole and that might be even harder to explain.

I have my SWMBO scratch my new rubber bungs on 3 sides with her nails while in the sanitizer. It gives it a little bit of texture to grip the glass carboy but not enough that bacteria are likely to avoid the sanitizer.

I apologize for not playing along with innuendo. I'm tired this morning.

I had to fix my computers bunghole the last two days. It wasn't fubctioning correctly. A non-flowing bunghole is a bad thing...

Back