Blackberry wheat gone wrong...i think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argodzilla

Reaction score
I used a recipe off beerrecipe.org.

It said to add 3.5 quarts of frozen blackberries to fermenter, before pitching to help cool the wort. I did.

I then pitched wyeast 3056 at 70.
So now when I look at the carboy I have and inch of blackberries floating on top. I feel like I shot my yeast to hell and its not going to go off.
Will the yeast blast through the blackberries and ferment?

I think if I do this again i will add blackberries at secondary. I do appear to have CO2 production.

Your yeast will work just fine... Although you may not have as much aroma and taste from the blackberries due to it being scrubbed during fermentation. Most people add the fruit when going to secondary ( or after initial fermentation is done if not using a secondary). Reason being is that all the release of CO2 during initial fermentation washes (scrubs) the fruit flavor and smell from the wort. You will have a beer none the less and it will probably taste great.

The standard recipe for fruit beers calls for racking onto fruit after primary fermentation (attenuation) is complete. The reason for that is to preserve the fruit flavors as there will be less fruit flavor if fermented during primary attenuation. Blackberries have more flavor per pound than many other fruits, so it might be just fine to add them in primary.

You did not affect yeast performance by adding fruit. Some fruits will float even after FG is stable. Some will drop. You are fine,

Back