New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Erm... question. Why are you adding sugar to a fermentation that has finished? If after adding two different yeasts its done fermenting, its done fermenting. You can maybe swirl it to get everything off the bottom and then warm up the fermenter to like 24 or 25C. If that doesnt do it, nothing will. Adding sugar as well wont do anything but bump up the alcohol. At this point it wont do anything to your FG.

It kinda sounds like you dont fully understand why sugar get used (no offence intended here :) ). Most of the time you use sugar INSTEAD of a portion of malt. Not in addition to. So essentially you are taking a portion of he malt bill out and replacing it with sugar. This will help dry the beer out.

And once again, with the Redieuse clone, you NEEEEEED the sugar. I would say at least 10%. So add the sugar and reduce the malt till you get to your desired OG.

PS. Redieuse is a damn nice beer. So good luck

Erm... question. Why are you adding sugar to a fermentation that has finished? If after adding two different yeasts its done fermenting, its done fermenting. You can maybe swirl it to get everything off the bottom and then warm up the fermenter to like 24 or 25C. If that doesnt do it, nothing will. Adding sugar as well wont do anything but bump up the alcohol. At this point it wont do anything to your FG.

It kinda sounds like you dont fully understand why sugar get used (no offence intended here :) ). Most of the time you use sugar INSTEAD of a portion of malt. Not in addition to. So essentially you are taking a portion of he malt bill out and replacing it with sugar. This will help dry the beer out.

And once again, with the Redieuse clone, you NEEEEEED the sugar. I would say at least 10%. So add the sugar and reduce the malt till you get to your desired OG.

PS. Redieuse is a damn nice beer. So good luck

Cheers for the advice sock, no offense taken.

you might be missing the point of the leffe radieuse, I'm not trying to clone the recipe, but merely take inspiration from it, as its such a great beer (I actually have one or two in the fridge at the moment). I've adjusted the malt bill to compensate for no sugar, and wanted a sessionable red ale, with a belgian flavour to it. this fits the bill quite nicely, and getting rid of simple sugar, which is 100% fermentable and adjusting the malt bill to have enough colour and enough flavour, should get me over the line, as I have really high hopes for this one, and also need a yeast cake for a Kwak Clone, which will condition while my surgery is happening.:mug:

the plan b clone is sitting at 2.1% abv, which is very low, the mash temp did seems a bit high to me, but i followed stu's recipe and this is what happened. My foray into low alcohol sessionable beers, hasn't started all that well.

How'd you Gose end up by the way?

Cool cool.

I would suggest maybe replacing a portion of the base malt with sugar all the same. It helps dry it out a bit and make it more quaffable. Dont think i've seen a belgian recipe without sugar. Up to you though :)

The Gose is going well. Its sitting in secondary right now. Racked a portion to a 19L carboy, and the rest to a demijohn. The demijohn had a couple of hand fulls of fijoa in it. I will leave both for another few weeks. Its pretty tasty right now though. Its moderately tart. Very promising, but we shall see.

I made my attempt at a quick flanders on friday. I pitched lactobacillus and brettanomyces lambicus. Hopfully it will get me in the ballpark of a flanders within a month or two. Its going freakin nuts right now though.

IMG_5398.jpg

sockmerchant said:
Cool cool.

I would suggest maybe replacing a portion of the base malt with sugar all the same. It helps dry it out a bit and make it more quaffable. Dont think i've seen a belgian recipe without sugar. Up to you though :)
Interesting. That'll lower the fg and make it drier.
How much sugar would u recommend?? Maybe 250 grams?

Interesting. That'll lower the fg and make it drier.
How much sugar would u recommend?? Maybe 250 grams?

For a belgian strong (like the leffe radieuse) I would use a minimum of 500g. Most of my golden strong's etc are 1kg :)

In this case it would probably be in the form of dark candi syrup.

I saw you posted on the recipe on this site, and theirs has about 350g. So go with that if sugar scares you :p

Looks like a decent recipe, but i would be VERY surprised if that's a clone recipe.

EDIT: I see now that in an earlier post you said you were not going to use candi syrup. You may want to rethink that. That recipe is heavily dependent on candi syrup. Google how to make it. Its pretty easy. Just make sure you get it dark as hell. Its kinda important for this one :) Candi syrup has a distinct flavour and is contributing a large part of the colour.

For a belgian strong (like the leffe radieuse) I would use a minimum of 500g. Most of my golden strong's etc are 1kg :)

In this case it would probably be in the form of dark candi syrup.

I saw you posted on the recipe on this site, and theirs has about 350g. So go with that if sugar scares you :p

Looks like a decent recipe, but i would be VERY surprised if that's a clone recipe.

EDIT: I see now that in an earlier post you said you were not going to use candi syrup. You may want to rethink that. That recipe is heavily dependent on candi syrup. Google how to make it. Its pretty easy. Just make sure you get it dark as hell. Its kinda important for this one :) Candi syrup has a distinct flavour and is contributing a large part of the colour.

Cheers Sock, I've actually been thinking, and therefore I've actually decided to change what I'm brewing. reason is because i have a fair amount of hops etc. to use before i get my shoulder done, I wanted something belgian, but I wanted an IPA.... So I decided to combine the 2 for this recipe:
as I have all the ingredients.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/new-belgium-belgo-269744/
:mug:
the only thing I dont have is simcoe, so, I'm subbing Some amarillo in for that
Melanoiden and carabelge subbed for Honeymalt and

Im coming to Auckland next week for a few days. ANy suggestions on where to drink some good beer? Also, if anyone needs anything that isn't illegal to bring there, PM me.

S-

psbuckland said:
Im coming to Auckland next week for a few days. ANy suggestions on where to drink some good beer? Also, if anyone needs anything that isn't illegal to bring there, PM me.

S-

I think Hallertau brew bar would be a good stop off

i don't know whats going on with my brewing at the moment but I've just pitched a smack pack of 1214... (I'm starting to wonder why I'm persisting with this yeast) for the above recipe I posted. no activity after 8 hours, it seems the comments that this yeast is slow.

Quick question for you Sock, I know your into belgian beers. Can I ask what yeast is your go to or "house yeast" for these types of beer.

Other thing is whats T-58 Like for belgian beers, what I've read suggests that its a saison strain?

Yeah I'm not a massive fan of 1214. Though i have been thinking about giving it another try

My go to belgian strain is Whitelabs 530. Can remember the wyeast equivilant. Its the westmalle strain

T-58 is pretty rubbish in my experience. If you really want to use dry yeast youd be better off trying
belle-saison-yeast.html
yeast

sockmerchant said:
Yeah I'm not a massive fan of 1214. Though i have been thinking about giving it another try

My go to belgian strain is Whitelabs 530. Can remember the wyeast equivilant. Its the westmalle strain

T-58 is pretty rubbish in my experience. If you really want to use dry yeast youd be better off trying yeast

I might have to use that one next time. What's your experience with 1214??

It not a bad yeast. It attenuated well and results in a beer with a lot of character. It doesn't flocculate particularly well though so takes a long time to clear.

I haven't used it for a long time, so perhaps my increased experience will yield different results

I picked up a small oak barrel recently. Its currently sitting with water to swell and become water proof. So, I'm thinking i'll have to put some hardy beers through it to get most of the excessive oak flavour out.

So, will probably be making a russian imperial stout this weekend. Either that or a belgian dark strong

I intend to use it for sour beers eventually.

I am very much obsessed with sour beer at the moment.

I currently have: 1 corny with a brett saison, 2 fermenters with flanders brown, one with flanders red, two with gose and one with my attempt at a quick flanders.

the quick flanders is shaping up preeeety well actually. surprisingly so. I pitched lacto and brett L. Its nicely tart and very funky. Only been going for a week. I intend to give it about 6 weeks. I look forward to seeing how it ends up

:)

i don't know whats going on with my brewing at the moment but I've just pitched a smack pack of 1214... (I'm starting to wonder why I'm persisting with this yeast) for the above recipe I posted. no activity after 8 hours, it seems the comments that this yeast is slow.

Quick question for you Sock, I know your into belgian beers. Can I ask what yeast is your go to or "house yeast" for these types of beer.

Other thing is whats T-58 Like for belgian beers, what I've read suggests that its a saison strain?

Success! Its bubbling (I've got an airlock on it) I've got it sitting atbetween 23-24 :)
Looks like I'll be all good to go on Saturday...

Just finished brewing what I posted above certainly got rid of a few hops :). This is my last brew for awhile as ACC have been in touch and they're cutting me open in a couple of weeks.

Went well missed final volume by about 1.5 litre due to turn and beat OG because of it. Nevermind. Quite looking forward to this. If only I could get hold of an actual beer to try?

Just checked by Belgo, and its at 1,018 so its done its job. and I kept my sample in the fridge for 3 hours, and wow this is going to be one damn awesome brew. I'll taste again tomorrow after a few morehours in the fridge (I do this sometimes...) shame we cant buy this beer in the country.

Hi Guys, a couple of you know me or my brews. I'm a home brewer in Auckland and I've been brewing for just over a year (anniversary was on 28th of April). To celebrate I brewed my 30th and 31st beers!
I started with the usual Coppertun kit with the Munich Lager, then quickly started modifying kits, whilst making small batch all grain brews (2-3 Litres). After 6 months I upgraded to full batch BIAB.
I've done some great beers (Yakima Scarlet Clone, Hopped Lately?, Chipotlale, Russian Imperial Oatmeal Treacle Stout and Waimea Pure)
Some unusual beers (Chipotlale, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Beef in Bourbon Beer, 100% Peated)
And, of course, some terrible disasters!! (Beef in Bourbon Beer, Milk Chocolate Porter (the lactose turned into lactic acid), 2 attempts at Mexican Cerveza)

I'm also a distiller and I've made a couple of meads.

I really enjoy brewing high gravity brews, most of my recent brews have been over 10% but my next brew in the planning is targeting 20+% all grain (no sugar).

Anyway, I look forward to sharing knowledge and brews with you guys.

kiwirevo said:
Hi Guys, a couple of you know me or my brews. I'm a home brewer in Auckland and I've been brewing for just over a year (anniversary was on 28th of April). To celebrate I brewed my 30th and 31st beers!
I started with the usual Coppertun kit with the Munich Lager, then quickly started modifying kits, whilst making small batch all grain brews (2-3 Litres). After 6 months I upgraded to full batch BIAB.
I've done some great beers (Yakima Scarlet Clone, Hopped Lately?, Chipotlale, Russian Imperial Oatmeal Treacle Stout and Waimea Pure)
Some unusual beers (Chipotlale, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Beef in Bourbon Beer, 100% Peated)
And, of course, some terrible disasters!! (Beef in Bourbon Beer, Milk Chocolate Porter (the lactose turned into lactic acid), 2 attempts at Mexican Cerveza)

I'm also a distiller and I've made a couple of meads.

I really enjoy brewing high gravity brews, most of my recent brews have been over 10% but my next brew in the planning is targeting 20+% all grain (no sugar).

Anyway, I look forward to sharing knowledge and brews with you guys.

Welcome kiwi. Looking forward to try some more of your beers :)
How's that 20%er coming?

I'm just getting all the stuff together for it and I have to wait for my fermenters to be empty. Probably wait until after my birthday at the end of may as i hope my wife is getting me a grain mill. And with 14kgs of grain getting closer to 80% rather than 60% would be good

NZLunchie said:
Not just yet brother. Shes still very green and uncarbed at the moment.
I've got a bottle set aside for you though!
All good, PM Me your address and ill send mine through cos I'm out for 3-4 weeks. in for the op Tuesday see

No idea on the yeast. I was planning a Tall Poppy clone but I think this will do me for IPAs for a while.

Doing the second half of my Epic Pale ale kit tonight.
Skipping the 77C mash out really helps with the bag handling.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to homebrewing. I took it up over christmas this year, and have jumped in boots and all - my seventh brew is in primary now, and I have also built a keezer.

I'm in Wellington and using The Brewhouse in Newtown as my LHBS.

Looking forward to making my way through the info on these forums.

Cheers!

Craig

craggy said:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to homebrewing. I took it up over christmas this year, and have jumped in boots and all - my seventh brew is in primary now, and I have also built a keezer.

Cheers!

Craig

Welcome Craig
There's a wealth if information out there. Try forum.realbeer.co.nz as well
You doing all grain I assume?

Hi everyone,

Cheers!

Craig

Welcome to the madness dude :mug:

I'm heading to the US next month, whats my chances of getting some honey malt back through customs?

Oooooh good question, if you do I'll take some off your hands. no idea though.

if your headed overthere pick up some brews where u headed?

Latest posts

Back