24/7 homebrewing, would like some feedback.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croakerj

Reaction score
Something I have been tossing around.
My LHBS has rubbish hours. I need something to do with a business degree.
Who here would benefit from an on call brew store. 24/7 brewing supply, like an on call emergency medical facility. To include delivery. Forgot to purchase an ingredient or having a brewing emergency. On your doorstep within an hour with emergency ingredients. Maybe even deliver propane???
I need this

can't imagine that I would be willing to pay the mark up you would require in order to make it profitable

Is there a huge amount of home brewers in your area? I can't see this as being profitable. There is rarely a time when I'm missing something and if I am I'm not going to pay marked up prices to get it that day, ill just postpone my brew day.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I just think the 24 hour part won't work. Plus your not going to want to get up at 2am because I'm drunk and forgot 4oz of malt and about to mash in

Also they might have "rubbish" hours because maybe thats all your market will bear. If he was open all the time it might not be as profitable for him.

Normal prices, Mark up for delivery only. A true entrepreneur will find a way.
So, no emergency warrants a slight Mark up? Deliver you a pizza too

Is there a huge amount of home brewers in your area? I can't see this as being profitable. There is rarely a time when I'm missing something and if I am I'm not going to pay marked up prices to get it that day, ill just postpone my brew day.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I just think the 24 hour part won't work. Plus your not going to want to get up at 2am because I'm drunk and forgot 4oz of malt and about to mash in

I've thought of these things too. Pipe dreams I guess. And yes lots of homebrewers who keep plenty of ingredients on hand.
This idea sucks!

Normal prices, Mark up for delivery only. A true entrepreneur will find a way.
So, no emergency warrants a slight Mark up? Deliver you a pizza too

I'm not saying it doesn't justify a mark up. I'm saying I wouldn't pay it. Most home brewers that I know are pretty methodical, and if I'm forgetting something small I'm either forging ahead without what it, or postponing my brew day

Right but my work hours do not allow me to pull seat of my pants brewing on a Saturday morning. They don't open til eleven. I just hate starting to brew late

Right but my work hours do not allow me to pull seat of my pants brewing on a Saturday morning. They don't open til eleven. I just hate starting to brew late

That is why 90% of homebrewers have what they need on hand several days (or weeks/months) in advance of brewday.

No way this makes money.

95-99% of the population does not homebrew. Of the 1-3 % that does brew, 90% of them are probably organized enough to have what they need on hand. Of the fraction that has a "brew day emergency" 99.9% of them are not within "delivery" range. And, even if they were..... most (as others have said) would not probably pay extra....... So.... who is your customer? I could see you getting 1, maybe 2.....MAYBE....... deliveries a week, at most.

Back