• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Spanish Cedar - Presliced

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChemE

Reaction score
If any of you have every been lucky enough to have Cigar City's Cedar Aged Jai Alai IPA you know the magic that cedar can impart to beer. This beer scores a 90 on beeradvocate. Unfortunately for us, the spanish cedar infusion spirals that Cigar City uses are a special order item and rather expensive. Alternatively we can source spanish cedar from fine woodworking outlets like Rockler and Woodcraft but the minimum amount they will sell us is enough to make dozens of 5 gallon batches of beer. Because I really wanted to experiment with this ingredient I did buy a square foot from Rockler and rather than sit on the excess for years, I thought it better to slice it and sell it off in amounts adequate for a 5 gallon batch so that others can experiment with it more easily.

To save on shipping, I can fit 1/8" slices in a regular mailing envelop and ship it anywhere in the United States for $0.85. So, for $3.50 sent to my PayPal account, I will ship you (22) 3.25" x 0.375" x 0.125" slices of spanish cedar which is the correct amount for 5 US gallons of beer with a one month contact time (same dosing rate that Cigar City uses). Note that it is very important to use end grain (slices) rather than side grain (staves) since the extraction time for end grain is 1/8th what it is for side grain.

What you get - LOTS of end grain for fast extraction! (22) 3.25" x 0.375" x 0.125" spanish cedar sliced shipped
Cedar.jpg

I only have enough to fulfill 4 orders and while I'm not expecting demand to be that high, this is a sweet ingredient for pretty darn cheap all set to get dropped in the carboy or corny. Orders will be filled first come first serve until my excess is consumed. Happy Brewing!

Okay, I think I'm at my max already. JIW126 let me see if I can squeeze two out of what I have left. mkringii, and criticalrn have already paid and Sacdan PM'ed me before I saw your post so the third will go to him. Stand by JIW126...

I can fulfill JIW126's order for 2 so pending that payment I'm all sold out. If anything changes and more is available, I'll update this thread. Thank you all for helping me get rid of this and happy brewing! It smells amazing in my garage now from all the spanish cedar saw dust. I can't wait to taste my batch now!

EDIT - final payment received all my extra is sold off and one desperate brewer is probably buying my personal reserve. There is nothing more to sell.

I thought about that but I'm giving away my labor on this one to make the shipping so cheap. Jamming them in a flat rate box would eliminate that but triple the price. Still there is clearly a need to be filled...

I have access to all the Spanish cedar anyone could ever want. I've only oaked imperial stouts wouldn't know what need/use for Spanish cedar is. Do you use it similar to oak chips?

To the five individuals that purchased my excess Spanish cedar, all orders were shipped this morning from the post office so you should expect it to arrive in two to three business days. Hopefully you all have it by Saturday or Monday at the very latest. Thanks again!

just bumping this thread, I would like to source some spanish cedar for brewing. I guess I will try a couple local wood shops and see what I can come up with but any ideas for the interwebs or on here?

I bought a pretty good amount from Rockler. How much are you looking for? I can dip into my personal stash if you don't want to fool with Rockler.

I know someone else was asking about this but if you have enough for one more person I would like to try this as well in my next IPA. Let me know if your willing to part with a few more :)

Hey ChemE

I'd also be interested in a bit -- if you have any -- maybe enough for 2-4 batches -- to experiment and see where I wanted to go from there.

Cheers!

I bought a pretty good amount from Rockler. How much are you looking for? I can dip into my personal stash if you don't want to fool with Rockler.

I bought some on Amazon and I think it actually is coming from one of the national chain places like Rockler. I can't remember though.

It is on a 3/16th by something wide and 36" long I think. I will have to chop it up. Have any suggestions or should I go with what you have?

3/16" wide, sounds like there will not be very much end grain available for your beer. Based on what I've read that means it will take a very long time to get full interaction which is why the infusion spirals work so well. It is totally up to you, what you've bought will work given enough time. It is just a matter of whether or not that is too long to suit your taste.

3/16" wide, sounds like there will not be very much end grain available for your beer. Based on what I've read that means it will take a very long time to get full interaction which is why the infusion spirals work so well. It is totally up to you, what you've bought will work given enough time. It is just a matter of whether or not that is too long to suit your taste.

it is 1/4" thick by 2 or 3 wide and 24" long.

So you have spirals?

I sent a PM back to you but have not heard back. Can I get your PayPal ID so I can send some cash. Thanks again for your help

Latest posts

Back