Foo Fighters are the Best Thing to Happen to Music in the last 20 Years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Foo Fighters suck... They have a few decent songs, but the majority of it is just crap, especially their new stuff. Dave Grohl should have stuck with playing the drums.

On a side note, I love his performance in Pick of Destiny.

Foo Fighters suck... They have a few decent songs, but the majority of it is just crap, especially their new stuff. Dave Grohl should have stuck with playing the drums.

On a side note, I love his performance in Pick of Destiny.

Suck is pretty damned strong.

One thing I will say is that they don't suck. Best thing in 20 years? They don't even make the top 100.

DMB????They aren't rock so get TF back on topic.;)

If we are opening the argument up to all music I will have a list of better bands longer than the TAP room thread.

I don't see rock in the title of this thread.

Dear GOD........My apologies!

I think my mind rejected the actual title......I am not kidding.

Dear god....do I copy and paste my pandora???CRAP. Not lacking bands, just dreading the 44 page list.

Josh Ritter
Mason Jennings
Florence and the Machine
Feist
Thao
Fleet Foxes
Cage the elephant
Band of Horses
(NOT COPYING TYPING ALL OFF THE TOP OF MY GOD DAMNED HEAD)
(OK now looking at Pandora)
Beck
Cold War Kids
David Byrne (ok maybe not 20 yrs)
Damien Rice
Death Cab
Dawes
Drive by Truckers
Elbow
Gorillaz
Old Crow
Over the rhine
Plant/Krauss
Avett bros
Black Keys
Decemberists
Vampire weekend
Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Etc...

Jack White singlehandedly dumps Dave on his ass.

I like the foo fighters, but seriously???

Not trolling. Healthy discussion;)

We are both guilty of HUGE gerneralized statements of "truth".

Black keys, White Stripes, I could name a dozen more, but I guess "rock" is a pretty narrow pigeon hole.

Foo are a little pop for my tastes but unquestionably talented.

Jack White is my smoking gun.

I will take about as much argument on that subject as I do from people who don't believe in evolution.

Jack White is pretty great but he doesn't have Grohl's awesome epicness. Yes that is measurable and I didn't make it up.

I hate the Black Keys, I don't think there's a more overrate band out there now. I mean ignoring the bands who're long gone like Nickelback and Creed of course, but seriously like half of their songs are way too simplistic.

Foos aren't pop, they may have poppy kind of lyrics but they're very much rooted in the foundation of the punk bands that influenced Grohl fused with the influence he drew from Cobain.

The other great thing with Grohl is basically anything he touches turns to gold.

What's the best QOTSA album? What about Them Crooked Vultures?

Seriously, Dave Grohl is like the Eric Clapton of the modern era, no matter what he does greatness follows.

Jack White is pretty great but he doesn't have Grohl's awesome epicness. Yes that is measurable and I didn't make it up.

:mug:

I don't know......only reason Dave's epic meter is higher, is because Jack's was not within the meter's capacity.

Immeasureable.

How many bands had Jack brought to the spotlight?

Racanteurs, White Stripes, solo.

He is intentionally less "Pop" friendly than Dave.

:mug:

I don't know......only reason Dave's epic meter is higher, is because Jack's was not within the meter's capacity.

Immeasureable.

How many bands had Jack brought to the spotlight?

Racanteurs, White Stripes, solo.

He is intentionally less "Pop" friendly than Dave.

What did Nirvana do before Dave Grohl? Maybe everything Dave Grohl touches turns to gold after all

Nirvana before Grohl, Peak chart position in US 89, after lowest peak chart position, 39, for a compilation album.

So we have Nirvana, Foo Fighters, QOTSA, Tenacious D, Them Crooked Vultures, Probot, and more of course. I'm jsut going with the major contributions.

If you compare them big for big

Foos>White Stripes
Them Crooked Vultures>Racontours
All else> Solo

It's not Grohl's fault that everything he touches turns to gold and becomes pop. If he recorded a death metal album it would still hit to top of the charts. He's just golden

What did Nirvana do before Dave Grohl? Maybe everything Dave Grohl touches turns to gold after all

Nirvana before Grohl, Peak chart position in US 89, after lowest peak chart position, 39, for a compilation album.

So we have Nirvana, Foo Fighters, QOTSA, Tenacious D, Them Crooked Vultures, Probot, and more of course. I'm jsut going with the major contributions.

Foos>White Stripes
All else> Solo

It's not Grohl's fault that everything he touches turns to gold and becomes pop. If he recorded a death metal album it would still hit to top of the charts. He's just golden

You are giving Grohl credit for tenacious d?;)

Being a sit in drummer does not equal driving force.

And you got all of your ">" backwards. Especially that first one.

Icky thump on its own> all of Dave Grohl's work EVER.

Drums make the sound, it's like the engine of a car, the extra features are nice but without a great engine it just doesn't go

BTW how can you make Ace of spades even cooler?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol.

A guitar can play a song by itself. Drums by itself are cool for about 10 seconds.

Sorry, you set youself up for that.

Game, set, match.

Drums move armies.

And if you can't listen to a whole drum song you just have no soul

I could listen to that for hours on end. Couldn't listen to Jack white just play guitar for more than 5 minutes without snoring.

Last edited by a moderator:
hoppyhoppyhippo said:

Foos>White Stripes
All else> Solo

I want to reply about the nirvana before Grohl topic because I have heard this before and it's complete bull. Cobain had more song writing skills than Grohl will ever and it didn't matter what drummer he picked nirvana would still be legendary. Kurt wrote it all and the stuff before Grohl though wasn't chart topping was unreal. Look at bleach what a pure album and all the unreleased stuff out there soooo good Grohl is great but what a statement saying nirvana would be nothing without Grohl. Straight bullsh*t

I want to reply about the nirvana before Grohl topic because I have heard this before and it's complete bull. Cobain had more song writing skills than Grohl will ever and it didn't matter what drummer he picked nirvana would still be legendary. Kurt wrote it all and the stuff before Grohl though wasn't chart topping was unreal. Look at bleach what a pure album and all the unreleased stuff out there soooo good Grohl is great but what a statement saying nirvana would be nothing without Grohl. Straight bullsh*t

It was a joke. I was just having some fun with Cheezy. But I have little doubt that Grohl was a key part of Nirvana's success. You cannot deny his drumming presence (not to mention backing vocals) were a key part of Nirvana's success.

Also I think the ultimate chart topping success of Nirvana has to do with Butch Vig than Cobain. If you listen to early (or live) vs the finished products it's night and day.

It was a joke. I was just having some fun with Cheezy. But I have little doubt that Grohl was a key part of Nirvana's success. You cannot deny his drumming presence (not to mention backing vocals) were a key part of Nirvana's success.

Also I think the ultimate chart topping success of Nirvana has to do with Butch Vig than Cobain. If you listen to early (or live) vs the finished products it's night and day.

I got the joke.

Otherwise I would have pointed out that the commercial success of Nirvana was directly caused by my use of deodorant.;)(the timing is unquestionable)

Ok, just sat through about 4 of Foo Fighters albums, from the first up to Skin and Bones.

I must say I am not impressed. Just a bunch of bland chords. Pretty uninteresting music. I will disclaimer this by stating that I did not pay attention to the lyrics because I am at work, but in any case, the music did not appeal to me enough to even care what the song was about.

I was really hoping for something new to enjoy for a while. You know, a new little collection of albums to get into kind of like that awesome tv show that you never got around to watching until it was canceled and you spent several weeks watching it on Netflix.

Nope.

Ok, just sat through about 4 of Foo Fighters albums, from the first up to Skin and Bones.

I must say I am not impressed. Just a bunch of bland chords. Pretty uninteresting music. I will disclaimer this by stating that I did not pay attention to the lyrics because I am at work, but in any case, the music did not appeal to me enough to even care what the song was about.

I was really hoping for something new to enjoy for a while. You know, a new little collection of albums to get into kind of like that awesome tv show that you never got around to watching until it was canceled and you spent several weeks watching it on Netflix.

Nope.

You're not alone in this thinking.

Fortunately the world doesn't march to the beat of just Dave Grohl's drums!

Grohl is TALENTED. He just isn't the most talented thing in 20 years.

He plays all of the instruments. I believe that (at least on the first one) he recorded every part himself. Drums, guitar, bass. That is bad ass, to be sure. A bit unneccessary, but bad ass. It doesn't make the music any better, but I think it is good.

I am confused. If Grohl is a drummer, then why does he have a drummer?

imgpress

Grohl is TALENTED. He just isn't the most talented thing in 20 years.

He plays all of the instruments. I believe that (at least on the first one) he recorded every part himself. Drums, guitar, bass. That is bad ass, to be sure. A bit unneccessary, but bad ass. It doesn't make the music any better, but I think it is good.

Yeah, I read he recorded the first album himself, which is cool for sure. But honestly, it sounded like Nirvana 2.0. But Nirvana had more interesting songs IMO (Maybe just the ones I have heard.)

He also had a drummer record for the second album and then he went back and re-recorded over it himself.

I guess it's hard to front a band from the back...

Ya Dave is a very good musician there is no doubt of that and had many good songs but he also had a lot of songs I would not give a second listen. Soi give him all the credit in the world musically but song writing wise he's no cobain

Back