Expensive (electricitywise) and time-consuming to brew with 1 or 2 electric elements?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
My stove is not too big....so I'd rather put a massive 7-gallon pot on the floor (on a stand or something) and brew for 60 minutes with 1 or 2 electric elements....

My question is the following: is it really expensive to use electricity for this purpose...and what kinda electric elements can make water boil (regarding the watt or V)?

Thanks.

"Electricitywise" it is not expensive nor time consuming to brew with electric. Depending on your local electric rates I would guess the cost of electric brewing is less than 25% than that of using propane.

Most folks use hot water heater elements for electric brewing....both 120v and 240v, 1500 - 5500w, many different elements can be used depending...

In Europe the voltage changes. The only reason I know that you are in Europe is because of some of your other previous posts.

What you are talking about is a heatstick/RIMS style system. These almost always need a dedicated circuit per element.

As for cost it is cheaper state side to brew with electricity than w/ propane in most cases. I have no idea how the pricing of power is in your country.

I have a keggle I installed 2 120v elements in. I have a 1500w and 2000w so i can vary the intensity of the boil. I use both to heat my strike/sparge water and i use both to get up to a boil. At boil, if i dont need to boil off much i'll just use one element, if i need to boil off alot i'll kick both on and let it rage.

I've got an electricity monitoring system installed and it costs me about $1.00 to $2.00 to boil for an hour. Not much cost there.

Edit: Some more info that might help you out. The most I have tried to boil is 8 Gallons and it only took about 25 minutes to go from mash temp to boiling. Most i've had to heat up is about 10 gallons to sparge temp but the water from my tap comes out at about 135f so it only takes 15 minutes or so to hit 170 (depending on beer type)

Back