Westvleteren XII - selling it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClemsonDV

Reaction score
Anyone had dealings with selling/shipping beer. I tried a bottle and probably would like to sell the other bottle I have remaining. Ebay does not allow, so how does one legally go about selling/shipping beer abouts.

You'll need a proper liquor license to sell alcohol, so I suggest you start with your state's law office, or the ATF in general. Good luck!

Orrrr..... you can sell an empty collector's bottle for a high price that say, one would sell if there were beer in it.

Anyone had dealings with selling/shipping beer. I tried a bottle and probably would like to sell the other bottle I have remaining. Ebay does not allow, so how does one legally go about selling/shipping beer abouts.

the long and short of it is that its not legal to sell beer without proper licenses.

people do however sell beer on ebay, and say that the bottle is empty

trade it with someone, there are plenty of people on here that would love to get westy 12 that can't, but can get something you can't. Search for craft beer trades.

Btw westy 12 is a delicious beer.

I have 4 bottles left myself, but I'm still on the fence about trading one or two since it's very hard to calculate fair value for a trade.

I have 4 bottles left myself, but I'm still on the fence about trading one or two since it's very hard to calculate fair value for a trade.

Not really, take what you paid for it, trade for something that costs the same... just because westy is hard for some people to find does not make it worth more than what you paid.

Sounds to me like you have unrealistic expectations on what that beer is worth. Fwiw, st bernardus 12 in my opinion is a better example of the same exact beer.

Trade it for some pliny, or something that tickles your fancy, but it's not some holy grail of hard to find.

Not really, take what you paid for it, trade for something that costs the same... just because westy is hard for some people to find does not make it worth more than what you paid.

Sounds to me like you have unrealistic expectations on what that beer is worth. Fwiw, st bernardus 12 in my opinion is a better example of the same exact beer.

Trade it for some pliny, or something that tickles your fancy, but it's not some holy grail of hard to find.

You're basically saying that rarity has nothing to do with value, which, at least to me, is false. In the end, with bartering/trading, an item is only worth what you can get for it, so it will always be up for debate, but perceived value is still value.

I took this photo at the LCBO last week. Please explain to me if rarity has nothing to do with value, why is this so expensive?

BIJ4FF6CcAE1ovr.jpg

sure however rarity is built into the price that you paid for it, for example I can get a coolship beer from Allagash they only make 200 bottles per batch. at the brewery it sells for $15 per 375 ml do you think that I should charge people $40 for it on the west coast just because there's no way in hell they will ever get it out there?

Westy is even less rare than that and it certainly is not rare enough to warrant a mark up in price from you as a consumer.no I am not saying that you will not find someone willing to trade maybe two pliny the youngers for one westy. But I disagree with trying to make money on something readily available to many people. something of which the price is set by fair market value.

do you though man.

I took this photo at the LCBO last week. Please explain to me if rarity has nothing to do with value, why is this so expensive?

Duhh, because it's scotch??

Well then I should be able to trade a bottle of Johnnie Walker ($40) for that $3600 bottle of scotch on the private market since rarity doesn't count! SOLD! :D

No... but you could trade another 3600 bottle for it... referring to my point. Price is set on fair market value, another beer of the same price would be a fair trade... what part of that logic do you not understand.... I'm done running in circles with you, good luck ripping people off.

There's a gross misunderstanding of free market economics going on here. Anything is worth the price that someone is willing to pay. No idea why someone get mad about that.

I second that. Now the bidding starts at 1 March Pump...lol.

I bought a 6 pack with two buddies to share. I tasted one bottle with another brewer because its a rare beer. I did the same with a DFH 120 Min that I picked up while touring the brewery. I basically have shared all my rare beers with friends/family because I am cool like that. I am here in Charlotte NC and cannot get some delicious West Coast beers. And NC laws prevent some delicious beers from coming in the state. So I am open to offers or March Pumps.

I second that. Now the bidding starts at 1 March Pump...lol.

I bought a 6 pack with two buddies to share. I tasted one bottle with another brewer because its a rare beer. I did the same with a DFH 120 Min that I picked up while touring the brewery. I basically have shared all my rare beers with friends/family because I am cool like that. I am here in Charlotte NC and cannot get some delicious West Coast beers. And NC laws prevent some delicious beers from coming in the state. So I am open to offers or March Pumps.

Same. I had a tasting with several friends with Westy-12, St. Bernardus 12, Westmalle 10 and Rocheford 10. Westy-12 was agreed to be the tastiest, but the Bernardus 12 was very close.

" Price is set on fair market value, another beer of the same price would be a fair trade... what part of that logic do you not understand."

The problem with that line of reasoning is that Westy is NOT priced as a fair market value. Distribution is tightly controlled and the price is set by a bunch of monks. There was never anything "free market" about the pricing. If there was, it wouldn't have sold out in 18 seconds nationwide. People lined up for the stuff, and I bet that every person in line would have paid an extra $1, or $5, or $10 etc to make sure they got their bottles.

Latest posts

Back