Water testing??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pellphoto

Reaction score
Should I have a full water test done on my water or could I get away with test strips just to see if I'm in the right range? We are just starting to brew and are trying to make sure all of our ducks are in a row... or as many as possible at least. Thanks in advance.

I suggest a water test from Ward Lab. I sent one in, and for $16.50, you get all the information you need for brewing.

Another thing to check is to find out from your water company if they use chloramines to chlorinate the water. Those don't boil off, and are easily removed before brewing with campden tablets (available at any homebrew store). Chlorine and/or chloramines in the brewing water will ruin the taste of the beer.

Yooper said:
I suggest a water test from Ward Lab. I sent one in, and for $16.50, you get all the information you need for brewing.

Another thing to check is to find out from your water company if they use chloramines to chlorinate the water. Those don't boil off, and are easily removed before brewing with campden tablets (available at any homebrew store). Chlorine and/or chloramines in the brewing water will ruin the taste of the beer.

Ok. That's what I'll do. I have a well so I'm not terribly concerned with chlorine or chloramines but the test should point those out, right?

The Ward testing does not indicate the presence of chlorine or chloramines. If this is a public water system, then it is very likely that either of those disinfectants are in the water. If you use campden tablets at a rate of 1 tablet per 20 gallons, it should take care of either disinfectant.

Getting a water test performed is the first step in understanding your water.

A water test is essential.....in our case, it told us that our well produces amounts of iron and calcium that make it unsuitable for brewing. It's RO water from the grocery all the way!

Latest posts

Back