Need help on what is a good trade for Dark Lord

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I managed to snag some Dark Lord this past weekend and I've already had a few requests to trade some for it. The problem is, while I'm a fan of craft beer, I've been drinking more and more home brew and so I don't really follow all the crazy/amazing/rare beers that come out. So I'm trying to figure out a fair trade. The Dark Lord were $26 each based on $15/bottle for 3 bottles and $35 tickets. That's not including travel, gas, hotel, waiting in line for 3 hours, etc. I don't want to be a jerk about it, but I know the market value is a bit higher, but I'd rather keep the beer gods happy and trade for other beer instead of selling outright.

1) He's looking for 2 bottles. Not sure if I'll do 1 or 2. He's local, so we can get the same normal stuff, but he has a decent selection of rare/older beer. Here's the list. Note that I'm am a big fan of big stouts and porters, but not barleywines and Belgian beers.

So far the ones that caught my eye are:
- the Deschutes Abyss (great ratings and I'm a fan of their beers)
- the black butte XXIV
- Bells Black Note Stout '12
- Great Lakes Barrel aged blackout stout

What else is good and what would be fair for 1 or 2 bottles of Dark Lord?

2) Second is an acquaintance that lives in Oregon. We were just in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver last summer and LA last fall, so we got some of the great beer out there that we can't get here, like Firestone Walker (brought a Parabola and Wooley Jack home), Elysian, Pliny etc. What are some good beers that would be a fair trade for 1 bottle of Dark Lord?

FYI: At this point I'm not looking to trade anymore than above as my current trades will leave me 3 bottles which is good enough for me.

Can anyone help me out?

Beeradvocate has tons of postings right now for DL. It's your beer, trade what you want for it. You can get all that you listed pretty easily for what you have.

I agree with above. It's your beer, you kinda have to decide. I've seen some people with dark lord asking for things that I think aren't worth their time. But its your taste buds.

It doesn't sound pike you are underselling yourself, so that's all we can really tell you.

I'd gun for surly darkness, bourbon county brand stout, KBS just to name a few. Maybe also two dark lords for a Bruery black tuesday

Thanks guys. I just don't want to get screwed so I was hoping someone would say you should get x, y, and z for your 1 DL. Guess that was wishful thinking.

Thanks ZamaMan for the suggestions. I do have a KBS in my fridge.

This is my 2 cents. DL is $15 a bottle and brewery only. Some similar price and similar availability stuff is what to go after. Ticket price and lines don't factor in IMO.
Bcbcs
Huna
Rosso
3-4 KBS, black note, ba blackout
Each could land a DL '13
And the list goes on

I witnessed a guy trade 1 DL for 2 KBS if that's any help. I have no interest in the cult that is DL. I enjoy 3F, I just don't have the time or energy for DL Day.

I have done a KBS x 2 for a dark lord trade before. It was with a friend and we opened up a couple nice beers together too.

This is my 2 cents. DL is $15 a bottle and brewery only. Some similar price and similar availability stuff is what to go after. Ticket price and lines don't factor in IMO.
Bcbcs
Huna
Rosso
3-4 KBS, black note, ba blackout
Each could land a DL '13
And the list goes on
Definitely get what your saying. I don't know any of those beers besides KBS which I luckily happened into for $5 for 1 bottle - all I could get. But not everyone could get one that wanted one so I can see someone paying 3-4x that. So I think that's why DL is selling for $60 on Craigslist. Supply and demand and all. So it's not that I had to wait in lines and pay for hotel rooms, but its scarce so I don't think it would be far to trade it for a $15 bottle that someone can get off the shelf with no effort even if its something I can't get locally. IMHO. Guess we'll see what they say.

Definitely get what your saying. I don't know any of those beers besides KBS which I luckily happened into for $5 for 1 bottle - all I could get. But not everyone could get one that wanted one so I can see someone paying 3-4x that. So I think that's why DL is selling for $60 on Craigslist. Supply and demand and all. So it's not that I had to wait in lines and pay for hotel rooms, but its scarce so I don't think it would be far to trade it for a $15 bottle that someone can get off the shelf with no effort even if its something I can't get locally. IMHO. Guess we'll see what they say.

Hunu is cigar city hunaphu (brewery only)
Rosso e marrone (brewery only)
Is it seriously selling for $60?
I just paid $20 for 2012 DL

I saw it on chicago's Craigslist. There are none on Cincinnati's so I might be able to get more. Or no one would care here - except the guy that wants to trade with me.

Can't believe someone would take a loss on it. It was $35 for the ticket in and $45 for 3 bottles so that's $26 each. I'd rather drink it than sell it at a loss.

Oh and get this. Some one in line paid $50 for the ticket to pay $50 for the barrel aged one!! Saw those for $300 on CL. That's nuts. I'm sure I would have paid $50 for the BA one, but not $100 or $300.

So you didn't get anything out of the experience of being at DLD? I usually don't factor in added cost of travel etc. in beers, just shoot for $4$. The other person usually has to work to get their beer also. In the end it is up to you and what you deem the value of your beer. But if I trade any of mine it will be $4$...

First off you Paid for a hotel room and a ticket to the event because you wanted to go. Why should the trader have to pay for it? Should I charge people part of my $300 membership to the bruery to trade a Black Tuesday or Chocolate rain ect? No i pay the membership fees because I want to drink their amazing barrel aged beers.

I do agree however that its not even to trade a shelf $4$ for a brewery only beer which is why I would suggest trying to get other Brewery only beers. When someone offers to trade a brewery only beer for an amazing shelf beer like parabola I try to throw the $4$ in their favor as a token of appreciation. Alot of shelf beers like BCBS are impossible to find over here and are real limited even in their distribution area so how do you rate that?

Also the crap hits the fan when you start trying to take into consideration post market prices. People pay $90 for BT and $150 for CR so which price to we go off of when we trade?

If you want to keep things even try to find things with similar bottle counts and close prices.

Don't get ripped off. If someone wants a dl the trade will be right. Only do it if you feel the trade is equal.

Thanks yoitsluke. I whittled his list down to about a dozen beers that I was interested and told him to make me an offer that only contained those beers. Told him I wanted to see where his "ball park" was since I don't trade beer and I'm not up on all the rare beers. He also listed the average price, which could be complete BS, but they seemed okay to me. Let's just say it was > $4$ and < Craigslist price. I countered asking for more, but still less than CL price, so we'll see what he says. I'd much rather do this locally than dealing with shipping, so hopefully it works out.

There's also still a chance the acquaintance trade may fall through. Sent him a message yesterday and still haven't heard back.

Just because its listed on CL doesn't mean it's actually selling for that price. They list high and hope they can sell to suckers.

I got 6 bottles last weekend as well. Sold my Port Barrel aged DL for a couple hundred immediately as I was leaving. As for the regular Dark Lords, it's all personal taste. You can ask for a ton and get it. Personally, I've traded a bunch of DL's over the years and never asked for a ton. People feel like they're getting one over on me (ripping me off) but I'm not into all the whale hunting. Some guy I traded with called me an idiot after trading with him because all he sent me was a 6 pack of Sculpin and a Russian River sour but said he would have given me more. If i wanted more, I could have gotten it. But i like sharing this with people who appreciate because personally...Dark Lord is hugely overhyped. Give me a Yeti any damn day of the week

GoldenShowerGladiator said:
I got 6 bottles last weekend as well. Sold my Port Barrel aged DL for a couple hundred immediately as I was leaving. As for the regular Dark Lords, it's all personal taste. You can ask for a ton and get it. Personally, I've traded a bunch of DL's over the years and never asked for a ton. People feel like they're getting one over on me (ripping me off) but I'm not into all the whale hunting. Some guy I traded with called me an idiot after trading with him because all he sent me was a 6 pack of Sculpin and a Russian River sour but said he would have given me more. If i wanted more, I could have gotten it. But i like sharing this with people who appreciate because personally...Dark Lord is hugely overhyped. Give me a Yeti any damn day of the week

He called you an idiot!? WTF is wrong with people?

GoldenShowerGladiator said:
big part of why i stay away from beeradvocates trading forums nowadays

That's your first problem! Ratebeer is a way better community then BA! Lol

I'm trying to score some Dark Lord if anyone is looking to trade. But I'm with the consensus I don't hord I try to trade as equal as possible

2 of mine are being held for a poster here and I'm trading another for a mix of Good People Brewing beers and a Green Flash bomber. I'd like to get a Surly Darkness if possible

i specifically asked for Snake Handler and the brown. We're stopping there on our way down to Florida in June and i wanted to get a headstart on their beers

Just a heads up you can only drink at the brewery. Can't buy from there. They just brewed el gordo this week also

The deed is done. This was for 2 bottles of DL.

It was supposed to be just three 12 oz bottles but he brought me 2 alpha kings and the plead the fifth :up:

Thoughts?

yAUWuRI.jpg

That's a decent haul there. Jai alai is good, never tried the oak aged version. The rest is very solid.

Oak is WAY better than regular. I get white oak regularly but when I receive regular I pass it on as extras.

Back