Group Buy in Chicago #8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume if the cutoff is the 27th it won't be delivered until early may. I will be available to assist like last to e unless delivery is the weekend of the 3-5th

Depending on the day but i will do my best to be there and help with heavy lifting

I am hoping to receive delivery before a Friday. This way we can start early on a Friday and continue through the evening. Even though there are a lot of splits, they are only two way splits so that helps a lot. Hops are easy too since they are all 1 pound increments.

Depending on the day and time I will try to make it down and help.
Is there anything we would need to bring to help out?

I'm having a minor surgery on Monday and won't be able to lift anything for 6 weeks after that. If the delivery ends up taking longer than that, I might be able to come up to Bill's and help with the splits.

Cattle Rattle has begun......I hear a two and I get a three,three, three can I get a three

Any thoughts on how splits are gonna go, there are a few folks that looks like all they bought are splits...lots of splits.. time to step and volunteer to bag shuck.
I'll volunteer again, and I'll bring my trailer and get a sheidtload out of the way first day, if timing works. I can bring my vac sealer also for the hops, are there bags or rolls remaining, I came across a place with sealable mylar bags and oxysorbs for a reasonable price...

Oh yeah shameless plug...Magnum hop is a great bittering hop there a few pounds left...its a great oops I forgot to order some hops I need to bitter this up and save my flavor/aromas for late addtions.

Picked up 2 lbs of Magnum from your split. I think there's only one pound left. Somebody grab it! It's a great bittering hop. Nice, clean, smooth bitterness. And while I was at it, I grabbed a lb of Styrian Goldings. With all these hops and the contract coming in at the end of the year, it may be time for a bigger freezer.

I don't think Styrian Goldings are available. I was part of the split until someone pointed that out earlier in the thread.

Guys why are there currently two "Dark Belgian Candi Syrup" splits open? Both have only one out of three splits accounted for? If the person who opened the second split just took one of the existing splits it would have been that much close to filling the split. Also two "Zythos" splits open and, similarly, both have only one out eleven spots filled??? check the dashboard before placing split orders, as no one is happy when their split doesn't fill :( other wise "Keep Calm and Carry On".

I don't think Styrian Goldings are available. I was part of the split until someone pointed that out earlier in the thread.

%$&#... I'll delete mine off that split then. Any idea who opened it? Or can we just delete the split from the database altogether?

Guys why are there currently two "Dark Belgian Candi Syrup" splits open? Both have only one out of three splits accounted for? If the person who opened the second split just took one of the existing splits it would have been that much close to filling the split. Also two "Zythos" splits open and, similarly, both have only one out eleven spots filled??? check the dashboard before placing split orders, as no one is happy when their split doesn't fill :( other wise "Keep Calm and Carry On".

I'm blaming the newbies...

I am available on Saturdays after 11:00 and Sundays in the mornings for helping with splits.

As for the zythos splits, I only have 1 pound ordered now and I was the first to open a split on the first day, but if it comes down to a split not getting filled, I have no problem picking up another pound.

I am available on Saturdays after 11:00 and Sundays in the mornings for helping with splits.

As for the zythos splits, I only have 1 pound ordered now and I was the first to open a split on the first day, but if it comes down to a split not getting filled, I have no problem picking up another pound.

I'm pretty sure your split filled. I think the issue is with people opening new splits but not checking the existing splits first.

Do enough people here still bottle for it to be worth getting a box of bottle caps and splitting them by weight? I'd like to buy in bulk but I don't need anything like 10,000. I always run out of caps before anything else, it's what sends me to my lhbs most often.

Do enough people here still bottle for it to be worth getting a box of bottle caps and splitting them by weight? I'd like to buy in bulk but I don't need anything like 10,000. I always run out of caps before anything else, it's what sends me to my lhbs most often.

I bottle exclusively and would be in 3 way split (3.333,333 caps :)

That's still a lot of caps for me. I was thinking more 4 or 5 way split, but I could be persuaded.

im fine in 4 or 5 way split as well, anyway caps are not very expensive so we dont save a lot on this item (for me its like $40 a year for caps from brew and grow vs 20 if we buy in bulk)

I'm blaming the newbies...

The distributor is 'split seeding' - knowing that we're all grain junkies they're just adding random splits knowing that somebody will probably close it out.

"Half sack of peated midnight wheat? Well...... OK!"

The distributor is 'split seeding' - knowing that we're all grain junkies they're just adding random splits knowing that somebody will probably close it out.

"Half sack of peated midnight wheat? Well...... OK!"

Is this how you end up with grain that you couldn't remember ordering?

Is it possible to split bottle wax? I tried to one up, but it didn't give me the option. I don't want 10lbs worth, but if 10 people wanted to do a split, I'd be interested.

Thanks for putting this group buy together. I added a couple sacks of grain a week ago, but I still don't see them in the google spreadsheet. Is there something I'm missing or need to do to finalize my order?

Thanks for putting this group buy together. I added a couple sacks of grain a week ago, but I still don't see them in the google spreadsheet. Is there something I'm missing or need to do to finalize my order?

look at the user work sheet within the spreadsheet, rows 145-148

the database will not split bottle caps, wax, etc. One person will need to purchase it then split it among yourselves. This buy has already gotten 'split crazy' so I have no desire to split any other items.

the database will not split bottle caps, wax, etc. One person will need to purchase it then split it among yourselves. This buy has already gotten 'split crazy' so I have no desire to split any other items.

Gottcha... This late in the game, I won't even bother trying to set this up separately.

Just curious, how do the hop splits come? If I order 1lb, is 1lb packaged separately? Just curious If I need to use it fairly quickly. thanks guys

Just curious, how do the hop splits come? If I order 1lb, is 1lb packaged separately? Just curious If I need to use it fairly quickly. thanks guys

They'll likely be weighed and put into a ziplock bag and you can purge them and vac seal them on your own.

Not discussed: The alternative is, and the decision is not up to me; is to vac seal them into 1 lb increments, this does add some cost for the purchase of sealer bags.

I say toss them in zip bags and we can figure it out. Most efficient for the people who are having to spend the time weighing all these hops. However, I have a vac. sealer and will seperate further. You may have a different opinion if you are not able the vac. seal.

Right here!! I'll take some caps

Remember that time you thought that limiting grain splits to 2 ways would decrease your overall split count? ;)

At least this time I'll be there to help, since I think my order has 3 whole sacks and 16 splits. :mug:

*EDIT* 19 splits, 2 whole sacks, and those '1 of 11' splits are taunting me.

I'm also, depending on when you do the splits, probably available to provide manual labor. Just send me a PM and let me know.

I'd love to help out... But a lot of stars would have to align to make it feasible. I suppose at some point the shop runs out of room for helpers, but I'll reassess the possibilities once the delivery date is established... and offer up if I can.

Depending on the weekend....I'm out of town the weekend of May 2nd...I might be able to come in and help. Granted someone from the SW burbs is going in also.

Troof. Funny thing is that I am wanting to go home and sort through everything again just to see if I can use something. I have so many splits and partial sacks from the last buy that I feel like I have a homebrew shop in my basement.

It's a sickness, I think.

wait until you read my comments that I am about to post in the CHBG group. our options have just increased for the future. :mug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back