How many batches before you bought a wort chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran into the issue yesterday of not having any ice so I didn't get it cooled fast at all. If you are letting it sit to cool (had it in cold water bath along with frozen bottles that were sanitzied) is it ok?

I actually put it in the freezer for about 45 minutes to see if that would help at too... I eventually just tossed it in the fermenter and let it sit capped in the garage for 1.5 and then pitched.

Thinking an IC will be on the x-mas list!

^^ Plus you are not going to wait near as long for the wort to chill to pitching temps. I would rather spend 15-20 minutes chilling as opposed to waiting hours for it to chill. Once you get the temp down and pitch the yeast, you don't have to muck with it for the next few weeks.

Looking forward to using my larger plate chiller with winter ground water temps. Longest it's taken, so far (at the new place) is about 12 minutes to chill over 7 gallons of boiling hot wort to about 64F. Getting ready to move into the basement for brewing. Plan on getting a plumber in to give me a fitting to connect the chill water onto. If things go well, he'll also be installing a sink in the basement (will send the waste water into that). :D

Stop press... brewed my NB Breakwater Pale Ale yesterday and christened the home made chiller. Any concerns as to it's effectiveness due to dimension (20' x 3/8") or not particualrly cold NV ground water quickly disappeared. 2.5 gallons below 80 in about 15 mins. That might not sound significant to you bigger brewers but coming from ice baths it's a joy! It's not just about saving time and effort on stockpiling/acquiring the ice but a prompt cold break is well written about as a desirable thing.

I didn't save much on buying a chiller - it cost me maybe $50 but it's very easy to do and I like a challenge!

Anyway, if you're considering getting a chiller stop considering and get one!!

I meant to add that the water initially coming out of the chiller was warm enough to bathe in and when I agitated the kettle the heat went up again.

Golddiggie said:
Its where you don't actively chill the wort. It can take a long time, depending on where you are and temperatures, to get to pitching temp this way. I'd rather actively chill my with and get it to pitch temp fast, with all the benefits there. With no-chill you can have increased DMS form that you won't get with an active chill method. IMO, not worth it.

I believe the concern over DMS is a bit over rated. I brew mostly ales not lagers so DMS is less probable. There are a number of threads that discuss this issue in depth in HBT and the brew network, etc. as with any technique you have to way the pros and cons. I appreciate the flexibility offered by a 12-24 break during the brew day. I often brew at night, I finish at around 9pm or later and pitch at 7 or 8am the next day.

I believe that wort chillers and secondaries are a scam by home brew shops - just my conspiracy theory. :)

-John

I believe the concern over DMS is a bit over rated. I brew mostly ales not lagers so DMS is less probable. There are a number of threads that discuss this issue in depth in HBT and the brew network, etc. as with any technique you have to way the pros and cons. I appreciate the flexibility offered by a 12-24 break during the brew day. I often brew at night, I finish at around 9pm or later and pitch at 7 or 8am the next day.

I believe that wort chillers and secondaries are a scam by home brew shops - just my conspiracy theory. :)

-John

Great, another one... :rolleyes:

For me, chilling almost 7 gallons of boiling hot wort to pitching temperatures in 10-12 minutes is worth the cost of the chiller. I live (and now brew) alone, so I'm not about to let the wort just sit around for a day to get close to pitching temperature. Especially if I brew and have places to be the next day (like work, family, etc.). With a chiller, my batch will already be fermenting while yours is still cooling down.

BTW, I've seen the importance of rapid chilling of wort documented in plenty of places that have zero ties to homebrew shops, or any companies that make chillers.

You can keep doing your no-chill if you want, but to think that using an active chill method is part of a conspiracy is just plain NUTS. Next you'll say that we never landed on the moon, that Elvis is not dead, and that you believe aliens are visiting (from outer space) to give rectal exams. :rolleyes:

Golddiggie said:
Great, another one... :rolleyes:

For me, chilling almost 7 gallons of boiling hot wort to pitching temperatures in 10-12 minutes is worth the cost of the chiller. I live (and now brew) alone, so I'm not about to let the wort just sit around for a day to get close to pitching temperature. Especially if I brew and have places to be the next day (like work, family, etc.). With a chiller, my batch will already be fermenting while yours is still cooling down.

BTW, I've seen the importance of rapid chilling of wort documented in plenty of places that have zero ties to homebrew shops, or any companies that make chillers.

You can keep doing your no-chill if you want, but to think that using an active chill method is part of a conspiracy is just plain NUTS. Next you'll say that we never landed on the moon, that Elvis is not dead, and that you believe aliens are visiting (from outer space) to give rectal exams. :rolleyes:

Yeah but I/we don't spend money on water OR chill plates and when we're drinking our beer, we're still happy as pigs in (golddiggie's opinions)

Yeah but I/we don't spend money on water OR chill plates and when we're drinking our beer, we're still happy as pigs in (golddiggie's opinions)

I have yet to use more water than is included in the MINIMUM charge where I am. So water cost is $0 additional. Plate chiller/chiller cost is [most of the time] a one time deal (unless you change chiller size or type). Most people go MANY years before changing their chiller. Some never change.

Do what you like, but my batches are already in full swing while yours are still trying to get to pitch temp.

I built mine out of 25 foot of copper tubing, a garden hose and hose clamps. Very easy to build and efficient. I brew partial mash and cool 3.5 gallons from boiling to 85 degrees F. in about 15 minutes. When I dump this into my fermenter and top up with cold water it is pitching temp. Also a tip, I am very frugal and asked for the materials to build the chiller for my birthday.

Golddiggie said:
I have yet to use more water than is included in the MINIMUM charge where I am. So water cost is $0 additional. Plate chiller/chiller cost is [most of the time] a one time deal (unless you change chiller size or type). Most people go MANY years before changing their chiller. Some never change.

Do what you like, but my batches are already in full swing while yours are still trying to get to pitch temp.

Not that I'm advocating no-chill, but a 12 to 24 hour jump start in a 2 week to 2+ month fermentation doesn't sound all that impressive.

Not that I'm advocating no-chill, but a 12 to 24 hour jump start in a 2 week to 2+ month fermentation doesn't sound all that impressive.

Getting it started sooner means less chances of bad things getting a foothold in the wort. With pitching starters, I typically start to have activity in under 8 hours. Often full blown fermentation is going in under 12 hours.

Getting it started sooner means less chances of bad things getting a foothold in the wort. With pitching starters, I typically start to have activity in under 8 hours. Often full blown fermentation is going in under 12 hours.

Agreed. Its not about saving time. It's about saving your beer.

Before I brewed my first full volume brew, I made a chiller. It takes about 30 minutes using my warmish tap water to get to pitching temp. I stir the wort by moving the chiller around in the pot slowly and my beers have never been clearer due to a great cold break.

I bought a wort chiller before I ever fired up my kettle for the first time.

I wanted to do an IPA, and my LHBS guy is a whiz kid at brewing, been doing it for a long long time. Told me I would hate the IPA's if I didn't manage to chill them quickly. Sold me a new chiller for less than I could buy it online, and I never looked back. I'd like a bigger one now, but it works just fine for my needs.

I bought one after waiting 2 hours for my wort to chill last night (my thermometer was giving me errors, another issue) I decided to buy one today after 9 batches. Using frozen water bottles worked for a while, but time is money and I am moving to all grain soon.

I ended up staying up until 4am last night making that batch, I started around 10 pm and made yeast starter 48 hours before and didn't want to waste my yeast. I could have been done around 2:15 if I used a wort chiller.

No more brewing until 4am from here on out.

I ordered this stainless steel 50 foot chiller on ebay for $83 shipped. Picked stainless since it has less of a chance of oxidizing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290350368599?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Well, I finally got a chiller. So, I my number is 10 or so.

I'll say that, after having used the chiller once, I've seen what the fuss is about. If you can find a way to use a chiller, do so. It's a great time saver, and not hard to use/clean.

Ahhh. The good old thread necro. Well, since it's already razed...

One batch.

Yeah, I bought my chiller after a single 3g kettle of red took myself and buddy the better part of an hour to chill in a sink ice water bath.

I built mine out of 25 foot of copper tubing, a garden hose and hose clamps. Very easy to build and efficient. I brew partial mash and cool 3.5 gallons from boiling to 85 degrees F. in about 15 minutes. When I dump this into my fermenter and top up with cold water it is pitching temp. Also a tip, I am very frugal and asked for the materials to build the chiller for my birthday.

Did you clean your homemade chiller before the first time you used it? I just recentlymade one and after the first use it had changed color a bit on the part submerged in the wort. Hoping it didnt impart any harmful chemicals into my beer.

Huh. I'm in Texas and my ground water stays so warm in the summer, i have been weary of getting one. Chilled partial extract batches very fast, no issues. Ive now chilled two full volume batches, down to 75f. 20 minutes. Using a giant plastic bin and A LOT of ice / frozen water bottles. I want to upgrade, but whats the point if my ground water is the same temp as the nighttime outside? I figure a lot more ice is a good alternative, although the work i put into chilling may not be worth it for some people.

Maybe i should use both? I usually have a couple friends to help.

I use the non-chill method.
Extract brewing, eclusively stouts of some variety.(usually milk stouts)
After the boil i pour the hot wort into primary through a strainer and aggitate it as much as possible.(to get air into the wort)
I then add my 2-3 gallons of cool water to top it off to 5 gallons.(i should probably throw these in the freezer during the boil)
Slap on my sanitised airlock (This keeps dust/bugs/wild yeast out of my wort)and go to bed.(I brew at night)
After i wake up the next day i take 5 minutes or less to pop in the yeast and yeast nutrient.Every batch so far has came out great.
For the guy whom keeps saying something like `my beer is fermenting while yours is still cooling`....B.F.D. sinse when did this become a race?
If i were brewing lagers or pale ales/other styles then i would want to use a chiller to avoid the potential off flavors but for the stuff i make i just dont see it as a needed step.

10-11 batches, no chiller. Ice bath for a little bit plus cold water gets it down to temp.

Ahhh. The good old thread necro. Well, since it's already razed...

Yeah, I guess I'm not sure why I though it necessary to resurrect this thread. Just thought I'd try to complete the thread, having started it. Anyway, always interesting to hear what people are up to with their setups.

15 batches....still no wort chiller. Still only doing partial boils though. I fill my sink up with an ice batch and let it cool while I clean/sanitize everything else.

I did a couple partial mashes without one. When I moved to full boils outdoors I knew the ice bath wasn't going to cut it anmore so I made an immersion chiller. Last summer when my water was warm I realized I couldn't get down to pitching temp so I made a 2nd chiller. That one I place into an ice bath to supercool the water before it enters the chiller in my kettle. So I'm set up for a heat wave this year. :D

None. Built my own from 25' of 1/2" copper tubing, some elbows, and pipe adapters. All soldered connections. I knew going in to this hobby that I would need one to make life easier and it was more rewarding building it myself than buying one. I think mine is better, too.

BEER.jpg

None. Built my own from 25' of 1/2" copper tubing, some elbows, and pipe adapters. All soldered connections. I knew going in to this hobby that I would need one to make life easier and it was more rewarding building it myself than buying one. I think mine is better, too.

Damn that's a nice job! How much do you think the final cost of materials was?

I purchased one after 5 or so batches, but I'm thinking of making a custom one for my wide 15gal pot.

Would/could never go back to using an ice bath. Although I did read someone on here freezing gallons of distilled water, then sticking it in starsan and cutting open the plastic into the kettle. Seems like the best way without a chiller.

Trying to remember if I responded to this before, but I don't think I did. For me it was after around 10 batches I think. Wouldn't want to go back, ice batch wasn't bad but it took about 4x as long.

Damn that's a nice job! How much do you think the final cost of materials was?

I purchased one after 5 or so batches, but I'm thinking of making a custom one for my wide 15gal pot.

Would/could never go back to using an ice bath. Although I did read someone on here freezing gallons of distilled water, then sticking it in starsan and cutting open the plastic into the kettle. Seems like the best way without a chiller.

I've got about $60 in it. The tubing I had laying around from a years old project, so we're talking copper prices 10 years ago. All of the fittings are new purchases. Solder, flux and tooling I already had. The garden hose m/f to female pipe fittings (not pictured) and the male pipe copper ends were the most expensive pieces.

I've done 4 batches so far, all partial boils and extracts w/ grains. I haven't used a chiller and don't plan to until I step up to full boils. I put 4 gallons of water into my fridge when I start brewing, this gets the temp to about 40 degrees by the time i'm done boiling. Then use a 20 gal tote, fill it about 1/3 with cold water and ice from my fridge ice maker, then just before my boil is finished i put in about 10 -15 frozen water bottles. Drop the kettle into this and whirlpool the wort every 3 or 4 minutes and use hands to "stir" the water in the tote.

I usually pitch at about 70 degrees and with my top of water at 40 degrees, depending on how much wort is in the boil I usually need to cool to about 90 degrees. With the exception of my first batch I've been able to get to this temp in less than 10 minutes every time. Once I get to between 90 and 95 i poor two gallons of top off water into the primary, check wort temp until it's cool enough, pour wort in, then top off to 5 -5.25 gal.

Once i get to a point that I want to invest more money into equipment, have more time to brew, and switch to all grain I will get a larger kettle and will get a chiller at that point.

I'm no expert but read that you shouldn't aerate hot wort, it shouuld be cooled prior and as quick as possible (prompt cold break). For the guy in TX I live in NV and would think any water temp cooler than that of the wort would be effective in drawing away heat.

Cannot believe the lengths some folks go to with wort chillling. I made a copper IC after half dozen brews and would never go back to ice. What a Royal PITA.

Now if only there were an iddy biddy IC for my starter flask...

I did 5 partial boil extract batches before moving to all grain and full volume. Got the wort chiller in that process.

0. Built a 25' copper-coil IC when I was intially building my setup. 18 AG batches later, I upgraded to a plate chiller. Now I chill my entire 5 gallon boil down to 65° F in about a minute and a half.

bought mine after 1st batch, however i do wish i bought counterflow chiller now. Still a great option for relatively cheap money.

I did about 10 partial boil extract batches before moving to all grain and full volume. I got a plate chiller after that and I have never looked back. I am very pleased with my decision to purchase a chiller and would highly recommend it.

Back