Double IPA Tits-Up Imperial IPA (3-Time Medalist - 2 Golds, 1 Silver)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rehlgood said:
This is going to secondary on Friday. What is the best way to dry hop? In a bag? Straight in the carboy? In a keg?

I've always been a fan of hops straight into the carboy. Primarily because I don't want any influence in flavor from something like a cheesecloth. It's ok in the boil, but I hesitate to throw in a cheesecloth to my fermenting brew. Even the slightest dust, dirt, or whatever can tweak the brew in an unknown way. I like to eliminate variables.

Brewed this tonight and ended up with 1.085 FG and 6 gallon post boil. This is the first time for me making an IIPA, and I learned a lesson LOL I dumped all 6 gallons in a 6.5 gallon bucket, on top of a clean US05 cake. 20 minutes later wort is foaming out of airlock. Hooked up a blow off tube right away and put it in a rubbermaid container with cold ice packs, holy crap. RDWHAHB? I hope the lid doesn't rip off tonight

I've been meaning to get around to this recipe for some time and after what I just did for my 29 lb grain barleywine, I think I will go the same route for the Tits-Up: rescale the recipe for two 3.5 gallon batches (mayb3 4.0 gallon) and put into two 5 gallon glass carboys for primary, then combine into a 6 gallon glass carboy for secondary. Helps not only with giving me extra room in my 8 gallon boil kettle but also eases the mashing and dealing with sludge loss when transferring.

I deleted the last picture because of the filter used. Here's a better one.

image-3968156262.jpg

This was my first time making a beer this large so I figured my normal 70-72% efficiency would be down a bit, more like the 64 that the recipe was designed for.

Managed to still hit 70+% so needless to say my gravity is a bit high. Add to that my boil off was a bit higher than normal...

6 gallons of 1.090 wort will soon be bubbling away in my basement tonight. I just got done cleaning up.

Just discovered the recipe section of the forum.

This looks a lot like the ipas and double ipas ive been brewing up. Ive found I like to stay away from the medium or darker crystals. Even c40 im not too fond of for beers with the columbus.cascase.amarillo.citra.centennial type hops. Honey malt and c10 to 20 with varying amounts of sugar so the beer finishes dry is a match made in heaven. I tend to stay away from any other specialty malts and stick with vienna or munich for part of the base if im looking for a different malt profile. I must say, MO is really peaking my interest instead of the standard 2row for the majority of my base malt.

I never had a beer judged but am pretty confident my ipas would do well if this one did. Maybe this will be my first brew of a recipe other than my own.

Looks good muncher

has anyone tried brewing thsi with 2 row? 18lbs of MO at my LHBS will be the death of my wallet. 2 row i have on hand from group buys, i suppose it will lose some biscuitty flavors hmmm

has anyone tried brewing thsi with 2 row? 18lbs of MO at my LHBS will be the death of my wallet. 2 row i have on hand from group buys, i suppose it will lose some biscuitty flavors hmmm

2-Row will work just fine. Take about 3-4 pounds of the (un-milled) 2-Row and toast it in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes....stirring the grains a couple of times.

Adds a nice subtle breadiness to make up for not using MO.

2-Row will work just fine. Take about 3-4 pounds of the (un-milled) 2-Row and toast it in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes....stirring the grains a couple of times.

Adds a nice subtle breadiness to make up for not using MO.

what a truely excellent idea, fine sir! I did something similar recently while brewing the CYBI Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin with wheat. this is my next brew...I used to hate hoppy beers. Now they are never hoppy ENOUGH!

I brewed this 8 days ago and it is still slowly bubbling in my blow off tube… quite impressive seeing as how all my previous ones have stopped bubbling after 4-5 days in an airlock lol.

I can't wait to try this one, the first big, hoppy beer I have tried as a relative new comer to home brewing.

Thanks for the recipe.

Is there anyone our there that can help me translate this recipe to an extract brew? I'm not set up for AG or partial mash or anything like that but really really want to brew this one. Any ideas guys? Thanks....

Is there anyone our there that can help me translate this recipe to an extract brew? I'm not set up for AG or partial mash or anything like that but really really want to brew this one. Any ideas guys? Thanks....

For a 5 gallon batch, reduce the specialty malts by 25% and steep in 150 degree water for 30 minutes. If youre not doing a full boil keep the bittering hops the same and reduce the late addition and dry hops by 25%. 8 lbs of light dme should get you close to where you need to be in terms of gravity. Add that in around the 10 minute mark.

Also check out the tastybrew recipe calculator and adjust everything for your setup. Id provide the link but my phone is a pita. Google it.

This is what I came up with using a conversion of (grainx0.75). The OG is way high on this calc. I'm also confused about what a friend said as I showed him this . He says that there are certain ways people add the LME to their boil to avoid an extensive sweet taste when batches call for more than 9lbs. Any thoughts on this since the conversion called for 13.5lbs? And this seems like a lot of additional grains to me also. Any thoughts on how to revise this recipe for the better, please share your wisdom! Thanks for the tip on tasty brew btw. Calc is pretty cool. Although this might be a wrong conversion, which I know it is, I do like the 10 abv :)

ForumRunner_20130214_071547.png

Okay. A little mod to the recipe. Tell me what you think. Thinking about adding some jalapeño to the dry hop also. Not too much but just enough to at a tiny bite of spice on the tongue so the carb really accents the jalo to create that explosion of all the hops flavor.

Any suggestions? Or input? Much appreciated. Thanks!

Just realized that I have all of the necessary grain & hops in my basement to brew this. And I'm brewing a 1.060 IPA that will make an excellent starter to generate a good jolly pitch of yeast. Crap. I think it's time to get stupidly hoppy. :D

I've been trying to decide whether to brew a blonde or an IIPA as my last beer before packing up to move the family cross-country. Both this and BMs centennial blonde have been on my 'to brew' short list, and I can't help but notice the similarity in grain bill between the two recipes. BM, have you ever brewed these two as a partigyle? Flananuts, it sounds like you have, do you two (or does anyone else) have any suggestions in formulating this as a partigyle? Are there enough sugars left in the mash after a reasonably efficient sparge to get a small beer? I know there are many variables here. I've done a partigyle on my system already, after heavily studying (esp. the Mosher tables), and for my system I was thinking of trying to run the 10 gallon tits up recipe as two 6 gallon recipes. Any thoughts? Many thanks to BM for sharing so manny great recipes :)

shoshin said:
I've been trying to decide whether to brew a blonde or an IIPA as my last beer before packing up to move the family cross-country. Both this and BMs centennial blonde have been on my 'to brew' short list, and I can't help but notice the similarity in grain bill between the two recipes. BM, have you ever brewed these two as a partigyle? Flananuts, it sounds like you have, do you two (or does anyone else) have any suggestions in formulating this as a partigyle? Are there enough sugars left in the mash after a reasonably efficient sparge to get a small beer? I know there are many variables here. I've done a partigyle on my system already, after heavily studying (esp. the Mosher tables), and for my system I was thinking of trying to run the 10 gallon tits up recipe as two 6 gallon recipes. Any thoughts? Many thanks to BM for sharing so manny great recipes :)

A friend and I combined our spent mash during a brew party recently (he had a DIPA and I did a lil Sumpin Sumpin clone) and our efficiencies on the first and second runnings (both batch sparged) were so high that we could barely make a 5 gallon small beer. Roughly it was like 30lbs of mash we rinsed with another 6 gallons of hot water. We barely got enough for 5 gallon at 1.029 post boil. My friend tossed in some DME he had laying around and we had ourselves a small beer.

I suppose if you were happy with a 3 gallon batch or so you could make a damned awesome small beer from the 3rd runnings. I usually make starter wort with my 3/4th runnings :/

Greetings all,
I'm going to make this in the next month and was wondering if anyone had tried a 11 gallon batch?
anything to watch out for?

Hi BierMuncher, hope you or other members can help me figure out what to do as I only have access to the following Hops:
Saaz
Magnum
Tettneng
Hallertau
Styrian Goldings.
This is all I can get my hands on right now. Can anyone suggest how I can made this amazing IIPA work with something from my Hop list.
Not good I know but this is all I can get for awhile.

Hi BierMuncher, hope you or other members can help me figure out what to do as I only have access to the following Hops:
Saaz
Magnum
Tettneng
Hallertau
Styrian Goldings.
This is all I can get my hands on right now. Can anyone suggest how I can made this amazing IIPA work with something from my Hop list.

Do you mind me asking why you are limited to those hops?

Saaz
Magnum
Tettneng
Hallertau
Styrian Goldings.

Hmmm. Germany. Slovenia. Czech Republic. I don't know. Without any American (citrus) hops in there I'm not sure you can get close. Put a gun to my head and I guess I'd use Magnum for bittering and then a bunch of Styrian and Hallertau for late additions. But....I would advise holding off until you can do the grain bill justice with some Cascade or Columbus hops. :mug:

Brewed this up, ended up with slightly more water than i wanted...so ended up with OG of 1.075, and my bitterness will be a bit higher because all of my hops had higher AA values than those listed, so Beersmith says ill be around 130IBU so we'll see...

So i didnt see any mention of fermentation schedule..

How long are you guys letting this one sit? 2 weeks Primary then 2 weeks Dry hop approximately?

BM, have you ever brewed these two as a partigyle? Flananuts, it sounds like you have, do you two (or does anyone else) have any suggestions in formulating this as a partigyle? Are there enough sugars left in the mash after a reasonably efficient sparge to get a small beer? I know there are many variables here. I've done a partigyle on my system already, after heavily studying (esp. the Mosher tables), and for my system I was thinking of trying to run the 10 gallon tits up recipe as two 6 gallon recipes. Any thoughts? Many thanks to BM for sharing so manny great recipes :)

Have done three tits up since beginning of may. The most recent was a parti-gyle.

I switched up the hops and a bit of the grains the first time because of lack of maris otter. But the second and third tits used the right grain bill.

5/9/13 Tits Up 10 Gallon O.G. 1.082
13lbs UK Pale Malt
10.75 Maris Otter
1.75 carapils
1.75 crystal 10
.5 honey malt
1 corn sugar

Hop Schedule w/ Hop Spider
1Columbus @60
.5 mt hood @60
1 nugget @45
1 horizon @45
2 centennial @30
1.25 Cascade @ 15
1 amarillo @10
.5 mt hood @10
2 mt hood @0

dry hopped half with citra

pitched 1.5 packs us-05 for each 5 gallon carboy

step mashed 132-122 for 30 min
148-152 for for 1hr

Tits up version2 6/5/13 10gal O.G. 1.072 (left picture)
24 Maris Otter
1.75 carapils
1.75 crystal 10
1 corn sugar
.5 light brown sugar

1 Falconers Flight @60
1 Summit @ 60
1 Cascade @45
1Horizon @ 45
1 Nugget @ 30
1Tettnang @ 30
1 falconers flight @15
1 centennial @15
1cascade @10
1Amarillo @10
1 Magnum @0
dryhopped with 1 oz cascade

Partigyle Tits inspired iipa (center pic) 6/19/13
grains in mash tuns

36 Maris Otter
2.5 carapils
2.5 crystal 10
1 honey malt

1st runnings collected 6 gallons
added
1 corn sugar
1.5 honey

hops
Magnum FWH
Columbus @90
Galena @60
.5 brewers gold @45
1 Amarillo @ 30
1 mt hood @ 10
1 mt hood @ 0

preboil gravity 1.090
o.g. 1.110!
three packs of rehydrated us-05

2nd runnings (right pic)
added to the mash tuns
2# Munich
1#crystal 20
mashed for 1hr @152
gathered 11 gallons
added 1# corn sugar
1# honey
hops
1 columbus @75
1 centennial(leaf) @60
1 nugget @ 45
1 horizon @45
1 cascade @30
1 amarillo @ 15
1 mt hood @ 10
1 centennial @ 0

O.G. 1.072

Thanks BM this base recipe has produced some great experiments.

threeee.jpg

1110.jpg

10 minutes into the boil. Hit my numbers right on so far (that's a first). Really looking forward to this. Thanks BM!

Also, thinking about naturally conditioning in the keg. Anyone done both and noticed different results with this beer? Seems like the yeast may clean things up a bit better with this sort of lag time.

KarlHungus76 said:
Also, thinking about naturally conditioning in the keg. Anyone done both and noticed different results with this beer? Seems like the yeast may clean things up a bit better with this sort of lag time.

Not sure about this beer specifically, but CO2 is CO2. If you let it condition in the fermenter for long enough (2-3 weeks) I can't see getting anything else for bottle conditioning

FlyDoctor said:
Not sure about this beer specifically, but CO2 is CO2. If you let it condition in the fermenter for long enough (2-3 weeks) I can't see getting anything else for bottle conditioning

I probably should've been more specific. I was toying with the idea of priming (with sugar) the keg itself. Maybe letting the yeast keep working given the amount of time I'd plan on letting this mellow. I'll of course still hook the keg up to co2 when it goes into the keezer, but I was thinking the 70 or so degrees with priming sugar may keep the yeast cleaning up the beer. If I ferment out, keg, chill, and carb, the yeast will be dormant.
It's obviously a big beer and was wondering if anyone saw any merit in adding about 2 oz of priming sugar, keeping it at room temp for a few weeks, then chilling, carbing, and (finally) drinking.
This method vs just the old rack, chill, carb, drink.

KarlHungus76 said:
I probably should've been more specific. I was toying with the idea of priming (with sugar) the keg itself. Maybe letting the yeast keep working given the amount of time I'd plan on letting this mellow. I'll of course still hook the keg up to co2 when it goes into the keezer, but I was thinking the 70 or so degrees with priming sugar may keep the yeast cleaning up the beer. If I ferment out, keg, chill, and carb, the yeast will be dormant.
It's obviously a big beer and was wondering if anyone saw any merit in adding about 2 oz of priming sugar, keeping it at room temp for a few weeks, then chilling, carbing, and (finally) drinking.
This method vs just the old rack, chill, carb, drink.

I've not brewed this beer yet, but it is on the list. My only concern with your plan is that letting it sit a few more weeks *may* reduce the hop profile.

My experience with an AHS Pliny the Elder clone that I let age for 4 or so months and it was great, a very quaffable beer, but I'm not sure that is what you are looking for. You may want to try and dry hop a week or two before serving to get that hop punch - I'm a more mellow hop-head so the extended aging helped me and mellowed the beer.

Again this is an extrapolation as I have not brew this beer yet.

Back