Karbach: Weisse Versa Wheat Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have you tried contacting them, and asking? they MIGHT offer some hints.

I had this on draft and really loved it, then had a can of it and it was meh(guessing it was just old).
Anyway, I had considered trying to clone it as well. What I was going to do was buy a 6 pack and culture the yeast from the cans. That's pretty much the only thing of use I can share, sorry to not be much help.

Ok I think I have it. I am going to brew the partial mash tomorrow.

I don't know how to post a recipe on here I go:

5 gallons partial
OG 1.044
Max OG 1.052
Min IBU 10
Max IBU 20
Color: SRM LOVIBOND

Total grain 7.38lbs
Anticipated OG 1.050
Anticipated IBU 16.1
Efficiency 75%
Boil time 60min

Grain:
3.50 lbs Briess LME-Weizen
3.00 lbs Briess LME -gold
0.50 lbs Ceramic-pils dextrine malt
0.38 lbs Honey malt

Hop schedule:
0.67 oz Hallertauer 60 min
0.33 oz Hallertauer 1 min

Yeast: WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

Notes: 1/2 oz coriander and 1/2 oz sweet orange peel crushed 5 min left in boil

This is starting its second week fermenting. I tasted it after racking it to the secondary and it's tastes awesome!

If you live in Houston, go by for the tour and tasting Friday at 5. The brewers are always there and they'll give you more info. Plus for 8 bucks, you get a glass and 4 "samples."

Tasted this carbed yet? I'm interested in how close you got. I'd like to brew a clone myself.

The video on their website also mentions the use of lemon peel and lime peel.

-j

Yes. It tasted awesome! I’m already through 3/4 of the beer, I need to make more.
I have yet to buy a Wisse Versa and compare it side by side but it has that same banana characteristic and sweet orange peel. I highly suggest making it even if it’s not just like the original.

Ok i am not very good at describing these sorts of things but here is my verdict, as you can see from my picture I compared the color. Kerbach on the left and mine on the right. If I had to compare the two I would say mine was a more bolder taste, both had banana flavoring of equal value, the citrus came out more in mine. They were similar but if I had to chose between what I had to drink is mine. Mine had more characteristics to the pallet but did not overwhelm it. It's very well balanced. Even though its not right on what kerbach had, in my opinion it's better. Please brew and tell me what you think!

image-3882827337.jpg

Wow! I did mine in a bucket fermenter also. How big is your bucket? Mine did ferment for awhile.

It's my first ever starter, so I can't really speak from experience. I've read/heard that it makes for a healthier, more consistent fermentation, and lessens the chances of off-flavors from stressed yeast.

It's in the keg now. Still had some krausen when I racked it. I added a little too much water, so had a little over 5 gallons of finished beer. OG was 1.048, and it finished out (if it was finished) at 1.011. The hydrometer sample tasted great, if a tad on the light side. I got more clove than banana, and the tangerine peel I subbed for orange and the coriander were perceptible but well-blended with the malt flavor. This is going to be a great beer carbed! Thanks for the recipe!

-j

You might get closer on color by using Pilsen DME (instead of Gold LME) and add the bulk of it in the last 15 min of the boil.

ifpo238 said:
Following up, this recipe makes some really good beer. Thanks again!

Good! I'm glad! I was hoping to have another home brewers opinion.

I'm going to head up this beer again see if I can get any closer. I might make the ajustments with the Pilsen DME. Stay tuned!

Brewed this yesterday during the so called "Ice Storm" in Houston. Here is the new script! I had an accidental boil over so I hope its a good mistake.

5 gallons partial
OG 1.044
Max OG 1.052
Min IBU 10
Max IBU 20
Color: SRM LOVIBOND

Total grain 7.38lbs
Anticipated OG 1.050
Anticipated IBU 16.1
Efficiency 75%
Boil time 60min

Grain:
3.50 lbs Briess LME-Weizen
2.50 lbs Briess DME-Light
0.50 lbs Ceramic-pils dextrine malt
0.38 lbs Honey malt

Hop schedule:
0.67 oz Hallertauer 60 min
0.33 oz Hallertauer 1 min

Yeast: WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

Notes: 1/2 oz coriander and 1/2 oz sweet orange peel crushed 5 min left in boil

This is a partial...do you have the conversion for the complete 5 gallon recipe? I love weisse versa but I live in north texas. Can't get it up here...any help would be appreciated.

Partial here means partial mash. Are you looking for an all-grain recipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yea sorry I'm not experienced enough to convert to all grain but if you find the recipe post it on here.

Also be sure to ferment at the recommended temperature. I think it's like 75 degrees or more to get the banana taste, otherwise it's mostly clove.

So my last batch of this came out a little too light on the taste and not much body. Also there is too much clove and little to no banana. So I either have to not worry about the color and go with all extract or go all grain which I don't have the equipment for. Soooooo later in the future I will go back to my original recipe and ferment with a higher temperature or find a better yeast to get the banana flavor to come out.

I'm glad someone has tried to clone this beer I moved out of Houston and had my brothers bring it when they visited. That's how much I like this beer. I'm going to try this recipe. Thanks!

Back