Obnoxious Football Trash Talk Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By good i assume you mean most money thrown my way.

Um, no. I mean a GOOD TEAM. You know - a team with good players, good coaches, good owner, large fan base that stuffs The House every week, and that goes deep in the playoffs.

He got 90-something bazillion to tow his island to the wrong side of Floreeda. None of it guaranteed. I'm not sure that's "the most money" at the end of the day...

Cheers!

Jets only traded Revis because they already have the cheese on top of the nachos. Way over your heads....

Name that player

What's the over/under that Revis holds out in 2014 training camp for a new deal with guaranteed cash from Tampa? I was a fan of Revis but not his contract antics and distractions. He wanted to get paid quarterback money when the Jets 2013 plan is David Garrard. Just glad I won't have to see another awful Revis commercial about "Revis Island" from Dicks Sporting Goods. Now if we could just get rid of our fat **** of a coach with his sweater vests, foot fetishes, poor taste in tattoos, his inability to evaluate NFL-caliber quarterbacks, and his penchant for drafting defensive lineman who disappear in the 1st round then we'd be in much better shape. Revis wasn't the problem but he was definitely a symptom of the dysfunction. Week 1 should be interesting - there was really zero interest in watching those two teams play before.

Ok, so first of all, I accept that Revis (when healthy) is a better player than Aqib Taliq. No question.

But, Talib is a Pro Bowl-caliber cornerback (regarded as the best available in free agency this offseason) that Tampa Bay dumped mid-season for a fourth round pick. The Bucs also had to give up a 7th rounder. New England's now paying Talib $5M for next season.

Now, Tampa Bay has a huge hole at cornerback, so they trade for Revis, giving up the 13th overall pick, a 3rd or fourth rounder next year, and they're paying him what, $16M or so per year?

In sum:
New England has Aqib Talib for $5M, gave up a fourth round pick to acquire him, and also has a 7th rounder coming back.
Tampa Bay has Darrelle Revis for ~$16M, gave up a *high* first-round pick for him, AND a 3rd/4th rounder.

So, I give you that Revis is >> Talib.... but THAT much better? Really?

And, it all comes back to... Tampa Bay couldn't figure out how to manage Aqib Talib, while from all accounts he has been absolutely nothing but a model teammate in Foxboro.

$11M/year will buy you a LOT of quality depth (not to mention giving up the 13th overall pick - a spot in the draft where you EXPECT to be drafting an impact player).

One team didn't want him and the other was willing to part with the picks for a 1st rd talent. It works out for both teams bexuase the Bucs need excellent corners with the division they are in. And the Jets need every pick in the draft to turn around that train wreck.

Um, no. I mean a GOOD TEAM. You know - a team with good players, good coaches, good owner, large fan base that stuffs The House every week, and that goes deep in the playoffs.

He got 90-something bazillion to tow his island to the wrong side of Floreeda. None of it guaranteed. I'm not sure that's "the most money" at the end of the day...

Cheers!

If thats what players cared about then Mario Williams wouldn't be in Buffalo. Yes its not guaranteed but he will get at least 32mil as the Bucs won't cut him after 1 year if he doesn't come out right of the gate perform. That's a hell of alot more then any other team was going to give him.

One team didn't want him and the other was willing to part with the picks for a 1st rd talent. It works out for both teams bexuase the Bucs need excellent corners with the division they are in. And the Jets need every pick in the draft to turn around that train wreck.

... the point is (for those of you who need some help) is that the Bucs *could* have had an excellent cornerback (albeit a slight downgrade), AND the 13th overall pick, AND an extra $11M to spread around to other positions.

There's a reason some teams are consistently excellent and some are consistently mediocre.

Ok, so first of all, I accept that Revis (when healthy) is a better player than Aqib Taliq. No question.

But, Talib is a Pro Bowl-caliber cornerback (regarded as the best available in free agency this offseason) that Tampa Bay dumped mid-season for a fourth round pick. The Bucs also had to give up a 7th rounder. New England's now paying Talib $5M for next season.

Now, Tampa Bay has a huge hole at cornerback, so they trade for Revis, giving up the 13th overall pick, a 3rd or fourth rounder next year, and they're paying him what, $16M or so per year?

In sum:
New England has Aqib Talib for $5M, gave up a fourth round pick to acquire him, and also has a 7th rounder coming back.
Tampa Bay has Darrelle Revis for ~$16M, gave up a *high* first-round pick for him, AND a 3rd/4th rounder.

So, I give you that Revis is >> Talib.... but THAT much better? Really?

And, it all comes back to... Tampa Bay couldn't figure out how to manage Aqib Talib, while from all accounts he has been absolutely nothing but a model teammate in Foxboro.

$11M/year will buy you a LOT of quality depth (not to mention giving up the 13th overall pick - a spot in the draft where you EXPECT to be drafting an impact player).

All fair points. I look at Talib's situation as very similar to Randy Moss with Oakland. The Pats got Moss for only a 4th round pick because Oakland was tired of his antics, his lack of effort, and the effects that was having on the locker room. The Bucs had to get rid of Talib because he was fighting with teammates, couldn't stay out of the police blotter, and was suspended for using PEDs. There was no way the Bucs were going to resign him so they essentially gave him away with a low round pick.

And of course he ****ing behaved himself with the Pats - he was playing for a new contract. Now does he continue to be a model teammate after getting paid? He only signed a one year deal so he had better be smart. That's still something I would be concerned with given his record. Say what you want about Revis but you don't have to worry about the off-field BS with him like you do with Talib.

Also should point out that by moving to Florida, Revis will no longer have to pay state income tax like he would in NY and will keep more of his paycheck.

One other point; Talib was offered a multi-year deal by New England (not sure the exact dollar amounts); he chose the short-term, low-money option.

Bigger point being; you can ***** and complain about the Patriots and Belichick being an ******* and Brady being a prettyboy and whatever you want to ***** and complain about... the atmosphere there keeps players focused on playing. You don't hear about guys getting in trouble. Alfonso Dennard punches a cop before the draft; not a peep of trouble since coming to New England, to the point where he'll likely never go to jail because of how he's kept himself out of trouble. Randy Moss, Oakland had to give him away, but he was a model citizen in New England (and then he fell apart when he was traded). Clock-Killin' Corey Dillon, came in and just scored touchdowns. Aaron Hernandez, drops to the fourth round because of concerns of his off-field behavior/drug use; not a damn thing since he came to New England. He signs a rich new deal, and the first thing he does (literally) is write a massive check right back to the Myra Kraft Foundation.

Even Chad OchoCinco - he was fine in New England, behavior-wise. He just couldn't learn the playbook.

The only "problem child" I can think of in New England who remained a headache after getting here was Albert Haynseworth.

Will Talib remain a model citizen this year? Plenty of evidence to suggest that he will.

I don't actually have anything against NE persay. That said, I thought the deal surrounding Moss was rather suspect. Also, outside of his stint in TN, he's been a fairly model player in SF from what I saw even. As for Corey Dillon, I was glad to see him go get his ring as he'd been a workhorse for years @ a hapless team. In those case I can see why you'd go to a "good" team to try and get that ring before you threw in the towel to feel that just once. Otherwise, going to the good team sounds an awful lot like you'd want to be carried.

That said, Hernandez isn't a terrible player... But jeez, compared to him Gronk is a f'n rock of solidity. It always seems like Hernandez is out or injured to me and it has been for years. He's kind of like Percy Harvin. He has the capability to be a phenomenal player at any time... *IF* you can keep him healthy long enough to do so. In fact, kinda reminds me of *cough* Amendola *cough cough*.

All that aside, I suspect he'll keep his nose clean for a while barring the NE slide I truly expect is coming this year. Sure, they'll still win their division but I don't see them clinching that bye. If they don't look to be in sight of it wouldn't surprise me to see Talib regress to his old antics. It's not the end of the world granted as they can just ferry him out and generally speaking I think it was a great addition to what was a weak defense last year for a pretty reasonable price all things considered and it did seem to help quite a bit as they went up from abhorrent to just generally bad.

Also, as for Dennard... Didn't they finally hand down the ruling on that case like a few weeks ago or something? I'm hesitant to bill him rehabilitated for keeping his nose clean when he had that looming over him. Had he gotten into trouble during that window it would have potentially magnified the punishment issued on his other case (or at the very least, reduced the amount of leniency given). He still got a month in jail or some such IIRC but it was at least not during team periods so that he could still work out with the team at every opportunity. That said, I was never really clear on the deal surrounding him punching the cop so as a result I'm not really sold that he's necessarily a bad seed as opposed to he was in a bad situation and made a stupid mistake.

The only reason to expect New England to regress is if you think Brady is due to begin showing his age. The team around him... it's almost completely rebuilt. The running backs are young and talented. The receiving corp needs a little help still, but between Hernandez and Gronk and Jake Ballard, they've got some good tight ends, Amendola will be excellent (if he's healthy, granted), Edelman's due for a breakout (he might prove to be Welker II more than Amendola). The offensive line is always good, and they brought back SeaBass. On defense, they were very good and getting better once they traded for Talib and put Dennard in the starting lineup. Devin McCourty looks like an All Pro at safety, and he's still young. The linebackers are excellent and all still young. They've got some good muscle up-front that's still pretty young.

It's not like New England's running on fumes (like my Celtics are). I'm not that broken up about only having a handful of picks this year because they've got good, young talent at pretty much every position.

Unless Brady suddenly breaks down, they should be fine - and playing against Buffalo, the JETS, and Miami in the division, that's like getting a five-win headstart on everybody else. Miami looks improved, I could see NE losing a game down there but otherwise, the division should be a cakewalk.

Well, I do think Brady has declined a little bit each of the last few years. However, he still plays at a tremendous level and did me solid the last two years ala fantasy. I still believe he's extremely dependent on those he's comfortable throwing to. I suppose they can always call Branch and pull him back in off the couch to fill this void if he struggles. I guess maybe the theory is Gronk/Hern will make him comfortable and the rest will benefit as a result. Hell, who knows, maybe Edelman would fill that role in which case he wouldn't even necessarily have to have a breakout year to make the Offense better. I said it before and I'll say it again, the only gifted WR I've ever seen excel in NE when brought in was Moss and keep in mind that he was able to do that with Brady using Welker as a security blanket who coincidently replaced Branch when he went out to Seattle. So yes, can someone actually fill that void left vacated by Brady's little clique? Yes, it's been done before but it's a TALL order to ask of anyone regardless their talent level. Additionally, I've not been overly impressed by their offensive line last year and it's a good damn thing Brady's got a quick release or they'd have ate him alive last year in the games I got to watch.

That said, I understand they're rebuilding and I don't think they've found the right cogs yet. Talib helped them quite a bit last season as I recall but their other picks have been less than impressive as a general rule. *IF* they bolster their defense greatly they'll have much more time for Brady to build up some chemistry with his Receivers. Add a little talent on the OL and he'll have a little extra time and comfort to do so. Hopefully Stevan won't be looking over his shoulder after that blow in the playoffs last year and NE will have a decent running game still. Vereen sucks. Woodhead (RB version of Rudy) always made me giggle gleefully, especially when successful but they ferried him out as well.

In any event, you're right. I can't see them losing in that division as it's like a high school division outside of NE (Carbon copy of the AFC West division gimpness basically). *MAYBE* if Miami continues to improve they might give them a little competition for the division winner but even that's a bit of a longshot even with the wheels beginning to fall off. I can't possibly see Buffalo becoming anything of a threat unless they pick up Geno or Barkley and they miraculously turn out to be this years version of one of last year's rookie successes which I find about as likely as me winning the lottery. That said, I don't think that'll be enough to keep Talib in check. Last season, NE was in it til the very last week for that week 1 bye. To me, I suspect that's the likely reason for Talib's good behavior but the cynicism might be showing through here. If things go as I suspect and they don't do as well as they did last season we may very well see before the year's out.

In the end I just look at it as cyclical. I expect this year to be the dip in NE's trendline. They are due after all but their general decisions seem to be solid. Once polished I suspect they'll be back up on top of the heap for at least one more superbowl.

I'm really most interested in what comes after Brady steps down though. Mallet looked more solid than I expected to see him when they brought him in last year. I didn't think he'd manage reading defenses very well but he seemed to be doing so quite decently. With his intangibles and if he continues to grow as he did in college they might very well continue that dynasty up there but we'll have to see.

Barring a Brady injury, I don't think you ever see Mallett take a meaningful snap in New England. He was drafted to be groomed and ultimately traded for a higher pick (while being Brady's backup). They've got Mike Kafka around, who's a competent backup; if some team offers a 2nd rounder for Mallett on Thursday, he'll be gone.

But, the plan is for Brady to lead the way for another five years. Mallett will be long gone, one way or another, before we get to that point.

And, Vereen doesn't suck. Vereen's the reason that they let Woodhead go. You've got to love Woody, but also acknowledge that he was only so good and really couldn't get any better.

Drafting, New England sucked for about three years but the last few drafts have been absolutely outstanding.

I'd be shocked if Brady makes it another 5 years honestly. I think they'd like to think it'll happen but I don't think they're foolish enough to count on it. And honestly, I don't believe Kafka can get it done. He's lousy. He's always been lousy. He'll always be lousy. Honestly I wouldn't have been surprised had Brady bested Eli in the Super Bowl if he had retired. I honestly believe he's in it for one more ring so maybe 2 years, 3 at best. I still think 5 years is overly wishful thinking. And to be fair, NE has drafted like one QB before the 3rd round basically ever? They allegedly thought Mallett was the best QB in the draft a few years ago and they got him for next to nothing. Unless they've lost faith in him why ditch him for chump change?

And no, Vereen is god awful. I'd rather have Shonn Greene ffs and he's from the pit of abysmal stench none as the Jets...

Also, unless you're banking on some rookie coming in and blowing the doors off behind center... Why in god's name would you not be grooming your replacement now like in the old days. That is, after all, kind of Belicheck's mentality is it not?

What's the over/under that Revis holds out in 2014 training camp for a new deal with guaranteed cash from Tampa? I was a fan of Revis but not his contract antics and distractions. He wanted to get paid quarterback money when the Jets 2013 plan is David Garrard. Just glad I won't have to see another awful Revis commercial about "Revis Island" from Dicks Sporting Goods. Now if we could just get rid of our fat **** of a coach with his sweater vests, foot fetishes, poor taste in tattoos, his inability to evaluate NFL-caliber quarterbacks, and his penchant for drafting defensive lineman who disappear in the 1st round then we'd be in much better shape. Revis wasn't the problem but he was definitely a symptom of the dysfunction. Week 1 should be interesting - there was really zero interest in watching those two teams play before.

They did pick up Cliff Harris though...and you better get know him. He's your favorite player and you don't even know it.

someone tell accid that you don't get points for the most words....

But apparently, you get a medal just for trying your best.

specialolympics2.jpg

You know, I was about to make a remark about how Hoppy Accidic's recent posts had become, when apparently my mere thoughts summoned Hoppy himself up.

And lo and behold, Hoppy brought out a relevant post?

Is that one of the seven signs?

Should I be worried?

You know, I was about to make a remark about how Hoppy Accidic's recent posts had become, when apparently my mere thoughts summoned Hoppy himself up.

Should I be worried?

Hope you got your bomb shelter

stratslinger said:

Should I be worried?

Dude, I was bashing the length of accidic's posts like 15 pages ago. Get with the times, man.

Back