Recycle Bombers into Drinking Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

509inc

Reaction score
Todays project was recycling bombers into drinking glasses. I just got a bottle cutter in the mail the day before. I started with 11 bottles and ended up with 6 glasses.

What do you think?

ForumRunner_20130421_190716.jpg

ForumRunner_20130421_190737.jpg

ForumRunner_20130421_190800.jpg

ForumRunner_20130421_190814.jpg

The edges are smooth as silk. I used coarse, medium and fine emory cloths and a lot of elbow grease to smooth them out.

I hope there's more you havent posted yet.

Yeah I left out the pics of dunking them in boiling then cold water to get them to separate Also left out pics of me smoothing out the edges.

pretty cool idea especially knowing you were able to smooth the edges. will they hold a whole 12oz beer now?

Todays project was recycling bombers into drinking glasses. I just got a bottle cutter in the mail the day before. I started with 11 bottles and ended up with 6 glasses.

What do you think?

Sorry but I think the idea is not a great one and from the pictures I think you have failed to make drinking glasses that I would be game to use.
Try turning then into lava lamps or something.

pretty cool idea especially knowing you were able to smooth the edges. will they hold a whole 12oz beer now?

Yeah they hold much more that 12oz. I tried to make them as tall as possible.

Sorry but I think the idea is not a great one and from the pictures I think you have failed to make drinking glasses that I would be game to use.
Try turning then into lava lamps or something.

Good thing I didn't make them for you. This was just something I wanted to do to get rid of some of the painted label bottles I had around the house. If the cuts or straight or curvy, it make no difference to me. The edges are smooth as silk and I think these are cool as ****.

However practice makes perfect and my next batch will look more pleasing to the eye.

heres a video on how to make a perfect cut

bottle cutting

Dude where were you yesterday? The instructions that came with my bottle cutter suggested dunking the bottle to the score in alternating hot and cold water. Took an hour to get 6 what I consider usable glasses and to break 5 other bottles in various ways.

I've done a few of these using the exact same cutter. I found that straight cuts come from a single score (I.e., don't go back &forth, and stop once you've scored the entire circumference.)

I've done a few of these using the exact same cutter. I found that straight cuts come from a single score (I.e., don't go back &forth, and stop once you've scored the entire circumference.)

The is what I experienced as well. Unfortunately I scored the hell out of most of them.

The is what I experienced as well. Unfortunately I scored the hell out of most of them.

Trick to cutting glass smoothly is to score only once, anything else just makes a mess.. You are not cutting the glass with the cutter, you are creating a fault for it to break along.

My club bought a cheap glass cutter. I have played with it a bit. If careful you can make cool glasses easily.
Our process was to score with the cutter, rotate scored edge over a candle and then immediately rotate under cold faucet water. Pulls apart easily as long as your score line is good.

Back