What makes beer taste like cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapy45

Reaction score
My Dad recently started a Munton's Canadian style, pre-hopped extract kit. He was convinced they did not provided enough yeast, so he substituted bread yeast, saying "that's what your grandparents always used." He also added granulated sugar (I don't know how much). AND, he didn't take hydrometer readings. It tastes like cider. Any suggestions?

Don't bo it that way again?

There is so much available to the home brewer now a days the "ways of the old days" can be filed away as memories.

What was the fermentation temp?

Gary

GASoline71 said:
Don't bo it that way again?

There is so much available to the home brewer now a days the "ways of the old days" can be filed away as memories.

What was the fermentation temp?

Gary

Usually around 72F.

Poor yeast and high amount of simple sugars.

With the quality yeasts available these days, you don't get the 'cider' flavors that used to be associated with addition of high amounts of simple sugars.

Fortunately, with the quality ingredients available to us today, we make better beer than our Grandparents ever did.

For my own beers, I'm taking a different approach. I bought a Brewer's Best equipment kit (containing two 6.5 gal buckets and a 5 gal carboy) and now I'm buying BB ingredient kits. And instead of improvising, I'm trying to FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. My first batch was bottled Saturday (4-06-13) and although it didn't taste good (yet) it did taste like beer.

Yes. I agree with you (and the Brewer's Best instructions). My first batch was racked to secondary after one week in the primary. Then bottled after one week in the secondary. Although the last two hydrometer readings were identical, and safe two bottle, the beer was still a bit cloudy when bottled. Future batches will spend two weeks in the secondary.

Back