Tool!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get it.
Rollings Stones are banking off nostalgia and Kidd Rock is making little to zero profits on live shows.

Have you ever played a show at a "pay to play" venue? That basically is what all shows are. You must sell a certain amount of tickets to cover the cost of the venue including security.

I dont know. I stay away from shows. I'll spend all my money on $8 beers.

Still don't see how any of this had to do with TOOL I mean the last time I saw them it was like 60 or 70 bucks before all the bull**** fees and taxes. I think that's a great deal considering their incredible production on stage. I pay the same if not more to see 311 or system and deftones and all they give u is a picture at the back of the stage All of which are great shows but they are all in it for the money. ALL of THEM!

Anyway how did this turn into a TOOL bashing money game u don't like their music or u do. What else is there?

All bands that "make it" are in it for money, so that they can make music all they want without day jobs. Otherwise they would play in their buddy's basement forevera nd we would never hear about them.

cheezydemon3 said:
All bands that "make it" are in it for money, so that they can make music all they want without day jobs. Otherwise they would play in their buddy's basement forevera nd we would never hear about them.

Not just for the money, but also all the split tail you can shake a stick at!

:off: I didn't read every post and am a little drunk, but I had a crush on a girl in high school that loved Tool. And not mine. Probably the only reason I know who they are.

Tool is one of those bands i don't usually go a day without listening to at least one track; can't wait for their new album!

one of my favorites. did anyone snag the opiate re issue released not long ago? they wanted a pretty penny for it, cant remember exactly how much.

Ya I grabbed 1 copy of the reissue. Defiantly something special a lot of cool stuff in it and singed by the whole band with a certificate of authenticity. Wish I could have afforded more but it was a pretty penny but well worth it

Ya I grabbed 1 copy of the reissue. Defiantly something special a lot of cool stuff in it and singed by the whole band with a certificate of authenticity. Wish I could have afforded more but it was a pretty penny but well worth it

LOL, No, really?

I just think it's funny. What's the problem? You have a thread titled Tool, I am commenting on it. Is there some sort of rule that I can't comment on your thread. Sorry if I have offended your God.

As stated we went through it and there isn't much to debate.

Fine you want it? I love ALL music. Josh Ritter is my current man-crush with his soft voice and unpredictable flashes of unreal originality (see The Curse a WALTZ about a freaking mummy....he pulls it off with EASE)

I mention this only because it shows a sharp contrast to TOOL. Just a bit about me....NOW:

If you just don't like harder edge stuff, this is your only respectable out. FINE. Why are you still here?

If you are merely a hater who likes their hard core UNORIGINAL and spoon fed, you are among your betters. Get TF out before the Alpha males disembowel you.

I put Jack White in much the same boat as TOOL. Painfully original and unafraid of that hard edge, but with a DEEP understanding of contrasts and dynamics.

Naysay either one and we will cross swords.

How such unparalelled originality can be confused with simple "GREED" (see lady gaga, pink, etc.) The road to riches is SO much easier than the road to forging your own genre through mountains of hookers with dicks like yourself.

If your post made any sense I'd respond in a similar fashion.

To sum, I think Tool is a great band, been listening to them since the 90's. I've seen them live several times and have nothing to say negatively about their music.

I don't feel the same way about the way they connect with their fans. If this offends you, well I don't know what to say. Keep throwing your money at these guys, I'll keep listening to them too.

As stated we went through it and there isn't much to debate.

Fine you want it? I love ALL music. Josh Ritter is my current man-crush with his soft voice and unpredictable flashes of unreal originality (see The Curse a WALTZ about a freaking mummy....he pulls it off with EASE)

I mention this only because it shows a sharp contrast to TOOL. Just a bit about me....NOW:

If you just don't like harder edge stuff, this is your only respectable out. FINE. Why are you still here?

If you are merely a hater who likes their hard core UNORIGINAL and spoon fed, you are among your betters. Get TF out before the Alpha males disembowel you.

I put Jack White in much the same boat as TOOL. Painfully original and unafraid of that hard edge, but with a DEEP understanding of contrasts and dynamics.

Naysay either one and we will cross swords.

How such unparalelled originality can be confused with simple "GREED" (see lady gaga, pink, etc.) The road to riches is SO much easier than the road to forging your own genre through mountains of hookers with dicks like yourself.

Believe me everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just saying that all rock rap pop country stars are in it for the money. Some more than others but its still a job. The more u get the more u want its human nature. At least they are not starting a fund for Haiti and then stealing all the money. That's greed releasing stuff for your fans to buy if they want to or not is not quite greed. No problem with your opinion. Not mad. I just don't see it like that

Believe me everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just saying that all rock rap pop country stars are in it for the money. Some more than others but its still a job. The more u get the more u want its human nature. At least they are not starting a fund for Haiti and then stealing all the money. That's greed releasing stuff for your fans to buy if they want to or not is not quite greed. No problem with your opinion. Not mad. I just don't see it like that

Fair enough, didn't mean to **** on your thread.

Sorry, I misunderstood your point.

What is an example of a band that you respect?

I gave an example: Kid Rock. While I am not a fan of his music, I appreciate his ethics. In my opinion, having the ability to make millions off the masses doesn't mean you have to make as much as possible. You can give something back, it doesn't have to be about making as much as possible all the time. I know it's the status quo, but it doesn't have to be.

hunter_la5 said:
The "Salival" version of Push,it is one of my favorite songs of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGbel0NZpXo

That, and every track on "Lateralus"....

Love that version. I was lucky to see It live during the lateralus tours. Also I think lateralus is their best work as a whole though all their songs are untouchable lateralus is so easy to listen to begging to end.

Great band... the songwriting is really beyond anything that any other major act is doing, their use of dissonance unparalleled (which does help explain why they're so polarizing).

That being said, my favorite song is probably the much tamer "Sober".

Enjoy Tool during certain circumstances, usually when trying to get something done in the garage.. I stopped loving "bands" a long time ago.. Way too much music out there to become obsessed with a particular band or genre for me. I pretty much really enjoy all forms of music, though I will be honest, the last music I paid for was Tom Waits Mule Variations in 1999..

Yea hard to pick just but i have been listening to more pusifer lately. I think 46&2 gets the mosts plays on my list though. It really gets into my head on the long runs. There's certain aspects I find absolutely inspiring when I'm questioning myself.

It's definitely my go to after 20 and it really kicks my pace back up. For me running is very similar to Jung's theory in that I am chasing/running from my shadow. Literally when the sun shifts and figuratively. I love the guitar riff intro and then "shedding skin, Ive been picking (I think of all the sweat and pain I put the former self through).... I've been down, diggin through, my old muscles for a clue ( Ive put my legs, feet, back, to the test)

I love the metamorphisis and the cleansing of my insecure delusions. Running is 5% physical and 95% psychological. (IMO) I change the part about 46&2 to 26&2 just ahead of me! I know whos a TOOL fan cause I start singing and the TOOL fans smile ear to ear and pick up the pace with me.

Thnking of the evolution of self and the oneness of universe and running seem a parallel to me.

GOD DAMMIT, lol.

I can't say anything nice. Tool created their own genre. They are an incredibly vital and important band. Nuff said.

Looks like we got some TOOLS out there LOVE it
I could talk about TOOL forever and never get tired of it also I will listen to TOOL music forever and never get tired of it who else can u say that about!

Fan. Haven't seen a show in more than ten years, but saw them in the 90's and around 2001. I'm a fan of everything they have released.

How such unparalelled originality can be confused with simple "GREED" (see lady gaga) The road to riches is SO much easier than the road to forging your own genre through mountains of hookers with dicks like yourself.

whoa whoa whoa, lets ease on the brakes there a bit.. Lady Gaga is not your average "pop star".. if anything I'd compare her to a modern popish Alice Cooper and David Bowie before i'd throw her in with Pink or even worse the troll doll Nicki Minaj (sp?)

and she didn't just fall into stardom with her first song, she worked her way up the traditional way; and it's that reason i give her mad props...along with that she actually has a great voice and can actually write her own music.

and greed; she actually caused amazon's website to crash when her latest album came out and she had them sell it for $1 ....

:off:

whoa whoa whoa, lets ease on the brakes there a bit.. Lady Gaga is not your average "pop star".. if anything I'd compare her to a modern popish Alice Cooper and David Bowie before i'd throw her in with Pink or even worse the troll doll Nicki Minaj (sp?)

and she didn't just fall into stardom with her first song, she worked her way up the traditional way; and it's that reason i give her mad props...along with that she actually has a great voice and can actually write her own music.

and greed; she actually caused amazon's website to crash when her latest album came out and she had them sell it for $1 ....

:off:

Have to agree. Don't personally like her music myself, but I have to give her respect as a musician and especially a businessperson. She is wholly responsible for her own success, and I just can't fault her for that.

I consider TOOL to be the most musically talented band in existence. Guitar, bass drums, vocals, lyrics and the entire musical compositions are simply 2nd to none.

That said, it's easy to understand why they aren't more popular: they just aren't as musically accessible as most bands. Their songs are in complex time signatures and have unusual compositional structures and phrasing. Extreme variations in tonality and dynamics along with lyrics that are often very uncomfortable to think about makes for less popularity among mainstteam fans.

Most importantly, in order to truly appreciate the music, a lot is required of the listener. Most people listen to music as background noise while they're engaged in something else and usually on a cheap sound system from mp3's. TOOL music doesn't come across that way. You must really pay attention while listening with no distractions and have a decent music player with a high quality source. IMO, the album 10,000 Days is worthless unless you can listen to it from begining to end at a relatively loud volume with no interuptions. Most people are unwilling or unable to invest that much effort.

My $0.02.

Latest posts

Back