Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
delvorak said:
While I agree it's beautiful, how did you make a blueberry mead that isn't blue /purple?

I didnt mash the blueberries, I only frozen them and thaw them right before add them in the carboy.

I probably didnt get many flavors of the berries but the taste test was very good :)

image-873517911.jpg

Brother and I prepared our first batches of mead in October, a traditional (racked once), and a JAOM (never racked):

Bs9jZCR.jpg
Hg6szUX.jpg

Both turned out delicious! We bottled around 2 weeks ago.

C3iZtKE.jpg

Enjoying a glass of Joe's Quick Grape Mead, a concord pyment, which was started on 1/6/13. I used Kirkland brand 100% concord and raw wildflower honey. Easy, simple and delicious!

ForumRunner_20130413_190035.png

How did you add the prickly pear and how much? it sounds great.

About 7 pounds freshly picked, spines scraped off, chopped (roughly quartered), and frozen.

Thawed, and added to two 1-gallon paint strainer bags (tied off with dental floss) into the primary bucket near the end of primary fermentation. Let it sit for a month, then removed.

It's a four gallon batch, so I racked to a 3-gallon carboy and 1-gallon jug.

From left to right:

Front: Bochet Cyser, Cherrywood Smoked Braggot, Amber Braggot, Joe's Quick Grape
Middle: Meadowfoam, Vanilla Tea Meadowfoam, JAOM, Apple "Ice" Wine
Back: Skeeter Pee.

ForumRunner_20130416_082514.jpg

TheWeeb said:
I'd like to source those bottles, where did you get them?

They are from a portuguese rosé wine faisão. Me and my father in law drank some bottles last summer after I started my meads. They are 750ml bottles

I didnt mash the blueberries, I only frozen them and thaw them right before add them in the carboy.

I probably didnt get many flavors of the berries but the taste test was very good :)

I will post a picture of my blueberry melomel as soon as I get time I used a gallon of unpasteurized blueberry juice(brought it up to 170 for a half hour) I bought at the store with top up water it came to two gallons fermenting, four liters bottled.

Just bottled some strawberry mead! 6 months old, clover honey, 18-20%. Strawberry flavoured rocket fuel at the moment :)

image-624604460.jpg

2011 strapleberry cyser an apple strawberry mead. Lots of strawberry and apple on the nose, a bit hot smelling with hints of Carmel. Smooth on the tongue, slight acid, honey is a hind note with Carmely strawberry dominating the palate. This mead was not pleasant for the first two years, now however this has got to be in the top two meads I've ever had.

image-3280345396.jpg

Well, this is my cranberry mead...
I strove for a clear mead, and well I did get clear mead, but I've lost all color!
For the one gallon I had 24oz of cranberries, 2.75 lb of clover honey, 71B yeast fermented dry and backsweetened with 2 oz of honey. I cold conditioned for 3 weeks prior to bottling.

cranberry mead.jpg

cranberry mead 2.jpg

Just added Dragon fruit to secondary. Hopefully me trying to get enough flavour wont mean its to dark.
The rewarewa mead I put in seems strong. never tried mead before but I assumed honey flavour wouldnt be so strong after some comments I have read. Not sure how to back sweeten for fear of adding any more honey taste. Worry about that once my plain batch is ready.

WP_20130418_004.jpg

My first Mead! Pomegranate Acai, added a half gallon each of pom juice and "sambazon" acai puree smoothie in secondary. OG at 1.114, Finished quite dry at 1.000. Prickly pear or dragon fruit mead sounds awesome! I may make a batch of that next, we will see if my dragon fruit cactus bears well this year, or I can find some prickly pear at the farmer's market.
8663877503_27003f0486_b.jpg

waxer said:
Just added Dragon fruit to secondary. Hopefully me trying to get enough flavour wont mean its to dark.
The rewarewa mead I put in seems strong. never tried mead before but I assumed honey flavour wouldnt be so strong after some comments I have read. Not sure how to back sweeten for fear of adding any more honey taste. Worry about that once my plain batch is ready.

I think you'll be fine. From what I've experienced just eating Dragonfruit, it's pretty bland.

I'm making my first batch now. A nice plain wildflower mead. I also added approximately a cup of bee pollen. It'll add a bit more taste, and the yeast can feed off of the nutrients in it. Sort of a traditional/full hive-esque type. I've done a fair bit of research haha. :p

Personally I think it boils down to honey quality. With cheaper, lower quality honey, I could see the flavours being weaker. I've had plain mead, semi-sweet, sweet, and a dessert type. For my taste, the sweet and dessert types are delicious. I could drink it all day!

What I've read for back sweetening, adding a cup of honey to a five gallon batch will get you a sweet mead. But it's also to taste. Add it in, in small amounts, tasting it as you've mixed it in well enough, and do that until you've reached your own personally desired level of sweetness. Hope this helps a bit!

Yeah will give it a go cheers.

Last 3 parts of my rewarewa mead now in 5l batches.
Feijoa, traditional oaked and Blackberry plus a bunch of top up bottles once I rack the fruit off in a week or so.

Need to go grab some more rewarewa this week to backsweeten with.

meads.jpg

Started my first meads this past Saturday. Far left is Joe's Ancient Orange mead recipe. Front right is a mixed berry mead that I put together. Blueberry, Blackberry, Raspberry and Strawberry. I'm excited to finally have them going.

wine4-20-13_zps476c8091.jpg

Finaly got my mead photos from my wife. This mead is a 10+ month old blueberry melomel.

2013-04-22_14.31.07.jpg

2013-04-22_14.25.59.jpg

My first Mead! Pomegranate Acai, added a half gallon each of pom juice and "sambazon" acai puree smoothie in secondary. OG at 1.114, Finished quite dry at 1.000. Prickly pear or dragon fruit mead sounds awesome! I may make a batch of that next, we will see if my dragon fruit cactus bears well this year, or I can find some prickly pear at the farmer's market.

The color is gorgeous! Makes me thirsty just looking at it. :mug:

I have been really lazy about racking and bottling lately. Most of these have been untouched for 6 months.

Have 2 Joe's grape pyments made in September already backsweetened, one JAOM already racked, JAOM with raspberry, blackberry JAOM -orange, and some strawberry nead that used the juice left over after a sampden soak with D47.

Need to rack 3 of these and bottle the other 3.

7cd60d54aca611e293fe22000a1fcb64_7.jpg

I also have 5 gallons of D47 strawberry mead I need to back sweeten and bulk age. About to make some blueberry mead also.

Where did you get your birch sap!? I've been looking for a decent amount for a long while now. Ive even debated just going out and tapping trees next year. But I dont own any trees. I'll post some mead pics later to make up for this post.

Plenty of birch here in Sweden (I can see three very tall ones from my window where I sit), my old man tapped them so I don't really know where though..

Left to right, blood orange passion fruit, concord pyment and prickly pear lime. The prickly pear looks murky, but all the other bottles(green glass, unfortunately) are crystal clear, bright gorgeous pink. All off these already taste fantastic, the concord is 18%, the other two are 14%. These were bottled today, all 3-6 months old. Can't wait for a year to go by!!

image-3943213817.jpg

Onihige said:
They sell syrup, not sap. Would still make an intresting mead though.

Just saves you from having to convert it. You'd have to boil the sap down to remove the water they just do it for you.

Just saves you from having to convert it. You'd have to boil the sap down to remove the water they just do it for you.

Again, we're talking about different things. My mead's a birch sap mead, not a birch syrup mead.

Just birch sap, honey and yeast.

Onihige said:
Again, we're talking about different things. My mead's a birch sap mead, not a birch syrup mead.

Just birch sap, honey and yeast.

Oh yeah I understand, but for most of us we can't get the sap so a syrup has to be used instead. Which is just the sap with the h2o removed. And you could replace a large portion Of the honey with the birch syrup.

"What do meads taste like?"

Simple question, difficult answer, and not really related to this thread.

Mead is wine made from honey, so it tastes like honey wine.

The thing is, mead is an open canvas of flavor. Ken Schramm's Compleat Mead Maker is a terrific read. You should also visit gotmead.com and peruse the newbie guide.

Spices, fruits, varietal honeys, yeasts, age, oak, temperature... so many things affect flavor...it's like describing what chicken tastes like.

It's wine. To me, it's delicious. It's also a rewarding hobby.

I really hope more and more people get into making it. I want to see mead become mainstream and respected like grape wine. If you have a meadery nearby, support them!

What Zaffo said! The possibilities are immense. For example, I recently experimented with a simple mead but using the Bavarian Weihenstephan hefe yeast strain to ferment. Amazing, nice banana clove much like the beer version and gluten free. Welcome to the world of Meadmaking!

Back