Great Summer Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenomaniac

Reaction score
I'm about 2 weeks in on finishing carbonating a Texas Kolsh and I have 1 week left of fermentation on a Honey Hibiscus Wit before I can bottle it. I want to make another brew but can't come up with any ideas. Any suggestions?

What I have lined up for the summer:
Wit, lemon wheat (with 3711 yeast), blonde rye, skeeter pee. Then I also have stouts tripels and quads available to drink.

I really like blending a bottle of wit or wheat with a bottle of skeeter pee. I want to come up with a way of reliably blending them and bottling them, without artificial sweeteners. Ultimate summer brew right there!

I have a Belgian wit that's been in the bottles a little over a week, I can tell it's going to be great when I try it this weekend.
RIS's are good anytime! :p

My buddy and I are planning a cream ale for the big brew day... its a lot like a coors light or bud light but with better body/mouth feel... we stick to a more "traditional"view and dont use vanilla to get a "cream soda"flavor... if interested I can post our recipe we will be using...

My buddy and I are planning a cream ale for the big brew day... its a lot like a coors light or bud light but with better body/mouth feel... we stick to a more "traditional"view and dont use vanilla to get a "cream soda"flavor... if interested I can post our recipe we will be using...

I'm interested in seeing it

Spotted cow from new glarus is really good, there's a nice clone recipe on here.

Another good one is cream of three crops

we called ours Ghost of a cream ale, mainly cause I could only find ag recipes for it and we live in casper, wy... we have not tried this years recipe but last years was fantastic and the bud light drinkers loved it... est. Ibu 20

6lbs midwest pilsen lme 3lovibond
1lbs flaked corn
1/2 lb rice solids (add abv lighten body)

50min 1/2oz new zealand pacifica 5.2aau
8min .4oz el dorado 15, 3aau & .5oz nz pacifica
5min irish moss

We are trying the white labs cream ale yeast this time...

Steep the flaked corn for 30-45 min at about 150-160 (I think we ended up just throwing them in when we started the burner then gave them about 15min in the 150-160 range then took them out just as the boil started... do the rest as normal...

Last years recipe is as follows: est. Ibu 17.7
5lbs pilsen
1lbs flaked corn
1lbs rice solids

45min .75oz hallertauer 3.2aau
30min .75oz hallertauer
10min .5oz hallertaur

Wyeast kolsch activator pack yeast

Im seriously contemplating grabbing 1gal o this when we go to secondary to try it with some dry hopped habaneros... if its got the citrus nose I think/hope it does it should pair with the habaneros pretty well...

BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde Ale has great reviews as a summer beer. My batch will be bottled tomorrow. :)

Agreed. I'd been seeing people rave about the Cent Blonde for years and never actually brewed it because it just seemed kind of boring (for my extravagant tastes). More like delicious, refreshing, and a fantastic crowd pleaser.
Super easy to slightly modify the grain bill, yeast, and hops to what you have on hand as well. The last one I made had a little honey malt and I thought that was a nice addition.

My focus this summer will be my usual wits, although I have a raspberry wit just bottled, blonde ales that will be tinkered with, and now a session light siason.

The siason is new and I'm trying that 3711 yeast that everyone raves about. The tricky part is finding the right amount of grain. That 3711 will take the beer down to the 1.000-1.005 range which is new to me. You can't have an OG too high if the bottom is gonna fall out and make a higher ABV beer. Right now I'm thinking 7lbs total grain for a 5.5 gallon batch.

Am finishing a Brown Ale now, and have a keg of Belgian Tripel also on the go. For the summer we have a Cascade Dry Hopped APA kegged and waiting. There is a Saison with orange peel in the carboy and I am making a Citra IPA on the weekend. That should hold me till Sept. - ish ... I hope....

Back