How many kegs should I aim to tap at once?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Setesh

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all. I have been bottling for a long time and decided to finally get into kegging. I just got so tired of the 2 hour process for bottling. I purchased a 14.8cf freezer off CL and it will hold 8 kegs in the floor and a Co2 bottle with no problem. I have 8 kegs now and will pick up some more when I find more on CL for cheap. I think I have most of it figured out through reading the forums, but two things are stumping me:

1. How many of those 8 Kegs do I wan't to have gas lines to? Is there a reason not to plumb it so that all 8 work since I can just shut off the valves to the ones that don't have a keg on them? If I wanted to make a lager (only done ales to this point) the same would be true, just shut off the extra lines.

2. Since I could have a maximum of 8 kegs active, would a distribution block alone be OK or should I look at regulating some of the lines individually. It seems like with a distribution block alone even if I carbed in keg with priming sugar my PA, Hefe, and stout would all eventually even out to have the same carbonation level once they were attached to the Co2 tank. Is this correct? If so, do you find this to be a problem? It seems most people just set it to 10psi and forget it

I swear I have been reading for days and either I haven't come across the answers or I'm so overwhelmed with information that I didn't know it when I saw it. I really appreciate the help! :mug:

For background, I am the only beer drinker in the house and I have 2-3 glasses on a normal day. I do have friends help me occasionally on the weekends but for the most part it is just me doing the quaffing. With about 50 beers to a Keg that puts me going through a keg (if I only had one tapped) every 20 days or so.

I have CO2 ran to all of my kegs in my freezer, but only have 3 taps. Having them gassed up wont cause any problems. I usually put on tap my IPA and Pale Ale's that if you let sit too long, the hop profile's will fade and then I have something more malty on my 3rd tap.
Really, it is all personal preference and how much beer you go through at a given time. I usually go through a keg in about 6 weeks or so. Some last longer.

**Your miles may vary.**

Definitely interested in the answers to this one, as I'm in a similar boat. Working to squeeze a 6 tap kegerator into my kitchen, and trying to decide what to do with the lines. My initial thinking is to get 3 secondary regulators with a 2-way splitter on each. That gives me 3 different pressures, 2 kegs low for stouts, 2 kegs high for saisons and lagers(?) and 2 in the middle range for everything else. I think you're right, that even if you prime with sugar, everything will eventually even out if they're all hanging off the same regulator.

As for your first question, I think you can run gas to as many kegs as you want to be able to drink from at any given time. Are you going to run 8 taps as well, or are you planning to swap lines around to whatever you want to drink?

I have four tapped, but i have eight carb lines. That way when you kick one, you have one charged and waiting to be tapped - no waiting.

As you can see in my signature line - sometimes I hook up a picnic tap to a couple of more if I want to serve them as well. Six different beers available!

Thanks for the replies!

murrahjm, I'm planning on getting 8 picnic taps and just opening the lid to pour. I may move to a collar and real taps later, but for startup cost (and to keep the cost low enough to appease SWMBO) I will do picnic taps for now.

As you can see in my signature line - sometimes I hook up a picnic tap to a couple of more if I want to serve them as well. Six different beers available!

You have a BIG point there. I'm used to pulling down bottles of whatever I want and chilling them down. I don't want to get bored with my favorites because that's all I have on tap, I want some variety!:rockin:

With 8 kegs you might find yourself eventually wanting to carbonate something other than beer, like cider, skeeter-pee, soda, or even plane water at some point. It's easier and less expensive setting it up in the beginning to be able to do two pressures than it is to "re-tool" later. A dual co2 regulator and two distribution blocks is all you need. I would recommend a 6-way and a 2-way distribution block, but it's really up to you on what you think you may be carbonating in the future.

Yes, the CO2 volume in the kegs will eventually equalize if just using splitters or a dist block. If you want the ability to maintain different carb volumes in each keg, you will need additional regulators, and with that many kegs at once, several secondary regulators being fed by a single primary would be my suggestion.

As far as how many, that's personal preferance. The possibilities are practically endless. You'd probably be fine with four secondaries and a 2-way splitter/tee on each to get you the flexibility you need. I'd probably start there and add more later if I found that it was too limited.

With 8 kegs you might find yourself eventually wanting to carbonate something other than beer, like cider, skeeter-pee, soda, or even plane water at some point. It's easier and less expensive setting it up in the beginning to be able to do two pressures than it is to "re-tool" later. A dual co2 regulator and two distribution blocks is all you need. I would recommend a 6-way and a 2-way distribution block, but it's really up to you on what you think you may be carbonating in the future.

Actually, I plan on making pop for my daughter. She is allergic to most dyes, especially red, but like most kids she loves pop. I figured I could make her some custom pop that is dye free, so there is a good chance at least 1 keg will be just for her.

I have a 4 tap keezer that holds 4. I really wish I had extra room for carbing and conditioning.

If it were me for ease, expense, effectiveness ect.

Id have 4 taps. For the gas side I'd have 2 regulators, one to a 4 way distributor for serving, and one regulator to a 2 way distributor for carbing. That way you could serve 4 and carb 2. or Serve 2, carb 4. Or carb 6. Ect.

Lots of options, and IMO with quick carb(not shaking, never shake) you should have no reason to need to carb 4 at a time. Also, unless you brew a lot more than me(and I brew alot) needing room for carbing 4 would be rare, and in that situation youd prolly have empty taps anyways.

I have 3 taps, room for 4 kegs. I have a dual body regulator, one for dispensing (3 way manifold) and one for carbonating the 4th keg. I can never keep that much beer around though.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I found this:
http://www.kegworks.com/4-way-secondary-air-regulator-polycarbonate-bonnet-427-p176853
I could get that and Y for each reg and have 4 different pressures to 8 kegs. That would be ideal but it would also be pretty darned spendy at about $230 just for the regs and valves. I like how compact that setup would be too, it would fit really well in the hump area of my keezer. I think I will build up to it by getting the 2 way version right now and then buying another one later and connecting screwing them together. That way I can do what Xpertskir suggested for now and quick carb on one side and then serve at 2 different pressures once they are carbed. Thanks again for all the advice, I really appreciate it! :mug:

I ended up finding a 4 way secondary regulator on sale and bit the bullet. I will have a Y on my primary regulator which will run to a single line for carbing or for pop. I will have another Y on one of the 4 way regs for a total of 6 kegs at 5 different pressures. This will give me a lot of flexibility, and if I end up wanting to tap 8 kegs I can always hook up another couple of y adapters or a distribution block to get me there. I think 6 will be enough though since I'll probably have a carboy in there lagering most of the time anyway.

I am fine with all at the same carb.

I like low carbonation on all of my beers. If I want something more carbed, I can shoot it up once in a while, but I am generally not picky.

I ended up finding a 4 way secondary regulator on sale and bit the bullet. I will have a Y on my primary regulator which will run to a single line for carbing or for pop. I will have another Y on one of the 4 way regs for a total of 6 kegs at 5 different pressures. This will give me a lot of flexibility, and if I end up wanting to tap 8 kegs I can always hook up another couple of y adapters or a distribution block to get me there. I think 6 will be enough though since I'll probably have a carboy in there lagering most of the time anyway.

Good deal, I think you'll be happy with that setup. The initial cost will be offset over time by the savings of making your own beer. That's what I tell SWMBO anyways. :ban:

Back