Strange affect from draft beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhathazy

Reaction score
Not sure what is causing this, but every time I drink draft beer at a certain local bar, it seems to really hit me hard! Last night I had three beers and I felt like I had six! My head is still throbbing this morning. I can be at home and drink the same KIND and amount of beer from a bottle and be fine. Anyone else had this experience from draft beer or am I just some kind of strange freak? What makes it even more strange is it seems to happen to me only at this certain bar.

Yeah draft from a commercial keg makes me sick too. Someone told me they put preservative in the keg to keep it fresh.

I don't think it is the volume of the 12 oz vs a 16 oz thing because even at three 16 oz drafts that would only equate to one more bottle of beer. Something must be going on in their lines or kegs at this place that is bothering me. I think I am just going to stick to bottles when I go there from now on.

Yeah draft from a commercial keg makes me sick too. Someone told me they put preservative in the keg to keep it fresh.

That someone would be incorrect. To the contrary, bottled beer is more likely to be messed with since bottles may subjected to some sort of pasteurization process, which is just heat. Kegged beer goes straight from the bright tank to the keg and is rarely even pasteurized.

What makes it even more strange is it seems to happen to me only at this certain bar.

Then it has to be something with that bar's setup or environment. If you can drink draft beer without this problem at other bars, then draft beer is not the problem. If you can drink bottled beer without this happening then it is not beer.

You didn't piss off the waitress did you?

Rinsing the pint glass would be my guess.

A few possibilites.

If they are using bleach water or a chlorine sanitizer you may could be having a sensitivity to that. This could be from not changing the rinse water often enough in their 3rd (rinse) basin ... so a sanitizing solution residue is staying in the pint glass.

A non-chlorine sanitizer ... Quaternary ammonium ... sterimine or sani-tabs is another possibility. Though technically sani-tabs is a no-rinse product, they might be using a concentration that is higher than recommended.
Or you might coincidentally have a sensitivity to that chemical or some other quaternary sanitizing chemical.

Or they might be using a sanitizer product that is not approved for smallwares, glassware etc.

SmokeNbrew said:
You're being Rufi'd bro...never leave your beer unattended around strange women...

Or just tell her you're willing, so she has no need to drop something in your drink.

You didn't piss off the waitress did you?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so, it is usually a guy! Hopefully he isn't trying to "Rufi" me haha!

I have had draft beer at other places that didn't bother me. And I have had it bother me at other places too. Man I got really sick in New Orleans one time.

Based on a few other posts, seems like this does happen to some others so I don't feel as bad. Seems to depend on where you drink and what they have going on in their set up, lack of cleaning, etc. When in doubt drink bottles I guess, or just stay home!

Anybody ever see that Bar Rescue show? I guess you never know what it is like behind the bar!

Dirty lines would be my guess.
There is a popular tap house here in Knoxville that rarely cleans their lines.
I get headaches and the shiz from their beer every time.

As far as feeling drunker, you probably need to account for the food you have consumed.

Have a similar issue with a local brewpub...two beers and the headache is on.

Fun story about preservatives...lived in Indonesia for a while...for the first couple months I kept getting bad headaches from the beer...turns out there was a small amount of formaldehyde in the beer. Guess I can pass on being embalmed when I die now cause I drank a crap load of that stuff!

Back