Noisy ASCO valves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to tell from the video without a frame of reference. I remember Red Hats making noise, but I don't think it was that extreme

Two possibilities, you have placed an AC coil on a DC setup valve, or the piston that lifts is dirty and not making good contact with the stationary slug nut inside the stem. If it was a dc operated version then you are into a rebuild kit for AC which costs more than the Honeywell valve will, > $100 retail. If not then disassemble valve and clean the top surface of the piston and the inside of the stem, then it should be quiet again. Good luck and do not blow your self up with that setup.

Two possibilities, you have placed an AC coil on a DC setup valve, or the piston that lifts is dirty and not making good contact with the stationary slug nut inside the stem. If it was a dc operated version then you are into a rebuild kit for AC which costs more than the Honeywell valve will, > $100 retail. If not then disassemble valve and clean the top surface of the piston and the inside of the stem, then it should be quiet again. Good luck and do not blow your self up with that setup.

Very solid advise.

DC valves will have a breaker piece to prevent residual magnetism from having the core stick in the core tube.

AC valves use a shading coil to prolong the magnetic field when the current (60Hz) drops through zero.

If the shading coil is dirty the valves can buzz and what you are hearing is the core basically vibrating.

If it is a DC valve with an AC body, there isn't a shading coil, and they will buzz as well.

Having the same issue. Two out of three make a bizzare noise when you turn the propane on.

Is there any more info on this topic? I am just about complete with my stand. When I first wired it and tested the units they just clicked. Now that I have everything assembled they buzz. I still have not done a live fire with gas.

*Edit*
I'm using model 8210G94 purchased new.
Voltage: 120v
Flow Capacity (Cv): 4
Body Pattern: 2-Way
Wattage: 10.1
Fluid Temperature Range: 180 F Max
Position: Normally Closed
Flow type: High Flow

Back