American Wheat Beer Sterling Gold (3.5% AG, Light and Zesty)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on brewing up a 5 gallon batch of this soon. After reading through all of these post I haven't seen a firm response on how much grain of paradise to add to a 5 gallon. Is two grams too much? One gram about right? Thoughts from those that have used GOP? Thanks guys...

Brewing up some Centennial Blonde right now. Next week I will be brewing the Sterling Gold! Clearly I love me some BM recipes. Brewing these two beers up to be served at my wedding shower! The masses always love BM's recipes too. Can't go wrong.

I have one question though. One the spices do you usually just toss them in the kettle or do you bag them up in a hopsock or bag first? I tend to not care a whole lot about how much junk ends up in the fermenter because I always leave it for 4+ weeks, but just curious if I should bag up the spices. Only brewed with spices once before and that was awhile back. Thanks for the help! And thanks for all the great recipes, BM!

Brewing up some Centennial Blonde right now. Next week I will be brewing the Sterling Gold! Clearly I love me some BM recipes. Brewing these two beers up to be served at my wedding shower! The masses always love BM's recipes too. Can't go wrong.

I have one question though. One the spices do you usually just toss them in the kettle or do you bag them up in a hopsock or bag first? I tend to not care a whole lot about how much junk ends up in the fermenter because I always leave it for 4+ weeks, but just curious if I should bag up the spices. Only brewed with spices once before and that was awhile back. Thanks for the help! And thanks for all the great recipes, BM!

I always use a five gallon paint strainer bag from Lowe's, suspended in the boilig wort. Like you, I'm not overly concerned about the "stuff" in the fermenter, it's just a lot less of a headache to have it removed and avoid the risk of sucking it into a bottle or keg.

Biermuncher - how important is the rye malt here? This is close to impossible for me to get unless I buy raw rye and malt it myself. Do you see any possible substitutes for the rye malt, or is it vital to the recipe?

Thank you, and another killer recipe from you as one has come to expect!

I don't suggest adding the orange peel or spices without a hop bag. It clogged the pump immediately, lol.

Brewing 15 gallons of this as I write.

So I split 5 gallons of this brew between safale 04, 05 an 06. I don't recommend the 04. Tastes like dirt.

On the plus side, we were able to turn all of it from grain to glass in 7 days, which was nice.

Ok I am using the partial mash found on the first page but I had to substitute a couple things how do you think this will taste:

3.3 Lbs. Pilsen LME
1.5 Lbs. Bohemian Pilsener
1 Lb. Rye Malt.
.5 Lb. Crystal 40
.5 Lb. Cara Pils

1 oz. Saaz.

The black peppercorn spice in the recipe is just the stuff you buy for the pepper grinder right? I hope to be drinking this by next Friday.

Brewed this 3 weeks ago and just cracked one open. Awesome!! First time to brew with bitter orange peel and it turned out great!! Taking this to a crawfish boil on Sunday and thinking it's gonna be perfect.:ban:

Just cracked open a bottle this last night. Only been in bottle for a little over a week, but couldn't wait to try it. Outstanding taste! Even lightly carbed, this is a nice refreshing beer. This would be great for a hot summer day...just don't think it will last long enough for me to test the theory. Thanks for another great one, BM!

Brewed what was supposed to be a 5.5 gallon batch of this on Monday. Not sure what the hell happened but I ended up with a little over 4 gallons into the primary at an OG of 1.052. I knew I was a little short going into the BK, but only about a half gallon which I blamed on the rice hulls (they were mixed in with the grains when I picked up from LHBS, so no pre-soak). Will move it to secondary this weekend and probably add some distilled water to get near 5 gal and around the expected FG.

Aside from that, looking and smelling good. The combination of the bitter orange peel, pepper, and coriander had a very pleasant spicy/citrusy smell that I can't wait to try, especially now that summer is in full swing. Will post in update in a week or two. Thanks for the recipe BM!

Hoping to finally brew this one on my next brew day. A little out of season but I've been trying to get to it for a while. Looking forward to it.

Thinking of making this before I leave for about 5 weeks, My basement is about 63-65 at all times, you think this could live in the primary for 5 or so weeks?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Home Brew mobile app

This sounds like a good brew. Going on the list to brew. BM has never let me down yet with his posted recipes!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Home Brew mobile app

I have a 10 gal batch I made on Mon. This is my 2 time with your beer, but I added 1/2 oz. of Columbus at flame out. I hope it comes out good. This is a very nice and quaffable light beer.

I'm brewing up ten gallons of this tomorrow night so I'll have some homebrew my dad will enjoy drinking with me. I'm having to make a couple of subs: Saaz for the sterling, I'm going to have to make up some IBU's with 3/4 ounce of fuggle since I didn't realize the AA's are so low on the saaz I bought. Also I'm doing one batch with 1056 and one with Denny's favorite. Anxious to see how the Denny's works, I didn't have time to build enough 1056.

I want to do this brew this weekend but I need to substitute some ingredients..just checking what people think..

0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) <--i do BIAB so i think i dont need this. I assume I do not need to adjust anything other than omitting this?
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) <--do not have
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) <--do not have

Will use 1.5lbs of CaraFoam to cover both

Sterling 7.5AA. <-- I wanted to use Saaz which is 3.75AA, do i just double the amount to attain the same IBU??

I brewed this back in February for a birthday party towards the end of March. I inadvertently tossed it on yeast cake of WLP400, which was a BIG hit everyone loved. I had ten pounds of Pilsner that needed used so I scaled everything up and it came out at 6.7%, gotta love when a mistake ends up being a grand slam!!
PS: I didn't have sterling hops, so I used Saaz.

Beer Muncher,

It's been a while since you posted this one, but I wonder what you and everyone thinks about converting this to a 5 gallon batch. Would it be safe to assume going half on all the ingredients, or is there a better way to make the conversion?

It sounds amazing and I'd like to give this one a try this week or next.

Brewing this tomorrow.Not a lot of action here lately.
Any advise on crushing the coriander and peppercorn
Exactly how much fresh orange zest.
Throw those in the hop bag with the hops?

Old post , but looking to try this one after the CB was soooo darn good!
Would Lemon Zest w/pepper work instead of Orange?

Old post , but looking to try this one after the CB was soooo darn good!
Would Lemon Zest w/pepper work instead of Orange?
I wasn't impressed with this one.Granted it was a super light beer,but it wont be in my rotation.Waiting to kill keg to refill with something else

I brewed this back in February for a birthday party towards the end of March. I inadvertently tossed it on yeast cake of WLP400, which was a BIG hit everyone loved. I had ten pounds of Pilsner that needed used so I scaled everything up and it came out at 6.7%, gotta love when a mistake ends up being a grand slam!!
PS: I didn't have sterling hops, so I used Saaz.

Try my mistake, I think you will be surprised how good it is.

Back