Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brauman

Reaction score
Esteemed Members of HBT

I have a question.
So I bottled my beed the other day, transfering the precious gold from fermentor to botteling bucket and priming... With almost a gallon left in the bucket I discovered I didn't have enough bottles... So what I did was transfer the remaining beer into my 2000ml Erlenmeyer flask, filling it up just shy above the 2000ml mark. I put an airstop and a airlock on it and put the flask where I usually store my fermentors.
Here is the question.
Is this primed beer in the Erlenmeyer going to be any good? Will I have to rack it again or could, come 2 weeks of resting time, I drink the beer straight out of the flask. Would one consider this tertiary fementation? Does this even work? Does anyone have a similar experience.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

:tank:

Assuming no oxidation issues...
You'll be fine and have a very slightly higher ABV beer than the first bottled.
Assuming you already had secondary fermentation then this is tertiary fermentation.

I'm betting you'll have beer no better or worse than what went in to the bottles already.

Thanks Halburst.

On that note, would I have to bottle those 2l of beer as well, or are they fine out of the flask. If the beer needs to be bottled would I be priming it again?
Sorry for all these questions...
and thanks for the input

Thanks Halburst.

On that note, would I have to bottle those 2l of beer as well, or are they fine out of the flask. If the beer needs to be bottled would I be priming it again?
Sorry for all these questions...
and thanks for the input

It'll be good, but it will be flat. By priming, and then bottling, the beer undergoes a small fermentation and the co2 is held in the bottle. By airlocking some of the beer, the co2 would blow out the airlock. Which simply means that the beer would be fine, just flat.

If you want to bottle it and have it carbonated, then yes- it needs to be primed.

By "airstop and airlock" were you intending this to be an airtight seal in the theory that this is the equivalent of bottling 2 liters of beer into a really big bottle?

If so and if this is a true airtight seal, I don't know the answer but my intuition tells me that a bigger bottle requires longer time to carbonate. But then my logic says it wouldn't.

As for for simply storing and then recarbonating later, ... what Yooper said... I bottled my first batch of beer in bottles with bad seals and reprimed and rebottled them three weeks later. Now six weeks after the first bottling and three weeks after the second I can drink them and they're pretty good.

Additionally do NOT attempt to carbonate it in the E flask. They are very thin walled and I really suspect that they would not hold up to the pressure. The stopper would most likely pop off if you seal it in the E flask, but yes, you will need to re-prime before you bottle the rest. Or you can always just drink it flat. The priming sugar really will not make a noticeable amount of extra ABV, butby having the extra bit of sugar in there when that ferments out it should reform your CO2 layer which should keep down oxidation.

Back