2013 NHC first round results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can confirm that at least one score sheet coming out of Kansas City did not have the place marked and the beer did indeed place. So there is still hope for people with high scores that do not have placement numbers. Along with that, my score sheet also does not have Mini BOS marked, though I'm not sure if there was a mini BOS for that category (20) in KC.

well hopefully it was mine. lol and mine did go to mini best of show. :ban: doing the happy dance again. may 4th can't come quick enough to find out!

well hopefully it was mine. lol and mine did go to mini best of show. :ban: doing the happy dance again. may 4th can't come quick enough to find out!

It was mine (I received confirmation from the director there), but it's certainly possible that there were others as well.

After seeing all of the other high scores that have been posted I don't even have hope my 41 placed anymore lol

I can confirm that at least one score sheet coming out of Kansas City did not have the place marked and the beer did indeed place.
thank you, you've reinforced my glimmer of hope :mug:

Along with that, my score sheet also does not have Mini BOS marked, though I'm not sure if there was a mini BOS for that category (20) in KC.
i suspect there were enough fruit beers to require a mini-BOS.

After seeing all of the other high scores that have been posted I don't even have hope my 41 placed anymore lol
41 is an amazing score and definitely has a chance to place. that being said, scores don't matter if it comes down to a mini-BOS. in a recent comp i got a 39 but didn't place, while a buddy who got a 32 and barely snuck into the BOS took second place.

...(it did with a silver) and I won a silver at NHC with it.

That is awesome! I'd give my brewing buddy's left nut for an NHC medal.

Awaiting results from St. Paul. Some of the scores being reported in this thread are crazy high! Pretty sure my Black IPA won't be advancing given the scores people got in cat 23.

I got my score sheets back from St Paul today. I entered 4 beers. It was my first comp and my Brown Ale scored a 34.5 and advanced to mini BOS and looks like a 3 was written in the place awarded and maybe erased or written lightly so not sure what that means

Just another reason to hate NY... I was looking at the rules again and it has mid May as a deadline for receiving scoresheets back. Judging by what was said earlier in this thread about the organization of that site, It seems like it may be that long before we get them back too!

Sorry, for the whining... Just hate getting disappointed every day after checking my mailbox...

Hey guys....I have a mini BOS question. As I understand it the top beer from each flight within a category gets placed in a mini BOS. Assuming of course that there are multiple flights. Now who decides how many beers from each flight get sent to the mini BOS or is it always a set amount? When the beers go the mini BOS it is my understanding that they are not "judged" with scoresheets but rather the judges just pick the ones they like the best. That's why a 32 point beer can beat a 42 point beer...they just liked it better? Why don't they fill out scoresheets for the mini BOS? Is it just too time consuming?

Just another reason to hate NY... I was looking at the rules again and it has mid May as a deadline for receiving scoresheets back. Judging by what was said earlier in this thread about the organization of that site, It seems like it may be that long before we get them back too!

Sorry, for the whining... Just hate getting disappointed every day after checking my mailbox...

Wow...I hope we NYC entries find out sooner. I doubt my IPA will move on, but Midmay is going to be pushing things to get this rebrewed!

Hey guys....I have a mini BOS question. As I understand it the top beer from each flight within a category gets placed in a mini BOS. Assuming of course that there are multiple flights. Now who decides how many beers from each flight get sent to the mini BOS or is it always a set amount? When the beers go the mini BOS it is my understanding that they are not "judged" with scoresheets but rather the judges just pick the ones they like the best. That's why a 32 point beer can beat a 42 point beer...they just liked it better? Why don't they fill out scoresheets for the mini BOS? Is it just too time consuming?

Read this, and then if you have more questions let me know:

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/MiniBOS.pdf

Read this
The important part:

Mini-BOS Guidelines​

The judges evaluate the entries anew without regard to (or knowledge of) any score assigned in the initial judging round. Judges should NOT simply use initial scores to assign places without re-judging. Mini-BOS beers are ranked but not scored, although some competitions will direct the judges to subsequently assign scores to the winning entries so that they align with the places awarded. This is not a requirement, however. The key task of the mini-BOS panel is simply to select the winning entries for the category. The designated winners typically receive category medals, and the top entry is typically advanced to the BOS round.

Read this, and then if you have more questions let me know:

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/MiniBOS.pdf

Thanks!! That answers all of my questions. I just wish they would fill out scoresheets for the mini BOS. That would eliminate a lot of the "Why didn't my score of 45 win?" since you could see that in the mini BOS it only scored a 32. Especially since most of us want the objective feedback/critiques.

It is, after all, a mini "BOS", so it would be expected to be run similar to the main BOS. To get there your beer has already been deemed close enough to style that scoring it for such again would be redundant. It's been done and you'll get your score sheets. Personally, I like the mini BOS concept. It takes away some of the, "Can you brew to style," and makes it, "We know you can brew to style, but can you make great beer?"

It is, after all, a mini "BOS", so it would be expected to be run similar to the main BOS. To get there your beer has already been deemed close enough to style that scoring it for such again would be redundant. It's been done and you'll get your score sheets. Personally, I like the mini BOS concept. It takes away some of the, "can you brew to style," and makes it, "we know you can brew to style, but can you make great beer."

I've only judged one mini-BOS but I did enjoy it. We had two flights of APAs and advanced the top two scoring beers from each flight to the mini-BOS. In my flight it was easy, we had a 40 and one in the mid 30's and the rest were other in the 20's or below.

We poured four samples of each beer (4 judges), assessed them, and put our order of finish down. Then we discussed each beer - pros and cons. The first thing we did was to eliminate one, which wasn't too hard to do. Then we determined 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. A beer that I judged as a 40 "only" took 2nd while another beer that the other group had judged as 36 took 1st. Some judges are more generous with their scores and others can pick up off-flavors that some might miss. It very enjoyable to do the mini-BOS and I learned quite bit from it.

Thanks!! That answers all of my questions. I just wish they would fill out scoresheets for the mini BOS. That would eliminate a lot of the "Why didn't my score of 45 win?" since you could see that in the mini BOS it only scored a 32. Especially since most of us want the objective feedback/critiques.

There are no scoresheets for a mini-BOS. Or a BOS, for that matter. They are done in a completely different way than scoring scoresheets.

There are no scoresheets for a mini-BOS. Or a BOS, for that matter. They are done in a completely different way than scoring scoresheets.

I understand. It just seems like usually the BOS judges are higher ranked. Thus I would give more credit to their score/comments than I would a lower ranked/non ranked judge's score/comments.

I understand. It just seems like usually the BOS judges are higher ranked. Thus I would give more credit to their score/comments than I would a lower ranked/non ranked judge's score/comments.

True - but at a certain point, the "best" judges would not have time to fill out that many scoresheets. In a big comp, it is likely that newer/moderately experienced judges will be able to identify the group of "better" beers, and then move them on to be judged side-by-side......
Plus, If one set of beers is judged by judges that "score conservatively" and another set of beers is judged by people that "score liberally" ...... It takes that head-to-head by experienced judges to put them in the same order..... If they also had to fill out another 6-10 scoresheets, it would just become way to cumbersome and time consuming at that point.

True - but at a certain point, the "best" judges would not have time to fill out that many scoresheets. In a big comp, it is likely that newer/moderately experienced judges will be able to identify the group of "better" beers, and then move them on to be judged side-by-side......
Plus, If one set of beers is judged by judges that "score conservatively" and another set of beers is judged by people that "score liberally" ...... It takes that head-to-head by experienced judges to put them in the same order..... If they also had to fill out another 6-10 scoresheets, it would just become way to cumbersome and time consuming at that point.

And, the BOS judges are the same judges that judged the flights. So, if you have a national judge at that table, and a national judge at another table, for the mini-BOS and BOS rounds, they sit together, with other ranking judges, and judge that round.

It's not like some flights had all novices and some flights had all senior BJCP judges- it's a good mix for the entire competition.

Not to derail this thread but maybe I have found the solution to the NHC entry problems. Your beer will only receive a scoresheet IF it advances to a mini BOS or if there is only one flight for your category!! Do we really need judges to fill out scoresheets for dozens of 20 point beers? Talk about cumbersome and time consuming!! The entrant would instead just receive a nice email saying that their beer did not advance. My point is that we should be spending the time picking apart/judging the top beers and NOT the bottom beers. It is a competition first and foremost!!

I had one marked 1st place (judged by Janis Gross who gave it a 42, which is cool!), one marked mini BOS (scored a 36.5), and two others that scored 38 & 40 with nothing marked. Sounds like I have at least one moving on, and I probably ought to rebrew the one that scored a 40 just in case, as a little extra age wouldn't hurt it.

Not to derail this thread but maybe I have found the solution to the NHC entry problems. Your beer will only receive a scoresheet IF it advances to a mini BOS or if there is only one flight for your category!! Do we really need judges to fill out scoresheets for dozens of 20 point beers? Talk about cumbersome and time consuming!! The entrant would instead just receive a nice email saying that their beer did not advance. My point is that we should be spending the time picking apart/judging the top beers and NOT the bottom beers. It is a competition first and foremost!!

I would think that would defeat the purpose of a lot of folks who enter. Sure, everyone wants a medal, but a lot of folks who enter know they aren't going to get one, but are looking for the feedback from those scoresheets to make that 20 pt beer something better. If you entered, and all you ever got back was a "thanks for playing" email with no feedback, how are you going to progress?

I would think that would defeat the purpose of a lot of folks who enter. Sure, everyone wants a medal, but a lot of folks who enter know they aren't going to get one, but are looking for the feedback from those scoresheets to make that 20 pt beer something better. If you entered, and all you ever got back was a "thanks for playing" email with no feedback, how are you going to progress?

Word!

Well, while it's true that it's nice to move on, one of the greatest things about entering a competition is for the feedback.

Let's face it, if my beer scored a 42 like AZ's did (great score!), then much feedback isn't really needed. That's a great score, and perhaps the only comments might be "a tiny bit more carbonation needed in the mouthfeel" or "would like to see a bit more hops aroma". People that score over about 39 really don't need much help.

But the 13-35 scorers can really use the feedback to better themselves as brewers.

One of the things I was taught was that for every 10 points subtracted from a perfect 50, to give the brewer at least one good and concrete suggestion to fix one issue.

For example, if a guy got a 20, I'd give him 3 (or more) solid suggestions on how to fix some flaws. Not "Check sanitation!", but "Since this beer has flavors of bacterial contamination, make sure that everything that touches the beer post-boil is sanitized thoroughly including the bottles and bottling wand" or, "There is a harsh astringent taste in the finish of this beer. This could be from using alkaline water. I would look at water chemistry, and consider using reverse osmosis water for the next batch as well as watch the temperature of the sparge to ensure it doesn't exceed 170 degrees". And so on, to mention all of the flaws that were picked up on and provide some thoughtful help.

Those tips wouldn't help you. But they would help the brewer who had a bacterial contamination and used tap water with too much bicarbonate and scored a 20 with his beer.

I think it's crucial that every one who enters a BJCP competition get back a quality scoresheet.

I had one marked 1st place (judged by Janis Gross who gave it a 42, which is cool!), one marked mini BOS (scored a 36.5), and two others that scored 38 & 40 with nothing marked. Sounds like I have at least one moving on, and I probably ought to rebrew the one that scored a 40 just in case, as a little extra age wouldn't hurt it.

Nice scores man!

I agree....but there are literally dozens of well run BJCP comps across the country. If you are only looking for feedback enter one of those!! They are generally cheaper, faster, and guess what?? Generally speaking the same judges who judge the NHC judge the other BJCP comps. It begs the question.....if you are just looking for feedback why enter the NHC in the first place?

Well, while it's true that it's nice to move on, one of the greatest things about entering a competition is for the feedback.

Let's face it, if my beer scored a 42 like AZ's did (great score!), then much feedback isn't really needed. That's a great score, and perhaps the only comments might be "a tiny bit more carbonation needed in the mouthfeel" or "would like to see a bit more hops aroma". People that score over about 39 really don't need much help.

But the 13-35 scorers can really use the feedback to better themselves as brewers.

One of the things I was taught was that for every 10 points subtracted from a perfect 50, to give the brewer at least one good and concrete suggestion to fix one issue.

For example, if a guy got a 20, I'd give him 3 (or more) solid suggestions on how to fix some flaws. Not "Check sanitation!", but "Since this beer has flavors of bacterial contamination, make sure that everything that touches the beer post-boil is sanitized thoroughly including the bottles and bottling wand" or, "There is a harsh astringent taste in the finish of this beer. This could be from using alkaline water. I would look at water chemistry, and consider using reverse osmosis water for the next batch as well as watch the temperature of the sparge to ensure it doesn't exceed 170 degrees". And so on, to mention all of the flaws that were picked up on and provide some thoughtful help.

Those tips wouldn't help you. But they would help the brewer who had a bacterial contamination and used tap water with too much bicarbonate and scored a 20 with his beer.

I think it's crucial that every one who enters a BJCP competition get back a quality scoresheet.

I wish all judges did this. The best "tips" I've received are "its a great beer but masks the base style too much" for a specialty beer. Everything else would just mention what they don't like, or say its a great arome then only give half possible points with no mention of why points are lost. I think the majority of people who judge are horrible at giving feedback.

I agree....but there are literally dozens of well run BJCP comps across the country. If you are only looking for feedback enter one of those!! They are generally cheaper, faster, and guess what?? Generally speaking the same judges who judge the NHC judge the other BJCP comps. It begs the question.....if you are just looking for feedback why enter the NHC in the first place?

Well, I would say for several reasons. 1.) While yes, there are lots of other BJCP comps, depending on where you live, they might not be any closer than entering the NHC, so if you're having to package and mail anyway, why not send to the best. And judge levels can also vary wildly with more local competitions. 2.) I would think you would have a higher chance with a competition at this level of getting the best and most educated feedback (although I know mileage on this also varies as with anything else). And 3.) Why do people buy lottery tickets? Because you never know, you just might get lucky (when combined with some decent brewing skills). And if I did happen to enter something that pleased enough of the right people at the right time and I got a medal, I would have something to brag on until I died. I'm just sayin. :ban:

It begs the question.....if you are just looking for feedback why enter the NHC in the first place?
I seriously doubt that anyone enters NHC "just looking for feedback." There's always the faint hope that the judges might like your beer. It's not like entering the New York Marathon with a four hour PR thinking you could win. Everyone from the guy brewing with a Mr Beer to the guy with $10,000 invested in equipment can hold out hope that they'll do well. As the format stands, that's the type of competition NHC is. Someday there may be qualifying standards.

2.) I would think you would have a higher chance with a competition at this level of getting the best and most educated feedback (although I know mileage on this also varies as with anything else).

I'm not 100% convinced of this. Any competition where you have to score many hundreds of entries is going to be using a lot of judges who probably aren't particularly qualified. If you figure an average judge pair is going to do maybe 12 entries or so, if you are splitting the competition up over 2 days (as most appear to be doing) then you need ~64 judges each day for first round judging. It is not very easy to wrangle 64 highly qualified judges to show up for 2 days to judge beer in their free time.

The final round is a different story. Judging is done at the National Homebrew Conference, which always has a huge number of very high level judges in attendance from all over the country. Also, it's not two days of judging.

Just got my results from St. Paul - 41 and 1st place marked for my spiced rye saison. Rebrewing this weekend in hopes the sheet is accurate!

Got mine from St. Paul.... American Brown Ale - 3rd place.
Mini BOS for Mild, Scored a 35 on an oldish pilsner... neither moved on.

Disappointed in a Dortmunder that had won at Drunk Monk and IBU Open with 40's in both comps.... scored 24....... Not sure what happened there. Maybe a bad bottle, Maybe I did a bad job filling it..... not sure.

But, happy to get one through and moving on.

I seriously doubt that anyone enters NHC "just looking for feedback." There's always the faint hope that the judges might like your beer. It's not like entering the New York Marathon with a four hour PR thinking you could win. Everyone from the guy brewing with a Mr Beer to the guy with $10,000 invested in equipment can hold out hope that they'll do well. As the format stands, that's the type of competition NHC is. Someday there may be qualifying standards, but until that time take your elitist attitude somewhere else.

I don't think it is an elitist attitude to believe that the NHC should be geared towards judging the best beers. I received a 41.5 on one of my beers....but only one judge of the two was BJCP certified. I would rather of had those two judges simply select mine for a mini BOS and THEN have my beer "judged"....ideally by a National or higher ranked judge. IMO that score would carry much, much more weight than the current way. Not to mention that would speed up the process tremendously since there would only be 100-200 beers to "judge" You are talking about the best judges judging the best beers. I just cringe when I hear of a brewer receiving a 45 and then not even placing.
You do describe the NHC in its' current form correctly though. A lot of brewers see it as "well you don't know unless you enter" or "I might get lucky" comp. That is why it fills up literally in hours if not minutes. Under the system change I am proposing the NHC would still fill up. It would just take a little bit longer BUT I believe the quality of beer judged would be an all time high. There would be less people entering just to enter.

We are still talking about the National Homebrew Competition, correct? If you're looking for the best of the best of the best, sounds like its time to go pro and hit GABF. Otherwise, last time I checked, its still an amateur competition, and I pay AHA dues and entry fees just like everyone else.

I just cringe when I hear of a brewer receiving a 45 and then not even placing.

Or, like in my case, where a 30 squeezes it's way into mini BOS (judged by recognized and certified) and gets 1st place in Mini BOS which had a Grand Master III judging....something funny going on there.

Got mine from St. Paul.... American Brown Ale - 3rd place.
Mini BOS for Mild, Scored a 35 on an oldish pilsner... neither moved on.

Disappointed in a Dortmunder that had won at Drunk Monk and IBU Open with 40's in both comps.... scored 24....... Not sure what happened there. Maybe a bad bottle, Maybe I did a bad job filling it..... not sure.

But, happy to get one through and moving on.

Had to be a bad bottle. That's a tough break man. At least you know for certain that you've got one through.

Latest posts

Back