I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idaho chainsaw forum? I can imagine the white supremacist heathens from the panhandle not much liking the Mexi-Mormons down south. :D

Sigh, I miss it there.

Not that this is even in Idaho, it's in Washington but here's me in another life.

009.JPG

We got a little snow yesterday and supposed to get more today up in the high country. Kind of bummed since I am ready to go camping right now :D

LOL It is a politics forum. And let me tell you it gets entirely to crazy there sometimes. Some folks just will not even listen to another point of view

To brew today or not to brew, that is the question. Bottled last night and now I have 2 empty fermenters. Can't stop thinking about it, how empty they are.

I finally have 2 batches in the secondaries ageing while the quad-kegerator is full.

I've never been so stocked up. I love it.

AND I'm ready to brew a 3rd.

Life is good!

Late getting started but about to start a batch, the empty fermenters won't leave me alone.

So, I got crapped on by a chicken today, he shat on my foot. Was only a matter of time, that's what I get for playing with chickens. I shall call it my christening.

So, I just kegged for the first time, and I'm pretty excited about it.

I also brewed today, and had a perfect brew day. Got great efficiency and finished in record time in spite of adding kegging for the first time.

IMG-20130406-00750.jpg

So, I just kegged for the first time, and I'm pretty excited about it.

It is exciting. Now don't screw it up by overcarbonating. I was really excited when I started kegging and kept trying to rush it and then drinking foamy beer.

There are lots of things that cause that, you'll see all of them eventually I'm sure.

Try filling your keg with it closed. Fill through the beerside post. If you get a beer-side quick disconnect and attach it to your siphon hose, you can close your keg, fill with CO2, open the pressure relief valve, snap the QD onto the beer-out post, and fill that way. It really doesn't take any more work and is a much better way to fill that keg. No O2, no splashing.

For the QD, get the kind with the separate barb that screws onto the QD. That way it's easy to disassemble for cleaning.

Late Niters, it's saturday and I'm dragging the first lady out. She's been working out a lot, she's in shape and dressing pretty fancy, makes me look like the gardener all the time. Meh.

I need to get to the shop and pick up some modern threads. Have a rocking good Sat nite everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brewing today, earlier than planned (didn't clean out the garage to beautiful outside to be working). I've about had it with cheapo thermometers. Between mine they both seem to agree that a glass full of ice cubes and water read the same, but somewhere around 160 there is a 7-8 degree split between them and one of them, my cheese thermometer says water boils at 218 here at nearly sea level. The cheap Harbor Freight digital one got two out of three correct so I'm using it but going to buy a decent thermometer. I can handle a couple of degree error but not 7-8 degrees in mash temps and strike water.
Okay I feel better. :eek:

passedpawn said:
Late Niters, it's saturday and I'm dragging the first lady out. She's been working out a lot, she's in shape and dressing pretty fancy, makes me look like the gardener all the time. Meh.
No pic? You're a cruel man, PP.. Enjoy your date night.

Dan said:
Brewing today, earlier than planned (didn't clean out the garage to beautiful outside to be working). I've about had it with cheapo thermometers. Between mine they both seem to agree that a glass full of ice cubes and water read the same, but somewhere around 160 there is a 7-8 degree split between them and one of them, my cheese thermometer says water boils at 218 here at nearly sea level. The cheap Harbor Freight digital one got two out of three correct so I'm using it but going to buy a decent thermometer. I can handle a couple of degree error but not 7-8 degrees in mash temps and strike water.
Okay I feel better. :eek:

You should get on these guys mailing list, and wait for them to do a open box sale.
http://www.thermoworks.com/?utm_sou...o&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=ltd_ed_coals
They usually do them about every 6 months or so, and you can pick one up for $60 vs $100. It's a lot to spend, but it is more or less waterproof which is a nice thing, and you will find that it is the only thermometer you'll ever need. It's not a need but a want, but once you bite the bullet you'll be glad you have it.

You should get on these guys mailing list, and wait for them to do a open box sale.
http://www.thermoworks.com/?utm_sou...o&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=ltd_ed_coals
They usually do them about every 6 months or so, and you can pick one up for $60 vs $100. It's a lot to spend, but it is more or less waterproof which is a nice thing, and you will find that it is the only thermometer you'll ever need. It's not a need but a want, but once you bite the bullet you'll be glad you have it.

Thanks BB. I've always used one thermometer and decided today to use my cheese thermometer as a second check. Lost faith in both.

I'll check that place out. Worth the investment.

Here's what I've been doing the last 35 minutes, while listening to good music of course. Watching the mash um, mash. Forty minutes to go and then I'll recirc for a bit and transfer to the keggle then sparge.

mashing-59350.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks Pappy. I'm still getting used to the pump. I think things went smoother when I gravity fed but with time I'm sure I'll smooth this out too.

The electric HLT is a bit underpowered so I've been heating the strike water in the keggle and transferring straight to the mash tun and then heating sparge water and transferring into the HLT and use the heater to keep the water hot. This frees up the keggle for the first running and I have pleny of strike and clean up water available.

Not the most efficient system but at least using less propane than before. And it's kind of fun. :D

passedpawn said:
Here I am. Probably a bit older than you thought. Oh, you wanted pics of my wife? Dream on.

That's ok, not everyone feels comfortable putting pictures up for all to see. I know she's a looker though, because she thought her lost cellphone buzzing in the car door pocket was an automobile problem. That's something only a cutey would do ;)

It is exciting. Now don't screw it up by overcarbonating. I was really excited when I started kegging and kept trying to rush it and then drinking foamy beer.

There are lots of things that cause that, you'll see all of them eventually I'm sure.

Try filling your keg with it closed. Fill through the beerside post. If you get a beer-side quick disconnect and attach it to your siphon hose, you can close your keg, fill with CO2, open the pressure relief valve, snap the QD onto the beer-out post, and fill that way. It really doesn't take any more work and is a much better way to fill that keg. No O2, no splashing.

For the QD, get the kind with the separate barb that screws onto the QD. That way it's easy to disassemble for cleaning.

Will that work on pin-locks? I don't have a pressure relief on my pin-locks, but I do have a little plastic depressor that I can put on the gas post to relieve pressure.

FWIW I did a very gentle transfer without splashing, and I had purged the keg first. You could see the "fumes" of co2 in the keg when I racked. Then I purged about 4-5 times after closing it up. The way you mentioned does sound a lot better, though.

Hopefully it won't be over carbed. I'm using a method that NordeastBrewer uses.
purge it and set co2 to ~30-40 psi. Leave it on high pressure for 2-3 days, then kill the gas overnight. The next day, set it to serving psi (~1 lb per foot of line) and you're good. Whatever you do, don't shake your kegs to carb, kills the aroma.
I figured I'd only do the 30lb for 24 hours to be on the safe side.

Sure Mike, it works the same with pinlocks. You'll know if there is to much backpressure in the keg when the beer stops transferring, release more CO2. Like anything, just takes a little practice. :D

I do about 30 PSI for 24-36 hours and then vent and reduce to 12 for a week or so. Seems to work okay.

How long are your beer lines?

I quick charge them sometimes. I do exactly what Dan said above. I've got a dual regulator, so I can do one fast and leave the other kegs at serving pressure. The dual body regulators cost more of course, but give you some options (root beer!).

Pappy, I've wanted to make root-beer but from some things I've read root-beer needs 40-50 psi. The safety relief on my ball-lock keg lets go around 35. What pressure do you successfully use for root-beer?

Side bar. Brewing a five gallon batch in a 15 keggle. Lost track of time, not by much. Hot break occured while I wasn't looking.. Lucky! No boilover.

Just threw in the 60 minute hops and set the timer. I'll pay more attention this time. Probably.

Thanks guys!

I do about 30 PSI for 24-36 hours and then vent and reduce to 12 for a week or so. Seems to work okay.

How long are your beer lines?
That's pretty much exactly what I was going to do. My beer line is 12 ft.

I quick charge them sometimes. I do exactly what Dan said above. I've got a dual regulator, so I can do one fast and leave the other kegs at serving pressure. The dual body regulators cost more of course, but give you some options (root beer!).

I did indeed buy a dual regulator right off the bat as per recommendation from a friend.

I know I have a lot to learn, but I'm enjoying myself with it.

Side bar. Brewing a five gallon batch in a 15 keggle. Lost track of time, not by much. Hot break occured while I wasn't looking.. Lucky! No boilover.

Just threw in the 60 minute hops and set the timer. I'll pay more attention this time. Probably.

Nothing like a nice, relaxing brew session!

That's one nice thing about a 15 gal keggle. I don't use mine unless I'm brewing 10 gallons. I use my 11 gal kettle for my typical 6 gallon batches. After hot break I tend to ignore the boil until hop additions come up. Meanwhile I either multi-task, eat, or even nap. :D

Hubby asked did I know where the head light is? I said, yep, 2 of them right on the front of the truck. Oh, he meant that light that straps to our foreheads like a miner. Have you seen the reading glasses out that have lights on both sides? So at night the whole family can walk around without any other lights on and neighbors can think we're aliens with our glowing eyes.

Pappy, I've wanted to make root-beer but from some things I've read root-beer needs 40-50 psi. The safety relief on my ball-lock keg lets go around 35. What pressure do you successfully use for root-beer?

I keep my root beer at 40psi. I need a 30' beer line to keep the glass from foaming.

Most ball locks come with a pressure relief valve set at 135psi I think. Are you sure about yours? You can replace the PRV fairly cheaply I think. My shop has replacements.

So today I had to work on the deck. Finish pulling up the old deck boards (started last weekend) and railing. Then put up new railing posts (so the deck is current with code) and start putting down the new PVC decking. After working for nine hours I feel like I've had the crap beat out of me! I'm definitely feeling all of my almost 47 years tonight and hoping the Aleeve and beer help me recuperate enough to go out and do it again tomorrow! In the meantime this was the song from iTunes that stuck in my mind today - awesome group and one of the best opening acts I ever saw when they opened for CSN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, I would truly like to have a brew day with you.

Peace my brother from a different mother.
Someday we'll get that chance my brother!

I keep my root beer at 40psi. I need a 30' beer line to keep the glass from foaming.

Most ball locks come with a pressure relief valve set at 135psi I think. Are you sure about yours? You can replace the PRV fairly cheaply I think. My shop has replacements.
Have you ever had or made hard root beer?

So today I had to work on the deck. Finish pulling up the old deck boards (started last weekend) and railing. Then put up new railing posts (so the deck is current with code) and start putting down the new PVC decking. After working for nine hours I feel like I've had the crap beat out of me! I'm definitely feeling all of my almost 47 years tonight and hoping the Aleeve and beer help me recuperate enough to go out and do it again tomorrow!

I can relate! I hope the pills and beer do the trick for you!

Hubby asked did I know where the head light is? I said, yep, 2 of them right on the front of the truck. Oh, he meant that light that straps to our foreheads like a miner. Have you seen the reading glasses out that have lights on both sides? So at night the whole family can walk around without any other lights on and neighbors can think we're aliens with our glowing eyes.

I've been wanting to get a baseball cap with those kind of lights on them. They sell them at Lowes. It would be great for my old, aging eyes when I'm doing detailed carpentry at work.

Brewing, kegging, napping. I'm feeling left out. Dang, I bet you all even have your taxes already done. Homework tonight and taxes tomorrow. I did manage to fit in a two hour bicycle ride and start my first batch of sonofgrok's rice wine. I'm also very interested in how Leadgolem's RYR project will turn out.

My chickens are sleepy and boring right now. Today I chased one around the yard for a while. That one doesn't like me, not sure why.

I've been procrastinating on taxes. I'll have to buckle down on it this week.

Taxes suck!!! I don't know what else to say about them. But will find something.

I paid mucho dinero in Fed taxes this year, every year. Then as my buddies were getting thousands of dollars back I was notified I had to pay. Hey guys.. I'm not wealthy. All tax breaks are gone.

I have a house and the interest payments help but crap. I'm not going to say how much fed tax I paid this year but will say if I only had to pay half as much and got a dollar back. I'd be pretty happy.

I'm am sick of paying and at the end of the year finding out I have to pay more. I'm married with a child and in my pay select single and zero. Still the IRA kills me at the end of the year.

MIke... I understand.

My chickens are sleepy and boring right now. Today I chased one around the yard for a while. That one doesn't like me, not sure why.

It could be a result from being chased or more likely the method of chasing. Let's see, how to put this delicately. You weren't screaming bloody murder while chasing the chick were you?

When I was little I was chased by my mother with a yard stick. It was worse when she was also yelling at me while she was chasing me. Something like, "I can't believe you broke the window, you wait till your father gets home" type of stuff.:cross:

Well BobbiLynn. You could have slammed an old 2 x 4 on a Rooster's head like my big brother did. Didn't work out well though. Darn rooster was meaner than ever after that.

I think domineering presence is your answer.

Taxes suck!!! I don't know what else to say about them. But will find something.

I paid mucho dinero in Fed taxes this year, every year. Then as my buddies were getting thousands of dollars back I was notified I had to pay. Hey guys.. I'm not wealthy. All tax breaks are gone.

I have a house and the interest payments help but crap. I'm not going to say how much fed tax I paid this year but will say if I only had to pay half as much and got a dollar back. I'd be pretty happy.

I'm am sick of paying and at the end of the year finding out I have to pay more I'm married with a child and in my pay select single and zero. Still the IRA kills me at the end of the year.

MIke... I understand.

Taxes definitely suck!

I technically get a refund, but the IRS keeps it every year towards an outstanding balance I have with them. When the economy tanked a few years ago my business struggled and I fell behind on employment taxes. Needless to say, since they keep it all I don't file until the 13th hour!

It could be a result from being chased or more likely the method of chasing. Let's see, how to put this delicately. You weren't screaming bloody murder while chasing the chick were you?

I was being nice, here little chicky-chick, com'ere chicky-poo, but my dog did get in on the chase, I told him you go around that side, I'll block this side, finally snagged the thing.

Back