Can I use a belgian wheat yeast for my 1554 clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer8700

Reaction score
So, I had a thread going about a week ago asking about my 1554 clone that I have brewing right now. A brief run-down of what happened...I bottled too soon, and was running the risk of bottle bombs...I found that out on here. Through asking questions, my best option was to transfer each bottle back into the fermentor and let it continue to ferment. Well, its been eight days since then, and I checked my gravity today, and it is still exactly the same as when I bottled, so I dont think there is enough yeast left to do the trick.
So my question now is, do I need to add more yeast, and how soon? I am a long ways from the nearest HBS, and don't know if they would even carry the white labs southern german lager yeast that I used to begin with. My best option would be to order the yeast, and hope I get it in the mail before the beer goes bad...will it go bad sitting there not fermenting? I have a pack of Wyeast belgian wheat yeast in my fridge that is suppose to be for my next batch. I was wondering what the results would be if I was to pitch that yeast into my 1554 to get it to ferment? Does anyone have any thoughts on this, would it be a mistake to pitch two different kinds of yeast in the same batch?
I was thinking to then take the yeast from the 1554 once it ferments, and use it in my honey wheat I have coming up next, or if this would be a poor idea. I could use all your opinions, so please be honest with me.

I think I am going to just order the white labs wlp838 southern german lager yeast that I originally pitched. Should I only pitch like half of it so there isnt a ton of yeast left in it since its already half fermented? Any thoughts?

Back