About to take saw to the Danby, is there a better way?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billpaustin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Danby 440. It can take 1 co2 and 1 5-gal corny, with no modifications. I read that to add room for the 2nd corny, I have to saw off the shelf plastic in the door.

Is there a better way? I haven't found any easy screws or connectors, so maybe sawing it off is the best way.

There are screws that hold both the plastic door inset and the door gasket in place. Unless they've changed things drastically. :p

I then took a piece of white corrugated plastic to put in place of the door insert. I've read of people using white board as well.

not 100% sure what model mine is but I had to hack the entire front off the door of there was no screws holding the panel in place, it was all the expanding foam insulation holding it in place

My bad, I went and actually checked the model on mine, and its a 125. the 125 and the 440 seem pretty darn similar, but i guess the method of attachment of the door panel may be one of the differences.

There are screws that hold both the plastic door inset and the door gasket in place. Unless they've changed things drastically. :p

I then took a piece of white corrugated plastic to put in place of the door insert. I've read of people using white board as well.

The new model of the 440 BL replaced the screws with glue so you have to cut out the door instead. Much messier...

Yeah, that's what I thought, was hoping there were some hidden screws or something.

This is all I had to do with the door to fit two kegs....

image.jpg

Yeah, the new ones are glued on. Just remove the gasket and use a dremel to cut around the whole thing and pull it off. I can take some pics of mine if itll help. Keep in mind that if you remove the door shelving the light wont turn off when you close the door. I removed the whole thing rather than cuting certain parts off the shelf because it looks cleaner (after you put a board of some sort where the door shelf used to be).

I used a box cutter/xacto knife to cut out the extended shelving parts. Then the flat white backing just peeled off. Took maybe 20 minutes. Pretty easy.

Ok, it's done! I'm drinking beer from my new kegerator! :mug:

I left the door liner in place, and used a saws-all to just cut it back like is shown by Banshee. Only took about 10 minutes. I also installed a dual tower, stainless, and two Perlick 525ss faucets.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Ok, it's done! I'm drinking beer from my new kegerator! :mug:

I left the door liner in place, and used a saws-all to just cut it back like is shown by Banshee. Only took about 10 minutes. I also installed a dual tower, stainless, and two Perlick 525ss faucets.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Pics or it didn't happen :)

Now I need to add some kind of velcro fastener or something, to keep the co2 bottle in place; it keeps wanting to fall forward.

I'll have to figure out how to upload pics. It looks really good; I just built my house, and went with maple cabinets, and floors, black granite countertops, and stainless appliances. This thing fits right in :)

Now I need to add some kind of velcro fastener or something, to keep the co2 bottle in place; it keeps wanting to fall forward.

I'll have to figure out how to upload pics. It looks really good; I just built my house, and went with maple cabinets, and floors, black granite countertops, and stainless appliances. This thing fits right in :)

I use two small bungee cords that hook into the shelf notches.

Back