Crystal Malts vs. Special B

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
Can someone give me real-world feedback on the taste difference between Crystal 120 vs. Special B and Crystal 150 vs. Special B.

Lastly, is there a difference in taste between Crystal 120 and Crystal 150? Is taste perceptible in a 5 gallon batch.

When would you use Crystal 120 or 150 instead of Special B?

Best advice I can give you is next time you are in your lhbs, take a taste of all of the malts you are interested in. It will give you a real good idea of what it will taste like in your beer.

I think 120 and Special B are the same malt just from a different maltster. I also believe that they both offer more of a prune like flavor over roasty/caramel.

I think 120 and Special B are the same malt just from a different maltster. I also believe that they both offer more of a prune like flavor over roasty/caramel.
i disagree with your first statement. SB and C-120 are not the same. SB has more prune. it also has a very distinctive taste, i can usually pick out SB in just about any beer. C-120/C-150/etc are more caramel and straight-up sweetness.

Back